Welterweight prospect Javier Molina, a 2008 U.S. Olympian from Norwalk, broke his right hand during sparring Wednesday and is out of his scheduled Jan. 24 fight with former junior welterweight champion Kendall Holt.
The bout was to take place at Little Creek Casino Resort in Shelton, Wash. and was to be televised by ESPN2.
“It’s truly an unfortunate situation for Javier, who has been saddled with hand injuries since the beginning of his career,” said Molina’s promoter, Dan Goossen. “This is the fourth fracture of his hands he’s had to endure. I feel terrible with what this good young man has had to overcome so early in his career.”
Molina, 24, is 14-1 with six knockouts.
Super middleweight champion Andre Ward’s attempt to break free from promoter Dan Goossen failed when the California State Athletic Commission on Friday ruled in Goossen’s favor following a special meeting Tuesday.
Ward had been trying to get out of his contract in part because he said Goossen did not want to attend a meeting called by Ward for himself, manager James Prince, co-promoter Antonio Leonard and Goossen and HBO executives. Prince suggested Goossen wanted to be the only one talking to HBO about Ward’s next fight.
In Ward’s mind, Goossen was hindering his return to the ring after he had shoulder surgery in January. Ward has not fought since last September, when he stopped Chad Dawson in the 10th round in Ward’s hometown of Oakland.
Ward, who has been promoted by Goossen his entire pro career, is 26-0 with 14 knockouts. He is considered the No. 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world in most polls. He is 29.
An arbitration hearing with the California State Athletic Commission to discuss the status of super middleweight champion Andre Ward’s promotional contract with Goossen Tutor Promotions will be held Tuesday, a source very close to the situation said Monday.
There have been rumors in the industry indicating Ward wants to break free from his contract with Goossen-Tutor, which is run by longtime promoter Dan Goossen out of Sherman Oaks.
Ward, one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, had shoulder surgery in January. His most recent fight was a 10th-round TKO of Chad Dawson in September in Oakland.
Calls to Goossen have yet to be returned.
Promoter Dan Goossen tells us that Chris Arreola’s nose was broken in five places in the third round of his April 27 heavyweight title-elimination bout with Bermane Stiverne at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario.
Arreola, who lost a unanimous decision, will have a procedure done on the nose next week to help with its rehabilitation.
The loss was quite a setback for Arreola, 32, who is still trying to become the first heavyweight champion of Mexican descent. He challenged Vitali Klitschko for his title in September 2009 but was stopped after 10 rounds at Staples Center.
Goossen, however, believes Arreola is going to some day reach his goal.
“Is he capable of doing it?” Goossen said. “I believe he still is capable.”
Going back to the nose, Arreola bled profusely from the third round on after his nose was broken with a right cross that put him on the canvas.
“I got up in the ring afterward and throughout my years of seeing our share of blood and guts battles, there was more blood on this ring than I can ever recall seeing before, so Chris obviously lost a lot of blood,” Goossen said.
Goossen said as soon as Arreola’s nose heals, he’ll sit down with him to talk about what’s next.