Floyd Mayweather Jr. (left) and Marcos Maidana/photo by Associated Press
Floyd Mayweather Jr. will put his two welterweight championship belts on the line Sept. 13 when he squares off against Marcos Maidana at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, it was announced Thursday.
The two tangled May 3 at MGM Grand with Maidana giving Mayweather his stiffest test in years, Mayweather coming away with a majority decision.
The rematch, as with the first fight, will be available on Showtime pay-per-view.
Golden Boy Promotions will be the lead promoter, even though Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe initially said they would no longer work with Golden Boy once longtime CEO Richard Schaefer resigned in early June.
But De La Hoya pointed out to this newspaper a couple of weeks ago that Mayweather had reserved that date and site under the Golden Boy banner and that, basically, Mayweather would have to use Golden Boy if he wanted to keep that.
Golden Boy has promoted Mayweather’s last nine fights, even though Mayweather has never been under contract to De La Hoya’s company.
Photo by Associated Press
It didn’t take long for the other shoe to drop. Only hours after Richard Schaefer announced Monday he was resigning as CEO of Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, Floyd Mayweather Jr. declared through the CEO of Mayweather Promotions – Leonard Ellerbe – that he will no longer use Golden Boy to help promote his fights, according to a report on ESPN.com
Mayweather had been using Golden Boy to promote his past nine fights on a handshake. But it was not surprising that Ellerbe told ESPN.com that Mayweather will “absolutely not” use Golden Boy any longer.
Mayweather and De La Hoya have never liked each other much. To the contrary, Mayweather and Schaefer and Ellerbe have solid relationships.
Lots of potential buyers of the Clippers have come out of the woodwork since NBA commissioner Adam Silver on Tuesday brought down the hammer on current owner Donald Sterling, who was caught on tape making several racist remarks about African-Americans. Not only is Sterling banned for life, Silver said he is confident he will get the 75-percent vote of the rest of the owners to force Sterling to sell the team.
Six-Division world boxing champion Oscar De La Hoya released a statement Tuesday evening saying he would love to buy a piece of the Clippers. Interestingly, another boxer – Floyd Mayweather Jr. – has said he would like to purchase the team.
“The league has made it known that it wants more minorities involved, and as a proud Mexican-American, I will bring a different perspective to the NBA in general, and the Clippers in particular,” De La Hoya said. “I was born and raised in Los Angeles, I know what it takes to run a successful sports entity and nothing would make me happier than to bring an NBA Championship home to Southern California sports fans.”
De La Hoya weighed in on Silver’s action on Sterling.
“I applaud NBA Commissioner Adam Silver for his quick and decisive action regarding in the Donald Sterling situation, and his forward thinking will push the league toward a positive future,” said De La Hoya, 41, who last fought in December 2008. “There is no room for racism and unfair treatment in any professional sport, or in life in general. I hope to be a part of positive change for the league.”
It’s doubtful De La Hoya and Mayweather would ever join forces to purchase the Clippers as they really don’t seem to like one another much.
Golden Boy Promotions on Monday announced that former junior welterweight champion Amir Khan of England will take on former welterweight champion Luis Collazo of Brooklyn on May 3 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view).
They will tangle on the undercard of the welterweight title-unification bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana.
TMZ has been reporting this week that Floyd Mayweather Jr. allegedly arranged a beating of two men who had worked at his home “several weeks ago” and allegedly stole some jewelry from Mayweather’s Las Vegas home. But according to Las Vegas Metro Police, it is just a “rumor,” as reported Friday in the New York Daily News.
Laura Meltzer, a public information officer for the Las Vegas Metro Police Department, told the New York Daily News that at this time there is no investigation because no one has come forward to lodge a complaint.
“So I’ve been trying to put this rumor to rest all week,” Meltzer said in a phone interview with the New York Daily News. “We’ve had a variety of reports that have come out stating this even occurred. We have not had a victim come forward and make a report like what is being alleged.
“So if this even occurred, it’s something where the victim has not come forward to the police to make an official complaint.”
A phone call to Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, has not yet been returned.
To no one’s surprise, the May 3 Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana welterweight title-unification bout will take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, a spokeswoman for Golden Boy Promotions confirmed Wednesday.
A deal for the fight was reached Feb. 24 – the day Mayweather turned 37. But until Wednesday the site remained up in the air – though Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told this newspaper it most likely would be at the Las Vegas casino where Mayweather has fought 11 times.
The bout will be available on Showtime pay-per-view.
Mayweather is 45-0 with 26 knockouts. Maidana, of Argentina, is 30. He has a record of 35-3 with 31 knockouts.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been named Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America for the second time.
Mayweather, 36, fought twice in 2013, thoroughly dominating both of his opponents. Mayweather won a wide decision over Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero in May at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Four months later, in September at the same venue, Mayweather won a majority decision over Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, taking Alvarez’s junior middleweight title along the way. That was the fight in which judge C.J. Ross unbelievably scored the fight a draw; she took an enormous amount of heat and consequently walked away from the sport. In reality, it was another one-sided victory by Mayweather.
Mayweather, 45-0 with 26 knockouts, is expected to soon announce the identity of his next opponent.
We should find out soon who Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s next opponent will be, but it was interesting to find out this week about the way he thinks as he is going through the process of making that choice.
According to Richard Schaefer, a lot more goes into it than just selecting the fighter.
“Floyd is the kind of fighter who fights anyone,” said Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, which helps Mayweather promote his fights. “He is obviously ultimately deciding who he’s going to fight. But at the same time, he is frankly more interested in the marketing and creating the entire atmosphere and positioning of his fight week and fight night to basically make this, as it has been the past few years, without any question the event to be at. Like the Super Bowl of boxing.
“He just likes to create these big nights where you have cards which are top-to-bottom loaded, and he gets very much invovled in that.”
Mayweather, 36, is 45-0 with 26 knockouts. In his most recent bout, he won a majority decision over Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Sept. 14 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. That was the fight where judge C.J. Ross scored the fight even, making hers one of the worst scorecards of the past 50 years, or since yours truly began watching boxing as a kid.
The 9th Watson Celebrity Basketball Game will be held Sunday at Cal State Northridge and the host will be none other than world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.
The game is played to benefit local charities and this year a portion of the proceeds will go to Lifedriven Foundation, an organization that works with children with cancer.
“It’s great to give back,” Mayweather said in a statement. “The Watson family has always been good to me. If it’s for a great cause, I am here to support it.”
Several boxers are among the celebrities expected to attend. Advance tickets can be purchased by calling 818-677-2488. They are priced at $10 for general admission and $25 for reserved seating.
The epilogue for All Access: Mayweather vs. Alvarez will be televised Wednesday night on Showtime at 10 p.m. It is Showtime’s final piece of coverage for the Sept. 14 junior middleweight championship bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, won by Mayweather at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The show will take viewers behind the scenes for a look at all the drama of fight week as well as fight night