Jorge Linares makes a happy man out of his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya

Anthony Crolla, left, and Jorge Linares pose after this past Friday’s weigh-in for their fight Saturday in England/Photo courtesy of Lawrence Lustig, Matchroom Boxing

 

Jorge Linares of Venezuela entered his fight this past Saturday against WBA lightweight champion Anthony Crolla having already held the WBC belt. But Linares was stripped of that title in February when he could not make a mandatory defense because of a fractured hand.

That said, Linares was eager to once again be a world champion. He did not disappoint himself as he took Crolla’s title via unanimous decision at Manchester Arena in Crolla’s native England.

Linares’ promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, was stoked about what he saw from Linares and what he might see in the future from him.

“Jorge Linares has proven himself once again as a world champion fighter with incredible skill, strength and talent. This is a fighter that continues to fight the best and win against the best in the lightweight division,” De La Hoya said. “Linares gave us a highly entertaining and thrilling fight against Anthony Crolla today, and we can’t wait to see what more is to come from him following this tremendous … victory.”

Linares, 31, is now 41-3. Crolla, 29, is 31-5-3. He was trying to make his second successful title defense.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Trey Lippe Morrison adds another notch to knockout belt with first-round beatdown of Ed Latimore in Oklahoma

Trey Lippe Morrison hammers Ed Latimore during the first round of their heavyweight fight Friday in Miami, Okla./Photo courtesy of Tom Casino, Showtime

 

Heavyweight prospect Trey Lippe Morrison is now 12-0 with 12 knockouts after his first-round knockout of Ed Latimore on Friday night at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla. The card was televised on Showtime as part of its ShoBox series.

Morrison, of Tulsa, is the son of late heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison, who died in 2013 at age 44. The younger Morrison, who will be 27 on Tuesday, is a former college football defensive end who did not lace up the gloves until he was 24.

Latimore (13-1, 7 KOs), of Pittsburgh, was expected to be Lippe Morrison’s stiffest test to date.

“To win a fight like this is definitely a relief,” Lippe Morrison said. “I was nervous about the fight, but not about fighting on TV.  This was supposed to be my toughest fight on paper, and I think I did well.

“I feel I may have opened some eyes, but that’s in large part to (trainer) Freddie Roach. I feel I’m improving, thanks to Freddie. I’m throwing quicker, snappier punches and the coordination between my footwork with my hands is way better. All that is because of Freddie.”

 It was Morrison’s television debut.

In the light heavyweight main event, Radivoje “Hot Rod” Kalajdzic (22-1, 15 KOs) of Bosnia and Herzegovina stopped previously unbeaten Travis Peterkin (16-1-1, 7 KOs) of Brooklyn in the fifth round.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Tyson Fury for the second time pulls out of rematch with Wladimir Klitschko

Tyson Fury/Photo courtesy of Hennessy Sports

 

The heavyweight championship rematch between Tyson Fury of England and Wladimir Klitschko of the Ukraine on Friday was called off for the second time. The two were to tangle Oct. 29 in England, but a statement from Hennessy Sports, which promotes Fury, indicated it won’t happen.

The two first fought this past November in Germany, Fury winning a unanimous decision and Klitshcko’s three belts. They were slated to go at it again in July, but Fury claimed to have a sprained ankle.

Here is the today’s statement, verbatim, from Hennessy Sports: “It is with the deepest regret that we have to announce that the World Heavyweight Championship rematch between Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko, scheduled to take place on the 29th October 2016 at the Manchester Arena, will not be going ahead.

“Tyson has, this week, been declared medically unfit to fight. Medical specialists have advised that the condition is too severe to allow him to participate in the rematch and that he will require treatment before going back into the ring. Tyson will now immediately undergo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery.

“We and Tyson wish to express our sincerest apologies to all those concerned with the event and all the boxing fans who had been looking forward to the rematch. Tyson is understandably devastated by the development.

“We will be making a further statement in due course. Until then, we ask that Tyson and his family be given the privacy and the space he needs to recover during this difficult time.

 The statement did not include what is wrong with Fury. A story on ESPN.com that cited sources suggested mental health issues might be at the forefront.
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Radivoje Kalajdzic looking to take controversial loss out on Travis Peterkin

Image result for Radivoje Kalajdzic photos

Radivoje Kalajdzic/Photo courtesy of BoxRec.com

 

Travis Peterkin (16-0-1, 7 KOs) is undefeated, but on Friday night he’ll be going against a ticked-off fighter who still hasn’t gotten over what he believes was a poor decision. That would be Radivoje Kalajdzic of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Kalajdzic (21-1, 14 KOs) – nicknamed “Hot Rod” – in April lost a split-decision to Marcus Browne at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

“I was very upset after my last fight,” said Kalajdzic, who will take on Peterkin at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla. (on Showtime). “I wasn’t really mad necessarily at myself or my team; it was mostly the referee (Tony Chiarantano). Then, afterward when I saw the reaction from the fans, who totally booed the decision – even took their Marcus Browne T-shirts off – I didn’t feel so badly.

“On Friday, I want to come in and look great and hopefully stop this guy. I want to look better and cleaner than I did against Browne. I fought OK against Browne, but I should have used my jab more and not allowed him to grab and hold me so much.”

Peterkin, of Brooklyn, figures this will be a difficult fight to win, but he seems confident enough.

“The key is controlling what goes on in the ring, be smart and listen to my corner,” he said. “I feel this is definitely the toughest fight for me, and for him, too.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Isaac Chilemba stoked to be added to Sergey Kovalev-Andre Ward card

Isaac Chilemba/Photo courtesy of Main Events

 

Going the distance with light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-0-1) is not easy, as he has come through with knockouts in 26 of his 31 pro bouts. Isaac Chilemba went all 12 rounds with Kovalev in July. Chilemba lost a wide decision, but he is now getting his reward for surviving what most can’t.

Chilemba on Thursday was added to the Kovalev-Andre Ward card Nov. 19 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, an event that will be televised by HBO pay-per-view. Chilemba (24
-4-2, 10 KOs), of South Africa, will take on contender Oleksandr Gvozdyk (11-0, 9 KOs) of the Ukraine in a 10-round fight.

Chilemba is stoked. As is his new trainer, Roy Jones Jr.

“Isaac is a very exciting fighter with a lot of upside,” Jones said. “I am very excited to be training him and be part of his team now. I look forward to seeing much
bigger and better things from him in the future.”

Chilemba seems over the moon for the opportunity to work with Jones, who will one day be enshrined in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

“I’m going to work with my idol, the person I look up to most, Roy Jones Jr.,” Chilemba said. “This is a huge opportunity for me to train with him, learn from him and
have him in my corner. Not only is he the greatest, but he cares and has love for the game.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Trey Lippe Morrison wants to do what late father Tommy Morrison did – win a heavyweight world title

Trey Lippe Morrison hopes to be as successful in the ring as his father Tommy Morrison. (Photo courtesy of Sherry Cook)

Trey Lippe Morrison, left, is the son of late heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison/Photo courtesy of Sherry Cook

 

Being the son of the late Tommy Morrison comes with a price. People want to know you because of who your dad was, which can be beneficial to an up-and-coming boxer. There are also expectations because dad was once heavyweight champion of the world.

Heavyweight prospect Trey Lippe Morrison is cool with all that.

“It doesn’t really bother me that people probably first come and want to watch me fight or want to ask me anything because of who my dad is,” Lippe Morrison said. “I kind of saw that coming.”

He admits he does feel the burden of having a father who was so successful in the ring.

“Yeah. I think there’s a lot of pressure on me to do well, and I think that really weighed on me the first couple of fights,” Lippe Morrison said. “That’s always going to be there. No matter who I fight, or how good I do, they are always going to compare me to my dad. I just have to deal with it.”

Lippe Morrison on Friday night will put his unblemished record of 11-0 with 11 knockouts on the line when he takes on Ed Latimore (13-0, 7 KOs) of Pittsburgh at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla. (on Showtime).

Lippe Morrison, 26, is raw, as he didn’t even lace up the gloves until he was 24 and had nary an amateur bout. He had wanted to play football in the NFL and was a defensive end at Central Arkansas.

“But I screwed up in college and kicked off the team my senior year,” he said.

Not ready to walk away from athletics, a light went off in his head.

“The only other sport I could think to give a shot was boxing, you know, because my dad did it,” Lippe Morrison said. “So I was like, ‘Maybe I could do it.’ And around the time football ended for me, my dad passed away and I went to Tony Holden, my promoter.”

Holden promoted many of Tommy Morrison’s fights. He turned his son down flat, though.

“So I told him I was going to try boxing without him,” said Lippe Morrison, of Tulsa, Okla. “And he was like, ‘OK.’ And we parted ways and about three days later he gave me a call and he was like, ‘Hey, if you’re going to do it, I’m going to help you out.’ ”

Lippe Morrison at times sounds exactly like his father, who died Sept. 1, 2013 at age 44. Morrison’s mother said her son had full-blown AIDS. Morrison was diagnosed with HIV in 1996, which he later claimed was a false positive.

Upon learning of his diagnosis, Tommy Morrison admitted a wild lifestyle was responsible. His son said that his father did advise him about not making the same mistakes he made. During a telephone conversation, it seemed that’s what Lippe Morrison remembered most about his father – their buddy-buddy talks.

“I had a good relationship with him,” said Lippe Morrison, who will be 27 Tuesday. “I would say, if you saw us hanging out, you would think we were like good pals. Good friends, you know? The relationship we had, it was cut short and we didnt get to hang out a lot. But the times we did get to hang out, it was great and fun.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Reminder: Bobby Chacon’s upcoming services are Friday and Monday

Bobby Chacon v Cornelius Boza-Edwards : News Photo

Bobby Chacon tangles with Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Chacon winning a unanimous decision in May 1983 in Las Vegas. It was named Fight of the Year by Ring Magazine/Photo courtesy of Getty Images, Ring Magazine

 

The public is invited to a celebration service for boxer Bobby “Schoolboy” Chacon that will be held Friday from 6-10 p.m. at Stevens Steak & Seafood House in the City of Commerce. Chacon will then be laid to rest Monday at the San Fernando Mission Cemetery in Mission Hills at 9 a.m. in the Mission Garden Mausoleum.

Chacon, the pride of Pacoima, died Sept. 7 at age 64 after a fall. The two-division world champion suffered from pugilistic dementia for some two decades, the result of his many ring wars.

Chacon fought from 1972-88 and compiled a record of 59-7-1 with 47 knockouts while winning world titles in the featherweight and super featherweight divisions.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Irish Olympian Michael Conlan signs promotional contract with Top Rank Inc.

Michael Conlan

Michael Conlan, left, on Monday signed a promotional contract with Top Rank Inc./Photo courtesy of Getty Images

 

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank Inc. has signed two-time Olympian Michael Conlan of Northern Ireland to a promotional contract. Details were not disclosed.

Conlan won a bronze medal while representing Ireland in the 2012 London Games, but lost a highly controversial decision to Vladimir Nikitin of Russia in the quarterfinals in the recent Rio Games. It was one of many unpopular decisions in Rio.

Conlan, 24, is expected to make his pro debut in early 2017.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Canelo Alvarez has fractured right thumb, prognosis good for full recovery

Canelo Alvarez celebrates after winning the junior middleweight title with a 9th-round knockout of Liam Smith on Saturday/Photo courtesy of Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions

 

Golden Boy Promotions on Monday about noon released a statement that Canelo Alvarez sustained a fracture of his right thumb during his ninth-round knockout of junior middleweight champion Liam Smith this past Saturday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

No surgery will be required, but Alvarez’s thumb will be mobilized for six weeks. Alvarez will not be able to fight the rest of this year, though the statement indicated the prognosis for a full recovery is excellent and the injury should not prevent him from moving forward in his career.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Joseph Diaz Jr. takes another positive step toward his first major title shot

Southpaw Joseph Diaz Jr., right, lands a right hook to the head of Andrew Cancio during their fight Saturday in Arlington, Texas/Photo courtesy of Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions

 

Joseph Diaz Jr. of South El Monte figures to be fighting for his first major title sometime next year, providing he keeps winning. That makes every fight for Diaz vital. A slip, and his plans are disrupted.

Diaz – ranked as high as No. 3 in the world – took another step forward this past Saturday when he stopped Andrew Cancio of Blythe in the ninth round of their featherweight bout slated for 10 rounds. They tangled underneath the junior middleweight title fight between Liam Smith of England and Canelo Alvarez of Mexico; Alvarez won via 9th-round knockout at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“This is a great victory, it will open up so many doors for me moving forward,” said the 23-year-old Diaz, who is 22-0 with 13 knockouts. “I felt very comfortable. I was the better puncher, I was faster and was able to cut the ring more efficiently. I knew that Cancio was going to be a strong guy, I knew he was going to be tough and try to push me around, so I had to be the better fighter. I was able to display my defense and my power.”
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail