Associated Press: TV part of Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. deal a go

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is shown here at a Clippers game in 2013/Staff photo by Michael Owen Baker, Los Angeles Daily News


By Tim Dahlberg, Associated Press

HBO and Showtime have agreed on how they would broadcast a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, promoter Bob Arum said Thursday, leaving only two remaining issues to be settled before the much anticipated May 2 fight can be signed.

Arum told The Associated Press that the rival networks have come to terms on an announcing team and other details for the pay-per-view blockbuster, and that talks this week have narrowed the remaining differences between the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps.

“We had four issues and we resolved two,” said Arum, who promotes Pacquiao. “Now we’re working on resolving the other two. Unless something else comes up at the last minute, that’s what my take is.”

Arum declined to say what those two issues are, saying he didn’t want to sabotage the negotiations just as they are reaching a critical juncture. And it was not clear whether the Mayweather side views the negotiations the same as Arum, or even if Mayweather will agree to the fight.

Mayweather’s adviser is Al Haymon, who reportedly has been doing the negotiating on his fighter’s behalf. But Haymon doesn’t talk to the media, and Mayweather communicates almost exclusively through social media.

Mayweather’s latest postings showed him enjoying a trip on a private jet to the Caribbean and getting a fish pedicure. He did post on social media last week that a media report the fight was a done deal was a “lie.”

Arum said the major financial points of the fight have been agreed to, including a reported 60-40 split in the purse in Mayweather’s favor. Based on the fight doing a record $200 million or more in revenue, Mayweather’s payday could be at least $120 million.

“There’s a lot of devil in the details and that’s what we’re sorting through now,” Arum said. “The remaining issues are obviously important to the participants, and are things we have to work out.”

Mayweather’s representatives have dictated most of the terms of the fight, and Arum said Mayweather will be the one to announce it if it is made.

Mayweather fights under contract to Showtime and Pacquiao to HBO, and there was speculation the two networks could hold up the fight by not coming to terms themselves. But talks between top executives have been ongoing for weeks, and HBO issued a statement Monday saying it was not an “impediment” to the fight.

“We stand ready to go,” the statement said. “The principals need to agree to terms and come to a deal.”

An HBO spokesman declined comment Thursday, and Showtime executives were not immediately made available for comment.

While Mayweather has been vacationing, Pacquiao was heading home Thursday to the Philippines after a trip to the U.S. and England. While in Miami for the pageant, Pacquiao attended a Miami Heat basketball game the same night Mayweather was there and the two fighters exchanged numbers and discussed the fight.

They later met for an hour, and Arum said the meeting convinced him that Mayweather wanted to make the fight.

Before heading home, Pacquiao also met in Washington with Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and on Thursday attended the National Prayer Breakfast, where President Barack Obama spoke.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

No, the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not done

Floyd Mayweather Jr./Photo by Associated Press


For anyone paying attention to the TMZ report stating the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a done deal, it is not. Mayweather today made that clear on the social network Shots with this post: “Laying back, relaxing, enjoying good weather, palm trees and piña coladas. While they continue to lie about making the fight… I’m just going to continue to travel and explore the world on my private jet. #FightNotMadeYet #Jamaica.”

Along with the post, Mayweather was pictured relaxing on a hammock.

An inside source told yours truly just moments ago that the negotiations are moving in a positive direction but that the gut feeling was that it will take between one and two weeks before it would get done. That is, of course, assuming the remaining hurdles are cleared.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr. are both taking in tonight’s NBA game between Heat and Bucks in Miami

Manny Pacquiao, left, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami/Photo courtesy of Hook Right Boxing


The boxing world has been waiting for the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. to be made. Interestingly, both are taking in tonight’s (Tuesday’s) NBA game between the Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami. They are sitting on opposite sides of the court.

Is this a coincidence?


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Kobe Bryant weighs in on possible fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao

Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant is a huge boxing fan/Photo courtesy of Los Angeles Lakers,


We caught up to Kobe Bryant after his team was defeated by the Miami Heat 78-75 on Tuesday night at Staples Center. Bryant is an avid boxing fan and has visited the Wild Card gym in Hollywood to watch Manny Pacquiao train.

We asked Bryant his thoughts on what might happen should a fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. come to fruition. Bryant did not make a prediction, but he did have two interesting thoughts.

First, he said, “Manny Pacquiao is going to have to make some adjustments.”

Bryant also gave Mayweather quite a compliment.

“Floyd Mayweather is a boxing genius,” Bryant said.



Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao selected as a judge for 63rd Miss Universe Pageant

Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


Guess what Manny Pacquiao will be doing while awaiting word of his next opponent? Judging the 63rd Miss Universe Pageant, of course. The pageant will take place Jan. 25 and be televised on NBC.

Pacquiao was among the first group of judges selected. The others are Kristin Cavallari (TV host), actor William Levy, Lisa Vanderpump (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) and Louise Roe (fashion journalist)

Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) most recently defended his welterweight world title with a wide decision over Chris Algieri on Nov. 23 in Macau, China.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao decks Chris Algieri six times on way to unanimous decision


Manny Pacquiao decked Chris Algieri six times and won a unanimous decision Saturday in China/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


Although Manny Pacquiao still couldn’t get his first knockout in five years, he did deck Chris Algieri six times on his way to a very wide unanimous decision on Saturday night in Macau, China.

Pacquiao won by scores of 119-103, 119-103 and 120-102 and retained his welterweight title.  He is now 57-5-2.

Algieiri, of Huntington, Long Island, N.Y., suffered his first loss and is 20-1.

The fight was televised on HBO pay-per-view.

Pacquiao has not had a knockout since stopping Miguel Cotto in the 12th round in November 2009 in Las Vegas.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Chris Algieri makes weight to challenge Manny Pacquiao after first failing


Manny Pacquiao will defend his welterweight title against Chris Algieri on Saturday night in China/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


After first failing to make the 144-pound catch-weight limit for his challenge to welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, Chris Algieri on Friday came back and weighed in under at 143.6 pounds; he first weighed 144.4, stripped down and then weighed 144.2. He was given two hours to shed the extra ounces, and he did.

Pacquiao weighed 143.8 pounds.

The welterweight limit is 147 unless there is an agreed upon catch-weight.

Algieir and Pacquiao will tangle Saturday night at the Venetian Resort in Macau, China (on HBO pay-per-view).

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

No lack of confidence for Chris Algieri ahead of fight with Manny Pacquiao



Chris Algieri/Photo courtesy of Star Boxing


It’s difficult to say what’s going to happen Saturday when Chris Algieri challenges Manny Pacquiao for his welterweight title in Macau, China (on HBO pay-per-view). One thing’s certain, Algieri will enter the fight full of confidence.

That much was evident this week when he touched on the notion that Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs) allegedly has that hunger back that made him such a ferocious fighter.

“Now they tell me Manny has his killer instinct back,” Algieri said. “Well, come and try to get me.”

Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs), of Huntington, Long Island, N.Y., isn’t just blowing smoke to help the promotion. Remember, he’s the guy who got up from two first-round knockdowns to win a split-decision over then-junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov in June in Brooklyn. Anyone who can get up and do well after being decked twice in the first round by a vicious fighter like Provodnikov has big-time self-assurance. Don’t ever count out anyone of that ilk.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

HBO’s “24/7: Pacquiao/Algieri” will be shown on Saturday night


Manny Pacquiao/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


HBO’s “24/7: Pacquiao/Algieri” will be shown Saturday night about 10 on HBO after the light heavyweight title-unification bout between Bernard Hopkins and Sergey Kovalev.

It will promote the Nov. 22 welterweight title fight between champion Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines and Chris Algieri of Huntington, N.Y. in Macau, China.

Pacquiao, 35, is 56-5-2 with 38 knockouts. Algieri, 30, is 20-0 with eight knockouts. The fight will be available on HBO pay-per-view.



Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

After loss to Manny Pacquiao, Brandon Rios looks to avoid third straight setback


Manny Pacquiao, Brandon Rios

Manny Pacquiao (left) and Brandon Rios pose at a news conference ahead of their Nov. 24 fight that took place in Macau, China/Photo by Associated Press


Brandon Rios of Oxnard has lost his past two fights, and that’s enough to ruin anyone’s groove. It almost doesn’t matter that the two losses came to a good fighter in Mike Alvarado and a Hall of Fame fighter like Manny Pacquiao. Bottom line is, Rios can ill-afford a third consecutive defeat when he takes on Diego Gabriel Chaves of Argentina in the welterweight main event Aug. 2 at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas (on HBO).

He knows that.

“It’s do or die for me and I will do what I have to do to win this fight,” said Rios, 28, and a former lightweight world champion.

After losing handily to Pacquiao by eight, 10 and 12 points on the scorecards, Rios might have taken on an easier opponent than Chaves (23-1, 19 KOs), who took tough Keith Thurman to 10 rounds before being stopped by Thurman in his only loss last July 27 in San Antonio.

Rios wanted noting resembling a patsy, though.

I know I could have fought an easier opponent, but I want to show everyone what I am still capable of doing against a top level guy," he said.

Rios is 31-2-1 with 23 knockouts.

Chaves, 28, is ranked as high as the No. 6 welterweight by one governing body. Rios is unranked.






Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail