Bob Arum takes shot at Donald Trump at Pacquiao-Bradley event

Bob Arum speaks to a reporter at Wild Card Gym in Hollywood during media day for Manny Pacquiao’s fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May/Photo by Harry How, Getty Images

 

Promoter Bob Arum took a shot at Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump at Tuesday’s news conference in Beverly Hills promoting the third fight between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley on April 9 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).

Arum vowed to put on an all-Hispanic undercard and call it the “Donald Trump undercard.” This is obvious response to Trump wanting to deport the millions of illegal immigrants in this country, as well as wanting to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Arum said the fighters can take care of their business in the ring before Trump deports them. Arum was being sarcastically funny, but he was serious about the subject. He referred to those Trump wants to rid the country of as people “who live, by and large, exemplary lives and want to know that there are a lot of people who have their back and are not going to allow them to be deported.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley to tangle a third time at MGM Grand

Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

It may not be the most popular move Manny Pacquiao could have made, but it was announced Wednesday that the next – and, supposedly, final – fight of his fine
career will be a third go-round with Timothy Bradley.

Promoter Bob Arum told this newspaper and several others that the fight was done for April 9 at MGM in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). The contracts still have to be signed.

Bradley, of Palm Springs, holds one of the welterweight world-title belts.

The two first fought in June 2012 at MGM Grand. Bradley was scored a split-decision winner, but virtually every reporter covering the fight saw that as a terrible decision as Pacquiao seemed the clear winner.

They tangled again in April 2014, at MGM Grand, with ,Pacquiao emerging with a deserved unanimous decision.

Neither fight was electrifying. But Bradley (33-1-1, 13 KOs) did not have Teddy Atlas training him then. He does now, and Arum figures that will make this the most exciting bout of the trilogy.

“I don’t think there’s any question, but that it will be,” Arum said. “And I don’t think there’s any question that as good as Bradley has been, that he’s a much better fighter now with Teddy Atlas than he was before. Without any question, he’s a different fighter and his style is different.

“So people say, ‘My god, you’re doing a third fight with Pacquiao and Bradley.’ I say, ‘But this Bradley is different from the other Bradley.’ It’s really like a new opponent.”

Bradley, 32, fought for the first time under Atlas in November, and he stopped Brandon Rios in the ninth round at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) is coming off a unanimous-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May at MGM Grand. Pacquiao revealed after the bout he fought with a torn right rotator cuff, which has since been surgically repaired.

The other two opponents Pacquiao had been considering were junior welterweight champion Terence Crawford and former junior welterweight champion Amir Khan.

As for this possibly being the last fight Pacquiao, 37, Arum is not so sure.

“He told me that this would be his last fight, but I’ve heard that from fighters for the 50 years I’ve been promoting boxing,” said Arum, who began promoting in 1966. “So I take that with a grain of salt. So I’m not going to put myself in a position where im promoting this fight as Manny’s last fight when six months from now there’s a change of heart and he wants to fight again.”

The first two fights did approximately 900,000 and 800,000 pay-per-view buys, respectively, according to industry sources.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

After what Terence Crawford did, Manny Pacquiao may look elsewhere

Terence Crawford/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

Terence Crawford was in a sense auditioning for a fight with Manny Pacquiao when he squared off with Canada’s Dierry Jean on Saturday at CenturyLink Center in Crawford’s hometown of Omaha, Neb.

Pacquiao is currently trying to decide who will be his final opponent. Crawford is one of the possibilities. Perhaps Pacquiao won’t want anything to do with Crawford after Crawford decked Jean in rounds 1, 9 and 10 on his way to a 10th-round technical knockout victory.

That gives Crawford a record of 27-0 with 19 knockouts. Saturday’s victory was the first defense of his junior welterweight world title. He is a former lightweight champion as well.

Crawford is 28. Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) is 36 and will turn 37 on Dec.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Floyd Mayweather Jr.: ‘I did not commit any violations’ by taking IV

Floyd Mayweather Jr./Photo by Gene Blevins, Hogan Photos

 

A story published Thursday by the Associated Press has Floyd Mayweather Jr. claiming he did nothing wrong by taking an IV solution to re-hydrate following the weigh-in for this past May’s welterweight title fight with Manny Pacquiao, won by Mayweather via unanimous decision at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather reportedly did not receive a formal exemption from the United States Anti-Doping Agency for the IV until weeks after the fight, but USADA admits it knew of the IV before Mayweather took it and that it contained no illegal substances.

“As already confirmed by the USADA statement, I did not commit any violations of the Nevada or USADA drug testing guidelines,” Mayweather said in a statement. “I follow and have always followed the rules of Nevada and USADA, the gold standard of drug testing.
“Let’s not forget that I was the one six years ago who insisted on elevating the level of drug testing for all my fights.  As a result, there is more drug testing and awareness of its importance in the sport of boxing today than ever before. I am very proud to be a clean athlete and will continue to champion the cause.”
The response by Mayweather and USADA came as a result of this story by Thomas Hauser on SB Nation.
Mayweather will take on Andre Berto at MGM Grand on Saturday night in what Mayweather says will be his final fight.
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Leo Santa Cruz wins decision over Jose Cayetano in Saturday’s semi-main

The semi-main event Saturday underneath Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao featured super bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz of Lincoln Heights taking on Jose Cayetano of Tijuana in a non-title fight in the featherweight division.

Even though Santa Cruz was moving up in weight, he figured to have an easy time of it as Cayetano (17-4) is not in his class. Santa Cruz (30-0-1) did in the sense that he won big on the scorecards – he won by three scores of 100-90. But fans seemed a bit restless that he could not stop Cayetano inside the distance.

There were a few boos.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

PHOTOS: Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao media workouts

SAXoPicture-0938ACBC-713029796

Photos by Gene Blevins/LA Daily News

Floyd Mayweather Jr., in Las Vegas, and Manny Pacquiao, in Hollywood, worked out in front of the media Wednesday ahead of their mega clash on May 2.

Mayweather’s workout included a guest appearance from David Hasselhoff.

Pacquiao’s workout also drew a big crowd in Hollywood, where Bob Arum had some interesting things to say.

Below is a sample of our photos from the workout, but click the links to get the check out all of the photos (all 140 of them).
SAXoPicture-0938ACCC-398504253

SAXoPicture-0938ADBC-23453774

SAXoPicture-0938ACEC-246060542

SAXoPicture-0938AD1C-969627362

May Crowd

SAXoPicture-0938AD5C-311020774

May

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao hopeful Floyd Mayweather Jr. tries to knock him out

Manny Pacquiao/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday played host to a media workout at the Wild Card gym in Hollywood, where he is trained by Freddie Roach. A couple of hundred reporters and photographers were on hand, and that’s not including the 50 or so who were turned away because there wasn’t enough room for them.

During a question-and-answer period, Pacquiao was asked if it would be to his advantage if Floyd Mayweather Jr. opens up and tries to knock him out when they tangle May 2 in a welterweight title-unification fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO and Showtime pay-per-view). Pacquiao responded with a slight smile on his face.

“Well, if he does that, that’s good for me,” Pacquiao said. “I mean, I like that. That’s what I want and that’s definitely what the fans want, you know, action.”

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Floyd Mayweather Jr. suggests he has emotional edge over Manny Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, will square off with Manny Pacquiao on May 2 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas/Photos by Associated Press

 

Floyd Mayweather Jr. at Wednesday’s news conference touched on the psychological element of his May 2 fight against Manny Pacquiao at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view, Showtime pay-per-view). He intimated he has the edge in this department.

“One thing I do know about any sport, when you lose, it’s in your mind,” Mayweather said at Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. “If you lost once, it’s in your mind. If you lost twice, it’s in your mind. From day one, I was always taught to be a winner. No matter what, be a winner, push yourself to the limit, stay focused and be the best that you can be.”

It was Mayweather’s way of reminding the more than 600 reporters in attendance that while Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) has lost more than once, he is undefeated at 47-0 with 26 knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Floyd Mayweather Sr. says now people ‘fixing’ to find out who’s really scared

 

 

 

The shadows of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao facing off at Wednesday’s news conference/Photo by Gene Blevins, Los Angeles Daily News

Floyd Mayweather Sr had heard enough talk about his son being afraid to fight Manny Pacquiao, that he just had to tell us about it outside Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles ahead of the Wednesday news conference there promoting the May 2 Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

“All the stuff they’ve been saying about the fight, I know one thing, that Floyd ain’t the one that’s scared,” Floyd Sr. said. “Everybody was talking about Floyd was scared. Now you’re fixing to find out who’s scared.”

The elder Mayweather, who trains Floyd Jr., then came with quite a zinger.

“This fight here is a professional fighting a sub-novice fighter,” he said.

Uh, OK.

Mayweather, 38, is 47-0 with 26 knockouts. Pacquiao, 36, is 57-5-2 with 38 knockouts. This will be a title-unification bout and both HBO and Showtime will have it available on their respective pay-per-view arms.

 

 

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail