Robert ‘The Ghost’ Guerrero, Yoshihiro Kamegai make weight for Saturday’s fight

Image

View GuerreroKamegaiWeighIn_Hoganphotos.jpg in slide show

Photo by Gene Blevins – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions

Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (pictured left) and Yoshihiro Kamegai on Friday both made weight for their welterweight showdown Saturday at StubHub Center

Weighing in at the DoubleTree Hotel in Carson, Guerrero weighed in at 146 pounds, a pound under the 147-pound limit. Kamegai came in at 146.8 pounds.

The semi-main event fighters also made weight. Gary Russell Jr. and Vasyl Lomachenko both weighed 125.4 pounds for their featherweight world-tltle fight; the limit is 126.

Showtime will televise both bouts on the Golden Boy Promotions card.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Yoshihiro Kamegai vows to leave indelible mark in fight with Robert Guerrero

Image

View GuerreroKamegaiWorkout_Hoganphotos3.jpg in slide show

Yoshihiro Kamegai of Japan will take on Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero on Saturday at StubHub Center

Photo by Gene Blevins – Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

It’s safe to say not many boxing fans in United States know a lot about Japan’s Yoshihiro Kamegai, who will be the underdog when he takes on Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero in the welterweight main event Saturday at StubHub Center. He promises to leave a lasting impression, however.

“This is a very important fight and a tremendous opportunity for me,” Kamegai said. “Not a lot of people know me now, but they will after the fight.”

Guerrero, of Gilroy, is 31-2-1 with 18 knockouts. Kamegai is 24-1-1 with 21 knockouts. He has previously fought three times in the U.S.

 

 

 

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Showtime video previewing undercard of ‘Canelo’ Alvarez-Erislandy Lara on July 12

This Showtime video previews the undercard for the July 12 junior middleweight showdown between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico and Erislandy Lara of Cuba at MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Showtime pay-per-view. Just click on the link.

http://youtu.be/5neyd-mr_Do

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Chad Dawson will return to the ring Saturday at StubHub Center

Image

Andre Ward, Chad Dawson

Photo by Jeff Chiu/Associated Press

Andre Ward (left) stopped Chad Dawson in the 10th round in September 2012 in Oakland

 

Chad Dawson just 4 1/2 years ago was looked upon as one of the top light heavyweights in the world. After a November 2009 victory over Glen Johnson, he was 29-0 – 6-0 in world-title fights, 7-0 in you count interim title fights. On his list of wins were two over Antonio Tarver, two over Johnson and one over Tomasz Adamek.

Then Dawson lost to Jean Pascal via 11-round technical decision. Dawson came back with a 12-round decision over Adrian Diaconu, fought to a two-round no-contest against Bernard Hopkins, then beat Hopkins via 12-round majority decision in April 2012, and he still had his respect. But successive knockout losses to Andre Ward and Adonis Stevonson have Dawson on the comeback trail. Dawson was stopped in the 10th round by Ward in September 2012 and was knocked out by Stevenson in the first round in June 2013.

Dawson (31-3, 17 KOs) will be featured on Saturday’s Golden Boy Promotions card at StubHub Center in Carson (on Showtime Extreme). He’ll square off with George “Honey Boy” Blades (24-5, 16 KOs) of Orlando, Fla.

Dawson, of New Haven, Conn., won’t be 32 until July 13. He said he knew he would continue his career after the two devastating setbacks.

“I had the privilege of becoming a world champion early,” he said. “I’ve been a professional for almost 13 years. There was never a doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t come back. I needed to take time to be a family man and come back when I felt like I could come back.

“I’m looking to get back to being the old Chad Dawson, the smart boxer who has height and reach. Once I get back to that, (it’s) back to the top. I’m happy to be back in the game.”

Dawson will be facing a 12-month layoff when he steps into the ring.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Robert ‘The Ghost’ Guerrero anxious to see what he learned from loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Image

View GuerreroKamegaiWorkout_Hoganphotos2.jpg in slide show

Photo by Gene Blevins – Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero will fight for the first time in 13 months Saturday when he takes on Yoshihiro Kamegai (24-1-1, 21 KOs) of Japan in the welterweight main event at StubHub Center (on Showtime).

Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 KOs), of Gilroy, has been inactive this long in part because he had contractual hassles with his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions. The sides didn’t want to touch much on that during a conference call Tuesday – obviously, things are settled enough to where Guerrero is going to fight – but Guerrero did talk about many other things. Included was his one-sided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 4, 2013 in Las Vegas.

“To bounce back, it wasn’t tough at all,” said Guerrero, when asked about the psychological aspect of getting over his first loss in 7 1/2 years. “You’ve gotta learn from experiences like that. I lost to be the best fighter in the world. You want to get better, you want to get stronger, you want to get faster. It really lit a fire under me to become a better fighter. I can’t wait to get out there and fight.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Biggest feather in Robert ‘The Ghost’ Guerrero’s cap is being a good father

Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero has accomplished quite a bit during his 13-year pro career. He has won world titles in the featherweight and super featherweight divisions and he’s won interim world titles in the lightweight and welterweight divisions. That is not what he is most proud of, however.

“Being a father is my biggest accomplishment and the most important aspect of my life,” said Guerrero, reflecting on Father’s Day, which was Sunday. “I teach my kids the right ways of doing things and to treat everyone with respect.

“I feel a duty to raise my kids with love and discipline. I’m a big believer in Jesus Christ so I want to make sure my kids get to know God at an early age.”

Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 KOs), of Gilroy, will tangle with Yoshihiro Kamegai (24-1-1, 21 KOs) of Japan in Saturday’s welterweight main event at StubHub Center (on Showtime).

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Ruslan Provodnikov and Chris Algieri make weight for their showdown Saturday

Image

Photo courtesy of Rich Villa, Star Boxing

Junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia and Chris Algieri of Huntington, N. Y. both made weight Friday for their fight Saturday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (on HBO).

Provodnikov (23-2, 16 KOs) weighed in at 139.8 pounds and Algieri (19-0, 8 KOs) came in at the 140-pound limit.

HBO will also televise the replay of this past Saturday’s middleweight title fight between Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto, won by Cotto via 10th-round TKO.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Ruslan Provodnikov admits he ‘sniffed glue’ as a young man in Russia

Image

Ruslan Provodnikov (left) will defend his title Saturday against Chris Algieri. (Photo courtesy of Banner Promotions)

Ruslan Provodnikov, who will defend his junior welterweight belt Saturday against Chris Algieri at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (on HBO), was very candid recently when talking about his younger days in Russia.

“I did not have an easy time growing up in Siberia,” Provodnikov said. “I don’t know where my childhood friends are now. Most are probably in jail. I stole food, sniffed glue, smoked and drank. My amateur boxing coach saved my life and helped to redirect my life toward being a productive person.”

Provodnikov, 30, is a real brute in the ring. He is 23-2 with 16 knockouts and has become one of the more vicious fighters out there.

Algieri, of Huntington, N.Y., is 19-0 with eight knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad Jr. and Joe Calzaghe inducted into Hall of Fame

Photo by Associated Press

Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad Jr. and Joe Calzaghe were inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame on Sunday in Canastota, N.Y.

De La Hoya, 41, of East L.A., compiled a record of 39-6 with 30 knockouts and won world titles in six weight classes. De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions, retired a few months after he was stopped by Manny Pacquiao after eight rounds in December 2008.

“I was fortunate enough to win an Olympic gold for my country, and winning world titles in boxing is great and not too many people can do that,” De La Hoya told USA Today. “But to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, it’s quite an honor, and I’m so grateful and blessed that I can be part of such a wonderful group, like (Felix) Trinidad and (Joe) Calzaghe.”

De La Hoya not long ago completed his second stint in a drug & alcohol rehabilitation clinic. Also, this past week his longtime CEO – Richard Schaefer – resigned from the company.

One of De La Hoya’s losses was to Trinidad. They tangled in a welterweight title-unification bout in September 1999 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. De La Hoya definitely out-boxed Trinidad, who was more interested in going toe-to-toe. But De La Hoya ran the last three rounds and lost the bout via majority decision.

Trinidad, of Puerto Rico, is 41. He compiled a record of 42-3 with 35 knockouts from 1990-2008. A longtime welterweight champion, he also won titles in the junior middleweight and middleweight classes.

Calzaghe, of Wales, will go down as one of the top super middleweights of his era. He went 46-0 with 32 knockouts from 1993-2008.

He won the super middleweight title in October 1997 and made 21 defenses, becoming a unified champion along the way.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail