Gennady Golovkin/Photo by Gene Blevins
Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin will not fight in June after all and will instead wait to see if he can get Canelo Alvarez in the ring in September, according to a report out of London by ESPN.com.
According to the report, Golovkin had been considering a fight with fellow champion Billy Joe Saunders for June 10 in Golovkin’s native Kazakhstan. But the combination of Golovkin getting banged up in his recent title defense against Daniel Jacobs and Saunders’ promoter Frank Warren wanting to move the fight up a week, Golovkin and his team – which includes K2 Promotions – has decided to pass up that fight and wait for Alvarez.
There is no guarantee Alvarez and his promoter – Oscar De La Hoya – will make the fight with Golovkin. Alvarez and De La Hoya both say they want to make it, but De La Hoya told reporters at a recent news conference that if Alvarez’s fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on May 6 at T-Mobile Arena ends up being terrific, he’d consider doing a rematch of that bout.
That would mean that if Alvarez were to win next month, and in a possible rematch with Chavez, Alvarez would not be getting into the ring with Golovkin until 2018.
The report suggested Golovkin would be interested in fighting Chavez should he beat Alvarez.
Canelo Alvarez, right, reacts to a punch thrown by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in their September 2013 junior middleweight title fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas won by Mayweather/Associated Press photo
Sometimes a rather harsh question can result in a terrific response. Such was the case recently when Canelo Alvarez was asked during a conference call if, after 50 previous opponents, this is the first time he’d like to rip off his opponent’s head.
The question was, of course, in reference to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs), who will take on Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) on May 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). It’s crystal clear that there is no love lost between these fellow Mexicans.
“No, he’s one more of the 50 of all my opponents that I’ve faced,” Alvarez said. “I’ve wanted to rip their head off; I wanted to beat them; I wanted to them knock them out. This is a little extra. There’s a little bit more motivation, of course, because of the rivalry.”
The two will tangle at a catch-weight of 164 1/2 pounds
Sergey Kovalev lands a left jab to the eye of Andre Ward during their fight in November in Las Vegas/Photo by Associated Press
It seems Andre Ward is tired of hearing how he was decked by Sergey Kovalev in the second round of their light heavyweight title fight this past November, and how he was fortunate to get the narrow decision over Kovalev at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
“They have to understand, there’s nothing scary about this man,” Ward said at Monday’s news conference in New York City promoting the June 17 rematch at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). “You realize we just fought 12 rounds four months ago? Everyone wants to highlight the knockdown; that’s probably one of the most beautiful moments of my career.
“And did you guys see the other 10 rounds? Nobody’s talking about that, but that’s what makes us who we are.”
Ward, 33, is from Oakland. He’s 31-0 with 15 knockouts.
Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs), of Russia, intimated he’s concerned that Ward will put out of this second go-round.
“I want to apologize to my fans for my performance the last time, but we’re going to get this squared, either way,” said Kovalev, 34. “We’re going to see who is the best fighter. I’m very excited for June 17. The only thing I hope is that a week or two before the fight, Andre Ward does not get injured and he has enough (courage) to come out and fight me on June 17.”
Manny Pacquiao, right, lands a left cross to the chest of Jessie Vargas during their welterweight title fight in November/Photo by Gene Blevins
Top Rank Inc. on Monday formally announced the welterweight title fight between champion Manny Pacquiao and Jeff Horn. They will tangle July 1 at Suncorp Stadium in Horn’s native Australia. (It will be July 2 in Australia, which is 17 hours ahead of California).
According to a news release, promoters are expecting a crowd of 55,000. Details on how it will distributed on television are forthcoming.
Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs) most recently fought Nov. 5, when he took Jessie Vargas’ title via unanimous decision at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
Horn (16-0-1, 11 KOs) is the No. 2 contender to Pacquiao’s title, but he has not fought anyone of note. He did stop former champion Randall Bailey after seven rounds a year ago this month, but Bailey was 41 at the time. At 29, Horn is nine years Pacquiao’s junior. His 17 bouts have been in either Australia or New Zealand.
Suffice to say, Horn will be getting most of the fan support, being the bout will be in his backyard.
“Manny knows who will be the crowd favorite on July 1, but he can’t wait to give Australia and the world a great performance,” Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said. “It’s going to be unbelievable event.”
Andre Ward, left, and Sergey Kovalev exchange punches during their light heavyweight title fight in November in Las Vegas/Associated Press photo
Seven months after their first go-round, Andre Ward of Oakland and Sergey Kovalev of Russia will do it again June 17 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).
The two squared off this past Nov. 19 for Kovalev’s three light heavyweight world titles at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Ward won a narrow decision by three scores of 114-113. Afterward, Kovalev’s promoter Kathy Duva bemoaned all the clinching Ward was allowed to do. Kovalev thought he won, and wasn’t happy that all three judges were Americans.
Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) on Tuesday seemed to answer to all that in a brief statement.
“I’m going to make it short and sweet,” he said. “You got what you asked for. Now you have to see me on June 17. This time, leave the excuses at home.”
Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) is stoked at the chance to get his titles back.
“I’m glad to know that rematch will happen,” he said. “I really hope that Andre Ward will get into the ring for this rematch.”