It had 137 retweets and 57 favorites as of this writing. It was painful, accurate and popular. It was not the first instance of an Angels player speaking from the heart, but it was presented without filter, which is often the best way to present your thoughts:
This is not fun anymore!
— ernesto frieri (@ernasty49) May 8, 2013
You’ve got to hand it to Ernesto Frieri. He got our attention. On a day when the Angels hit three home runs, C.J. Wilson struck out 12 batters in 6 ⅓ innings, and the bullpen (which consisted entirely of Mark Lowe on Tuesday), the mood was still the same after a 7-6 loss to the Houston Astros. Frieri took time to write back several tweeters with a more uplifting tone. Even this guy:
“@ernasty49: This is not fun anymore!” Play naked or drunk (or both). That’s what I do when baseball isn’t fun anymore.
— Littlest Jon (@JonofFullerton) May 8, 2013
Onto some bullet points:
• SBNation.com’s Rob Neyer is shocked that the Angels are 11-21 but still likes their chances better than the Blue Jays’.
• ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden suggests that the Angels trade C.J. Cron for a middle-of-the-rotation starter.
• Is Albert Pujols hurting the Angels? It’s a topic of discussion today on nbcsports.com.
• Which of the Angels players aren’t underperforming? BaseballProspectus.com identifies three.
• What was the greatest baseball season ever? Pick one and write a book.
• The song “You,” leaked from the new Bibio album, somehow manages to reference J Dilla and the theme song from “Twin Peaks.” (Sorry, embedding was apparently disabled, but click here and it’ll pop up.)