Gilberto Ramirez out at least five months after tearing hand; defense against Dominik Britsch postponed

Gilberto Ramirez/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

Fresh off making history by becoming the first from Mexico to win a world title at super middleweight, the blossoming career of Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (34-0, 24 KOs) hit a roadblock this week when he sustained a hand injury that will prevent him from making his first defense July 23 against Dominik Britsch of Germany.

They were to square off underneath the junior welterweight title-unification bout between Terence Crawford and Viktor Postol at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).

The following is a statement from hand specialist, Dr. Steven Shin, who examined Ramirez:

“Gilberto Ramirez sustained an injury to the third knuckle of his right hand after a punch to the head of his sparring partner, July 5, 2016.  I examined Gilberto later that day, and ordered an MRI of his right hand. The MRI revealed a complete tear of the ulnar sagittal band at the 3rd metacarpophalangeal joint (knuckle) of his right hand, a region of the hand that is commonly injured in boxers.  Gilberto will undergo surgery this Friday for repair of this injury.  We anticipate that the soonest he will be able to fight competitively will be in approximately five months.”

Top Rank Inc. is promoting this card. Company spokesman Fred Sternburg said promoter Bob Arum is still trying to put together another semi-main event. It could be that another fight already scheduled on the card will fill that spot.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Abel Sanchez believes in handshake with Bob Arum over Oscar De La Hoya

Gennady Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions

 

Remember when it was announced recently that Golden Boy Promotions and K2 Promotions agreed that Gennady Golovkin and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will fight each other in September 2017? It was a handshake accord. Golovkin’s trainer, Abel Sanchez, does.

Sanchez also remembers a handshake deal being struck for Golovkin to fight super middleweight champion Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez the first half of next year. That deal was made with K2 – which promotes Golovkin – and Bob Arum, who promotes Ramirez under his Top Rank Inc. banner,

Guess which one Sanchez believes will come to fruition? Based on Alvarez giving up his WBC middleweight belt rather than fight Golovkin this year, that’s an easy answer.

“Let me tell you this: Supposedly, there was a handshake agreement between Bob Arum and (K2’s) Tom (Loeffler) for a Ramirez fight, and a handshake agreement – supposedly, according to Oscar (De La Hoya of Golden Boy) – for the ‘Canelo’ fight for September of 2017,” Sanchez said by phone Tuesday. “I would venture to say that I’d be more likely to believe there’s a handshake agreement with Bob Arum than there is for the ‘Canelo’ fight.

“So I would venture to say ‘Zurdo’ is a possibility for next year.”

One can’t blame Sanchez for not being a believer in the handshake agreement for Golovkin-Alvarez. It was Alvarez who called out Golovkin after Alvarez knocked out Amir Khan in May at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez said he would fight Golovkin, who was there, right then and that he would do it at 160 pounds. Previously, Alvarez and Golden Boy – which promotes Alvarez – had said a fight with Golovkin would have to be at a catch-weight of 155 pounds.

Then Alvarez gave up his belt rather than adhere to a deadline set by the WBC for the ordered fight with Golovkin. Then came the news that there would be no Golovkin-Alvarez fight for well over another year.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

‘Canelo’ Alvarez may have balked, but Bob Arum would pit Gilberto Ramirez against Gennady Golovkin

Gilberto Ramirez

Gilberto Ramirez/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

Oscar De La Hoya may not be keen on his fighter – Saul “Canelo” Alvarez – fighting middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin. But promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday he would love to pit his fighter – super middleweight champion Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez – against Golovkin sometime next year. It would mean Golokvin moving up to the super middleweight limit of 168 pounds, something his team has always said he could do if the right fight came along.

“This is not just talk,” Arum said at the Conga Room in Los Angeles before he played host to a news conference announcing the undercard to the July 23 junior welterweight title-unification fight between Terence Crawford and Viktor Postol at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view); Ramirez (34-0, 24 KOs) will make his first title defense against Dominik Britsch (32-2-1, 11 KOs) in that semi-main event.

Arum said he has had more than one meeting with Tom Loeffler, general manager of K2 Promotions, the banner under which Golovkin fights.

“If the fight happens, we’re pretty well agreed on terms and we feel that with ‘Zurdo’ fighting in July and Gennady probably fighting in September because ‘Canelo’ won’t be available, then we need to do one more fight for ‘Zurdo’ and then plan the fight for next year.

“And I think Loeffler’s pretty much on that page. That’s not to say that if he could get ‘Canelo’ this year (for Golovkin), he wouldn’t do it. But I don’t think he’s going to.”

A call to Loeffler was not immediately returned.

Ramirez, a 6-foot-2 1/2 southpaw, is from Mexico. He made history on April 9 by becoming the first Mexican to win a world title at super middleweight when he took the title from Arthur Abraham with a unanimous decision on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley III.

Ramirez is just 24.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail