Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero is attempting to break his promotional contract with Golden Boy Promotions, according to a report on BoxingScene.com.
The story quotes Guerrero’s attorney, Bruce Zabarauskas, as saying that there were several violations in the contract signed with Golden Boy.
Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy, denies there was anything wrong in the contract.
Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 KOs), of Gilroy, Calif., has won world titles in the featherweight and super featherweight divisions and interim world titles in the lightweight and welterweight classes. He lost a wide decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a welterweight title fight in May at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. He has not fought since.
Now that criminal gun possession charges against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero have been dropped, he can begin pondering what the future holds for him following his wide decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 4 in Las Vegas.
According to a story on BoxingScene.com, Guerrero could end up taking on former welterweight champion Victor Ortiz. Like Guerrero, Ortiz is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions.
“If I’m a fan, I think the most interesting fight is with Victor Ortiz – two southpaws, both from the Cali area; they both beat (Andre) Berto,” Guerrero’s co-manager, Luis DeCubas Jr., told BoxingScene.com. “Victor got knocked out by Mayweather (in the fourth round in 2011), Robert went the distance and did a lot better than him.”
Ortiz has not fought since having his jaw broken by Josesito Lopez last June at Staples Center.
DeCubas said another possibility for Guerrero is a rematch with Berto. The two tangled last November at Citizens Business Bank Arena, Guerrero winning a unanimous decision in a brutal bout.
Charges of illegally possessing a firearm in the state of New York against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero were dropped Tuesday morning in New York State Supreme Court for Queens County, Guerrero’s public relations team said in a statement.
Guerrero, of Gilroy, Calilf., pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was fined $250 and was ordered to complete 50 hours of community service, which he will be allowed to do in California.
Guerrero was arrested on March 28 after he told a clerk at JFK Airport that he was in possession of an unloaded weapon.
Guerrero on May 4 challenged Floyd Mayweather Jr. for his welterweight title, but lost a wide unanimous decision at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Guerrero, 30, could have gone to prison if he had been tried and convicted of the felony firearm possession charge.
Stephen Espinoza, executive vice-president and general manager of Showtime Sports, told this newspaper Friday morning that stories speculating that this past Saturday’s Showtime pay-per-view presentation of the welterweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero at MGM Grand in Las Vegas did not do well and that Showtime lost money, are false.
“Numbers are still coming in, but we’ve got enough of the report that we are confident in saying we will be over 1 million buys,” Espinoza said. “Not sure how much yet, a lot of that will be determined over the next few weeks.”
Espinoza said Mayweather generating that many buys against a fighter who is not quite a huge name, is even more impressive.
“Without having a very well-known opponent, it really is a testament to Floyd’s drawing power,” Espinoza said.
Espinoza was asked about the scuttlebutt that Showtime lost money.
“There are some numbers out there floating around that we had to do X or Y in order to break even,” he said. “No idea where they came from. … But we are very happy with the result of over a millon buys. And the rumors of our financial demise are greatly exaggerated, if not completely untrue.
“No one realy has any basis for writing about that break-even point because that is something only we know.”
Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions – which helps Mayweather promote his fights – is now working on a Mayweather-Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fight for Sept. 14 at MGM Grand.
Espinoza said if that fight gets made, the promotion would likely include even more platforms than were used for Mayweather-Guerrero, which utilized Showtime’s parent company – CBS.
“It would certainly be adjusted to include more of the Spanish-language production,” Espinoza said.
Floyd Maywather Jr., Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, Abner Mares and Daniel Ponce De Leon all tested negative for banned substances following their respective fights this past Saturday at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, said Keith Kizer, executive director for the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Mayweather retained his welterweight title with a unanimous decision over Guerrero. Mares took De Leon’s featherweight title by stopping him in the ninth round.
The welterweight title fight between challenger Juan Manuel Marquez and champion Timothy Bradley slated for Sept. 14 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas would be moved to Oct. 12 there if Floyd Mayweather Jr. fights an opponent to be determined that night at MGM Grand, which is just down the road.
Bob Arum, who will promote Marquez-Bradley, said he has already told the pay-per-view industry that he would not go against a Mayweather fight on the same night in the same town.
However, Arum now believes he may not have to move his card to October because Mayweather sustained an injured right hand during his dominant victory over Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero this past Saturday at MGM Grand.
“We’ve reserved Oct. 12 at Thomas & Mack, but it doesn’t look to us now that Mayweather is going to go,” Arum told this newspaper Tuesday.
Arum was asked if he was referring to Mayweather’s hand injury.
“Yes,” Arum said.
Mayweather said in the post-fight news conference Saturday that he would be well enough to fight on Sept. 14. His publicist, Kelly Swanson, told ESPN.com on Sunday that Mayweather had his hand checked out at the hospital and that it was just sore.
Perhaps Arum knows something the rest of us do not.
Showtime on Saturday at 6 p.m. will televise a replay of the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero welterweight title fight this past Saturday from MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Mayweather won a unanimous decision by three scores of 117-111 and is now 44-0.
Also being replayed is the semi-main event between Abner Mares of Hawaiian Gardens and Mexico’s Daniel Ponce De Leon. Mares, a former bantamweight and super bantamweight champion, moved up in weight and took De Leon’s featherweight title with a ninth-round TKO.
Both bouts were televised live on Showtime pay-per-view.
Welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is scheduled to appear on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” tonight at 12:35 a.m. on NBC.
Mayweather is expected to talk about his dominant victory over Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero this past Saturday at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Floyd Mayweather’s guaranteed purse for his fight this past Saturday against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero at MGM Grand in Las Vegas was $32 million.
However, he will make considerably more than that with, among other things, pay-per-view upside.
Guerrero’s guarantee was $3 million. He, too, will get more from pay-per-view.
Mayweather retained his welterweight title with a wide unanimous decision over Guerrero.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. weighed in at 146 pounds Friday, one under the limit, for his welterweight title defense Saturday against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view).
Guerrero tipped the scales at the 147-pound limit.
The weigh-in took place before several thousand. Mayweather is 43-0 with 26 knockouts. Guerrero is 31-1-1 with 18 knockouts.