Tyson Fury defeats Wladimir Klitschko and is new heavyweight champion

Wladimir Klitschko, left, and Tyson Fury pose during the promotion for Saturday’s fight/Photo by Martin Meissner, Associated Press


Wladimir Klitschko’s long reign as heavyweight world champion ended Saturday when he lost a unanimous decision to Tyson Fury in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Klitschko (64-4) simply could not get his punches going and was a mere shadow of the fighter who had not lost since April 2004 when he lost via 5th-round TKO to Lamon Brewster.

Fury (25-0) won by scores of 115-112, 115.112 and 116-111. Fury lost a point in the 11th round for rabbit punches.

Klitschko is 39, Fury 27.

Fury won three championship belts.

The fight was televised by HBO.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez says he has no fear of heavy-handed Gennady Golovkin


Saul “Canelo” Alvarez lands a left to the jaw of Miguel Cotto on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas/Photo by John Locher, Associated Press


It was Saturday night at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico had just defeated Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico to win a piece of the middleweight championship.

Since Gennady Golovkin holds two of the other three major belts – there are, laughingly, four – the obvious question to Alvarez afterward was, would he like to tangle with Golovkin? Golovkin is a vicious puncher with a 91-percent knockout ratio.

Alvarez replied, pulling no punches.

“A lot of people, before this fight happened, were asking me about Golovkin and I didn’t want to answer because I had respect for the person I was going  to fight tonight,” he said at the post-fight news conference. “But now they can ask me. And I know Golovkin very well. He’s a friend of mine and like I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I have respect for him, but I’m not afraid of anybody. I’ll fight anybody, any time. I’m not afraid of anybody. And if you guys don’t believe me, I’ll get back in the ring, put the gloves on and go another 12 rounds.”


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Miguel Cotto, Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez weigh in before about 7,000 fans

Graphic courtesy of Roc Nation Sports


Approximately 7,000 fans took in Friday’s weigh-in for Saturday’s middleweight fight between Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).

The middleweight limit is 160 pounds, but there is a catch-weight limit of 155. Cotto weighed 153 1/2 pounds, Alvarez 155.

Only Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) can walk out of the ring with the middleweight title belt because the WBC stripped Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) of it earlier this week when he refused to pay the sanctioning fee.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

WBC strips Miguel Cotto of middleweight belt; fight still on

Boxer Miguel Cotto greets the crowd at the start of a news conference, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2012, in New York. Cotto and Floyd Mayweather are scheduled to fight May 5 in Las Vegas.

Miguel Cotto/Photo courtesy of Associ


The World Boxing Council on Tuesday stripped Miguel Cotto of his middleweight title for what the WBC said was his refusal to comply with its rules and regulations. Cotto was set to defend his belt against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Saturday at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). The fight is still on at this time, but Cotto won’t be able to walk away from it as champion, even if he wins, based on the WBC’s action.

Here is part of a statement released by the WBC and its president, Mauricio Sulaiman:

“After several weeks of communications , countless attempts and good faith time extensions  trying to preserve the fight as a WBC World Championship, Miguel Cotto and his promotion did not agree to comply with the WBC Rules & Regulations, while Saúl Alvarez has agreed to do so.  Accordingly, the WBC must rule on the matter prior to the fight.

“The WBC hereby announces that effective immediately  has withdrawn recognition of Miguel Cotto as WBC World Middleweight Champion.  If  Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wins the fight against  Cotto, he will be recognized as  the WBC middleweight world champion .

“The WBC’s decision is premised on the fact that Miguel Cotto and his camp are not willing to abide by the governing WBC Rules & Regulations, and the specific conditions the WBC established to sanction the fight.  Simply put: they are not willing to respect the very same rules and conditions which applied to  Cotto becoming WBC champion. The WBC wishes Miguel Cotto the best of luck as we truly regret the course of action which led to them taking such decision.”

The WBC did not spell out exactly where Cotto failed to live up to his obligations. But several outlets are reporting that Cotto refused to play the $300,000 sanctioning fee for Saturday’s bout.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

After what Terence Crawford did, Manny Pacquiao may look elsewhere

Terence Crawford/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


Terence Crawford was in a sense auditioning for a fight with Manny Pacquiao when he squared off with Canada’s Dierry Jean on Saturday at CenturyLink Center in Crawford’s hometown of Omaha, Neb.

Pacquiao is currently trying to decide who will be his final opponent. Crawford is one of the possibilities. Perhaps Pacquiao won’t want anything to do with Crawford after Crawford decked Jean in rounds 1, 9 and 10 on his way to a 10th-round technical knockout victory.

That gives Crawford a record of 27-0 with 19 knockouts. Saturday’s victory was the first defense of his junior welterweight world title. He is a former lightweight champion as well.

Crawford is 28. Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) is 36 and will turn 37 on Dec.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Gennady Golovkin stops David Lemieux in eighth at Madison Square Garden

Gennady Golokin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions


Gennady Golovkin on Saturday added David Lemieux’s world-title belt to his collection by dominating and stopping Lemieux in the eighth round of their middleweight title-unification bout before over 20,000 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The fight was stopped at the 1:32 mark by referee Steve Willis. Golovkin decked Lemieux in the fifth round.

Golovkin (34-0, 31 KOs) now has 21 consecutive knockouts. Lemieux (34-3, 31 KOs) has now been stopped twice inside the distance.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Deontay Wilder stops Duhaupas in 11th, Dominic Breazeale wins decision

Deontay Wilder

Deontay Wilder/Photo courtesy of Premier Boxing Champions


Deontay Wilder on Saturday evening defended his heavyweight world title for the second time by stopping Johann Duhaupas of France in the 11th round at Legacy Arena in Birmingham, Ala. The bout was stopped by referee Jack Reiss at 55 seconds.

Wilder, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., made his first defense in Birmingham as well, when he knocked out Eric Molina in the ninth round in June at Bartow Arena.

Wilder is now 35-0 with 34 knockouts. The only fighter he hasn’t knocked out as a pro is Bermane Stiverne, from whom Wilder took the title with a unanimous decision in January in Las Vegas.

Wilder was winning by scores of 100-90, 99-91 and 99-91 at the time of the stoppage. There was heavy swelling under Wilder’s left eye, but he dominated and really beat up Duhaupas.

Also on the NBC-televised card, heavyweight prospect Dominic Breazeale of Alhambra is now 16-0 after winning a 10-round unanimous decision over Fred Kassi in the semi-main event. Breazeale, a 2012 U.S. Olympian, won by scores of 98-92, 97-93 and 100-90.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Floyd Mayweather Jr.: ‘I did not commit any violations’ by taking IV

Floyd Mayweather Jr./Photo by Gene Blevins, Hogan Photos


A story published Thursday by the Associated Press has Floyd Mayweather Jr. claiming he did nothing wrong by taking an IV solution to re-hydrate following the weigh-in for this past May’s welterweight title fight with Manny Pacquiao, won by Mayweather via unanimous decision at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather reportedly did not receive a formal exemption from the United States Anti-Doping Agency for the IV until weeks after the fight, but USADA admits it knew of the IV before Mayweather took it and that it contained no illegal substances.

“As already confirmed by the USADA statement, I did not commit any violations of the Nevada or USADA drug testing guidelines,” Mayweather said in a statement. “I follow and have always followed the rules of Nevada and USADA, the gold standard of drug testing.
“Let’s not forget that I was the one six years ago who insisted on elevating the level of drug testing for all my fights.  As a result, there is more drug testing and awareness of its importance in the sport of boxing today than ever before. I am very proud to be a clean athlete and will continue to champion the cause.”
The response by Mayweather and USADA came as a result of this story by Thomas Hauser on SB Nation.
Mayweather will take on Andre Berto at MGM Grand on Saturday night in what Mayweather says will be his final fight.
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder to defend against Johann Duhaupas

Deontay Wilder

Deontay Wilder/Photo courtesy of Premier Boxing Champions


Heavyweight world champion Deontay Wilder will make the second defense of his belt when he takes on Frenchman Johann Duhaupas on Sept. 26 at Legacy Arena in Birmingham, Ala. (on NBC).

Wilder, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., is 34-0 with 33 knockouts. He also made his first defense in his home state when he knocked out Eric Molina in the ninth round in June at Bartow Arena in Birmingham.

Duhaupas has never fought in the United States. But Wilder says Duhaupas will be a tough nut to crack.

“I know my opponent has great size and that’s what we’re looking for in opponents,” Wilder said. “He has a great record and he’s never been knocked out … until he faces me. I know Duhaupas is tough and he comes to fight and that’s exactly what we need.”

Wilder is 6-foot-7. Duhaupas, who is 6-5, is 32-2 with 20 knockouts. He is the No. 12-ranked contender to Wilder’s belt.

“Deontay is a good boxer, but I have the heart of a lion and the mental fortitude to handle anything in the ring,” Duhaupas said.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Miguel Cotto-Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez set for Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas

Saul ‘Canel’ Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions


Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico will defend his middleweight world title against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico on Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). It took some time for an accord to be reached, but the fight was finally announced Thursday by Golden Boy Promotions and Roc Nation Sports.

Cotto, 34, is 40-4 with 33 knockouts. He’ll be looking to make the second successful defense of his title.

Alvarez, a former junior middleweight champion, is 45-1-1 with 32 knockouts.

Cotto is coming off a fourth-round technical knockout of Daniel Geale in June in Brooklyn. Alvarez most recently knocked out James Kirkland in the third round in May in Houston.

“I will give the fans the fight they want to see,” Cotto said. “As I have always said, during my whole career, I am here to fight the best names and the best fighters. This will be another chapter in my career and I will be ready for him. Fans will enjoy a real fight, another classic battle in the Puerto Rico vs. Mexico rivalry.”
Alvarez was equally stoked that a fight fans want is a done deal.
“Historically, mega-fights are made because fans demand them,” Alvarez said. “In this case, the fans have spoken out, longing for this fight and it is my pleasure to say that it is finally happening. All fights at this level are very important, but this fight in particular has something more. It will hold a special place in history as part of the big rivalry between Mexico and Puerto Rico, and I promise all the fans that this is going to be an event that will not disappoint.”
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail