Tyson Fury relinquishes remaining major belts he won from Wladimir Klitschko

Challenger Tyson Fury, right, and world champion Wladimir Klitschko, left, stand on the podium after the Official Weigh-In in Essen, Germany, prior their heavyweight boxing fight, Friday, Nov. 27, 2015. The title clash will take place in Duesseldorf's LTU arena on Saturday. (AP Photo/Martin Meissne

Tyson Fury, right, and Wladimir Klitschko pose after weighing in for their heavyweight title fight this past November in Germany/Associated Press photo by Martin Meissner


The much-maligned Tyson Fury on Wednesday gave up the two remaining major heavyweight championship belts he won from Wladimir Klitschko this past November in Germany.

Fury since has twice pulled out of scheduled rematches with Klitschko, and recently Fury admitted to doing cocaine. He is also reportedly suffering from depression.

His promotional company, Hennessy Sports, released a statement. It read, in part, that Fury was giving up his titles “to fully focus on his medical treatment and recovery.”

Fury said, “I feel that it is only fair and right and for the good of boxing to keep the titles active and allow the other contenders to fight for the vacant belts that I proudly won and held as the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world when I defeated the long-standing champion Wladimir Klitschko. I won the titles in the ring and I believe that they should be lost in the ring, but I’m unable to defend at this time and I have taken the hard and emotional decision to now officially vacate my treasured world titles and wish the next in-line contenders all the very best as I now enter another big challenge in my life which, I know, like against Klitschko, I will conquer.”

Fury, 25-0 with 18 knockouts, won three major titles from Klitschko. Fury, 28, had already been stripped of one of them for agreeing to fight Klitschko in a rematch rather than his mandatory challenger – Vyacheslav Glazkov.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Former junior welterweight champion Aaroy Pryor dies at the age of 60

Aaron Pryor/Photo courtesy of BoxRec.com


Former junior welterweight champion Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor died Sunday at the age of 60. WCPO in Pryor’s hometown of Cincinnati reported Pryor succumbed after a battle with heart disease.

Pryor was one of the most vicious fighters of his time. He compiled a record of 39-1 with 35 knockouts and was best-known for his two epic title fights with Alexis Arguello in 1982 and 1983, won by Pryor by 14th-round technical knockout and 10th-round knockout, respectively.

Pryor was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1996. He fought from 1976-1990. He would have been 61 on Oct. 20.

Fellow all-time great Sugar Ray Leonard was sad to hear the news.

“I have great love, respect and admiration for my longtime friend,” Leonard told WCPO. “He will be greatly missed by so many.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Prospect Andy Vences will prepare for Nov. 4 fight by sparring with featherweight champ Oscar Valdez

Andy Vences

Andy Vences/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


Andy Vences of San Jose is finally going to get a fight that could help propel him toward his goal of winning a world title.

Vences (16-0, 10 KOs) on Nov. 4 will take on another undefeated fighter – Casey Ramos (23-0, 6 KOs) – in the super featherweight main event from Treasure Island in Las Vegas (on UniMas).

“It’s the biggest fight of my career and is a great opportunity for me to show my talent,” Vences said. “I know a win on Nov. 4 will open a lot of doors for me.”

Vences is in the Los Angeles area this week to spar with featherweight world champion Oscar Valdez of Mexico. Valdez is preparing to defend his title for the first time when he takes on Hiroshige Osawa of Japan on the undercard of the Nov. 5 welterweight title fight between Jessie Vargas and Manny Pacquiao at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas (on Top Rank pay-per-view).

Sparring with Valdez is an inspiration to Vences.

“I know this fight against Ramos is very important and I need to have a great camp and great sparring, and Valdez and his team have allowed us to come down and work with the champ,” said Vences, 25. “He (Valdez) has what I want – a championship. My fight is a big step toward that goal.”

Ramos, 27, is from Austin, Texas.

General admission tickets for this Top Rank Inc. card are $50 and are on sale at the Treasure Island box office. They can also be purchased by calling  800-392-1999 or 702-894-7722.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Canelo Alvarez gets second opinion on thumb, and he will not need surgery

Canelo Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions


Junior middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez of Mexico received a good report Wednesday when he visited Los Angeles-area hand and wrist specialist Dr. Kenneth R. Sabbag to get a second opinion on the avulsion fracture of his right thumb.

Alvarez had been told by his personal physician in Mexico he did not need surgery. That was confirmed by Dr. Sabbag.

“So the verdict – he doesn’t need surgery, which is great,” said Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions, for which Alvarez fights.

Gomez said Alvarez will go back to Dr. Sabbag on Nov. 10. If given a clean bill of health, Alvarez will be able to start using the hand to “punch a little bit,” Gomez said.

Gomez also said there is still a chance Alvarez could fight again early next year, but that will only happen if he is 100 percent.

Alvarez sustained the injury during his ninth-round knockout of Liam Smith on Sept. 17 in Arlington, Tecas.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Canelo Alvarez in Los Angeles for second opinion on fractured right thumb

Canelo Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions


Newly crowned junior middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez of Mexico was in Los Angeles on Wednesday to get a second opinion on the avulsion fracture in his right thumb sustained during his ninth-round knockout of Liam Smith on Sept. 17 in Arlington, Texas.

Alvarez fights under the Golden Boy Promotions banner. Its president, Eric Gomez, said Alvarez was going to visit hand and wrist specialist Dr. Kenneth R. Sabbag to make sure that the therapy ordered by Alvarez’s personal physician is all it will take for Alvarez’s recovery.

Gomez said that depending on how things go, Alvarez could be ready to fight again by “early next year.” As for an opponent, Gomez was asked if Willie Monroe Jr. remains a possible opponent for that next fight.

There was talk from Gomez before Alvarez beat Smith that the winner of the undercard fight between Monroe (21-2, 6 KOs) and Gabriel Rosado, who also fights for Golden Boy, could be next for Alvarez. Monroe emerged via wide unanimous decision. But Monroe said in a statement this week he now believes Golden Boy has no intention of giving him the fight.

“I don’t think it’s Canelo himself, but it is his team,” said Monroe, who boxes for Banner Promotions. “I know Canelo would fight me. I think it is his trainers who fear that they can’t prepare Canelo for my style.”

Monroe, of Rochester, N.Y., is a southpaw.

“If he is a true man, they should stick to their word,” Monroe said. “The plan was for the winner of that fight to be able to fight Canelo. They thought Rosado would win, and he would just be a guy that would get pounded by Canelo.

“If the shoe was on the other foot, and it was me who did not want to fight an aggressive fighter, I would look like a punk.”

Gomez during an Aug. 29 conference call did not say the winner of Monroe-Rosado would definitely get Alvarez, but he did say, “The winner of this fight very well could be fighting Canelo in December.”

Well, December wasn’t going to happen once Alvarez injured his thumb, but that hasn’t changed Monroe’s desire to fight Alvarez. Gomez on Wednesday addressed that, saying all options remain possible.

“As is customary with Canelo, we’re going to leave all the doors open,” Gomez said. “We would consider anybody. That’s what’s customary. We’re not going to close any doors.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Art Hovhannisyan wants to put on show Friday in main event at Belasco Theater

Art Hovhannisyan addresses reporters at this week’s media workout in Los Angeles/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions


If Art Hovhannisyan of Glendale stays true to his credo, fans could be in for a good time when he takes on Diego Magdaleno in the junior welterweight main event Friday at Belasco Theater in Los Angeles (on Estrella TV).

“I started my boxing career when I was 12, and was inspired by my favorite boxer, Mike Tyson,” Hovhannisyan said. “I’m the type of fighter that loves to put on a show in the ring.”

Hovhannisyan could have his hands full with Magdaleno, a southpaw out of Las Vegas who is 29-2 with 12 knockouts.

“… I have watched him fight a few times,” Hovhannisyan said. “I know what I have to do in the ring to earn the victory.”

Magdaleno is the older brother of Jessie Magdaleno, who Nov. 5 will challenge Nonito Donaire for his super bantamweight title on the undercard of the Jessie Vargas-Manny Pacquiao welterweight title fight at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas (on Top Rank pay-per-view, $59.95.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Bernard Hopkins will decipher recent fights of Golovkin, Canelo on Wednesday’s episode of ‘The Fight Game with Jim Lampley’

Gennady Golovkin lands a punch to the chest of Kell Brook during their Sept. 10 fight in England/Associated Press photo by Nick Potts


Future Hall of Fame fighter Bernard Hopkins on Wednesday night will decipher the recent performances of middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and now-junior middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez on the next “The Fight Game with Jim Lampley,” on HBO.

Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) on Sept. 10 stopped Kell Brook in the fifth round of their title fight in England. A week later, Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) knocked out Liam Smith in the ninth round in Arlington, Texas. Boxing fans remain hopeful Golovkin and Alvarez will tangle next September.

There will also be a feature on manager Egis Klimas, who manages light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev and super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko.




Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Rancho Cucamonga’s Daniel Franco will look to get ranked when he tangles with Jose Haro in Washington D.C.


Daniel Franco, left, will take on Jose Haro on Nov. 10 in Washington D.C./Photo courtesy of BoxRec.com


Daniel Franco is not yet ready for the big time. But the featherweight prospect from Rancho Cucamonga is definitely looking to get there, and next month he’ll try to take another step in that direction.

Franco (14-0-3, 9 KOs) on Nov. 10 will tangle with Jose Haro (13-1-1, 7 KOs) of West Jordan, Utah, at the Washington Hilton in Washington D.C.

A minor title will be on the line.

“Jose and I have been on a crash course for the last year and I’m glad we can finally settle this in the ring with a title and a world ranking at stake,” said Franco, 24. “My goal is to become a world champion and this opportunity for fight for a top-15 world ranking is the next crucial step.”


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Petr Petrov, a 16-year veteran, earns his second shot at major world title


Petr Petrov, right, lands a punch to the face of Michael Perez/Photo by Kyte Monroe, Banner Promotions


Petr Petrov of Russia has been a professional boxer for nearly 16 years, but he has never held a major world title. Petrov should now get his second opportunity to fight for one.

Petrov on Friday night stopped Michael Perez (24-2-2) of Newark, N.J., after six rounds of their lightweight main event slated for 12 rounds at Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio. It was a title-elimination bout, which means Petrov (38-4-2, 19 KOs) could get a shot at WBA champion Jorge Linares.

“This victory is what I have been working for, to be so close to a world title shot,” said Petrov, 33. Petrov previously fought for a super lightweight world title, but was stopped in the fourth round by Marcos Maidana in September 2011.

Petrov’s promoter, Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions,  liked what he saw.

“Petr looked sensational,” Pelullo said. “He has been getting better every fight, and this is the best he has looked. He has really earned his title opportunity. … Now we will look to make the WBA world title bout as quickly as possible.”
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Andre Ward’s preparation for a fight is unmatched, trainer Virgil Hunter says

Andre Ward celebrates his lopsided unanimous decision over Alexander Brand in August at Oracle Arena in Oakland/Associated Press photo by Eric Risberg


Training camp can be a grind. But Andre Ward of Oakland seems to embrace it.

Ward on Nov. 19 will challenge Sergey Kovalev of Russia for his three light heavyweight championship belts at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). Ward on Monday officially began training camp for the biggest fight of his career, but his head was already there.

“I’ve been in pre-camp mode for weeks now following my last fight, and have been mentally preparing for the work ahead of me,” said Ward, who will train in Hayward. “It’s an exciting feeling to be in full camp mode, where I can dedicate 100% of my mind, body and soul to the battle I am about to face. This is a fight that we have been working up to since last spring. The game plan hasn’t changed. I am here and I am ready.”

Ward’s trainer, Virgil Hunter, said this attitude is what separates Ward from others.

“No one beats Andre Ward when it comes to training camp,” Hunter said. “We’re going into camp with the mentality of ‘Another day, another fight, another win.’ His strive for perfection, work ethic and consistency is what makes him a champion.”

Ward, a former super middleweight champion, is 32. He is 30-0 with 15 knockouts. Kovalev, 33, is 30-0-1 with 26 knockouts.





Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail