Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico and countryman Alfredo “Perro” Angulo recently signed to fight each other March 8 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view).
Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KOs) is coming off his first setback, a majority-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September, and it sounds like he’s really aching to lace up the gloves again.
“This is a great fight for me and for the fans and I can’t wait to get back in the ring on March 8,” said Alvarez, a former junior middleweight champion who lost his title to Mayweather. “Angulo is a true warrior and I have to be alert every second of every round when I fight him. I expect that we will put on a fight no one will ever forget.”
Angulo, 22-3 with 18 knockouts, is never in a dull fight.
“‘Canelo’ is a great young fighter who has earned his way to the top,” Angulo said. “That being said, I know I’m hungrier than he is right now and I will take him to places he’s never been. Our fans in Mexico and around the world will see what we’re all about when we fight.”
A total of four fights will make up the pay-per-view portion of this Golden Boy Promotions card. The other big one will see Leo Santa Cruz (27-0-1, 15 KOs) of Lincoln Heights defending his super bantamweight belt against Cristian Mijares (49-7-2, 24 KOs) of Mexico.
Golden Boy Promotions has told BoxingScene.com, ESPN.com and other publications that a deal has been reach for former junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico to take on countryman Alfredo Angulo on March 8 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view).
This fight figures to be hard-hitting and likely won’t go the distance. Angulo, 31, is 22-3 with 18 knockouts. He most recently was stopped in the 10th round of a close fight by Erislandy Lara in June at Home Depot Center; Angulo decked Lara twice.
Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KOs) is just 23. He lost a majority decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in his most recent fight in September at MGM Grand.,
Former junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico will take on countryman and contender Alfredo “Perro” Angulo on March 8 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, according to a story on BoxingScene.com generated by Notifight.com.
Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KOs), just 23, last fought Sept. 14 at MGM Grand and lost his two belts to Floyd Mayweather Jr. via majority decision. Angulo (22-3, 18 KOs), 31, is coming off a 10th-round TKO loss to Erislandy Lara in June at Home Depot Center. It was a bout in which Angulo twice decked Lara.
The epilogue for All Access: Mayweather vs. Alvarez will be televised Wednesday night on Showtime at 10 p.m. It is Showtime’s final piece of coverage for the Sept. 14 junior middleweight championship bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, won by Mayweather at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The show will take viewers behind the scenes for a look at all the drama of fight week as well as fight night
This past Saturday’s junior middleweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez won by Mayweather at MGM Grand in Las Vegas set a record for pay-per-view revenue, Showtime announced Thursday.
The previous record of $136 million was set by Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya for their 2007 fight won by Mayweather. Showtime reported that Mayweather-Alvarez, which came at a higher cost of $64.95 and even more for high definition, did about $150 million in revenue, and that could increase when all is said and done.
It is still not known if the record of actual buys was broken. That was 2.48 million for De La Hoya-Mayweather. Showtime said that so far it has tracked a projected 2.2 million buys for Mayweather-Alvarez.
The fight will be replayed on Showtime on Saturday night.
The junior middleweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico this past Saturday in Las Vegas had a national rating of 41.1 points in Mexico, which equates to 77-percent share, a record for a boxing event televised in Mexico.
The numbers mean some 22.1 million viewed the bout in Mexico on Televisa.
Mayweather won via majority decision.
Pay-per-view numbers in the U.S. have yet to be released by Showtime.
Judge C.J. Ross has taken a leave of absence from boxing effective immediately, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Tuesday.
Ross is the judge who came up with the absurd score of 114-114 for this past Saturday’s junior middleweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Mayweather was scored the majority decision, with judges Dave Moretti and Craig Metcalfe giving him the bout by respective scores of 116-112 and 117-111. Ross, 64, somehow came up with a draw in a fight where most veteran reporters gave Alvarez no more than a round; some did not give him even that.
According to the Review-Journal, Ross sent an email to Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Part of it read, “I will be taking some time off from boxing but will keep in touch.”
The replay of the fight can be seen Saturday at 9 p.m.on Showtime, which televised the fight on its pay per view arm.
A replay of this past Saturday’s junior middleweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at MGM Grand in Las Vegas will be shown this Saturday on Showtime at 9 p.m.
Fans who did not purchase the pay-per-view feed will have the chance to see just how terrible the scoring was by judge C.J. Ross, who shockingly scored the bout a 114-114 draw. Even the scorecards of Dave Moretti (116-112) and Craig Metcalfe (117-111) in favor of Mayweather seemed off as most longtime boxing reporters gave Alvarez either one round, or none at all. (Mayweather won a majority decision).
Mayweather, 36, is now 45-0. Alvarez, 23, is 42-1-1.
Also, fans will get to see a replay of the semi-main event between super lightweight champion Danny Garcia and Lucas Matthysse. Garcia (27-0), who did a fantastic job of taking away the power of Matthysse (34-3), won a unanimous decision by scores of 114-112, 114-112 and 115-111.
From where most of us reporters were seated Friday at the weigh-in, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez looked ripped in the mid-section after tipping the scales at 152 pounds.
However, after a colleague sent yours truly a message saying Alvarez looked kind of sickly, we made sure to watch the tape of the weigh-in on the news late Friday night. Not that Alvarez necessarily looked sickly, but he did look like he was too skinny.
Alvarez on Saturday night will take on Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a junior middleweight title fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, site of the weigh-in, which attracted 12,200 fans. The bout will be fought at a catch-weight of 152 pounds, two under the limit (on Showtime pay-per-view).
There are those who wonder if having to lose those extra two pounds will render Alvarez listless for the fight. Time will tell, but it won’t be shocking to see Alvarez tire in the second half of the fight.
Much has been made about the possibility that tonight’s junior middleweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at MGM Grand in Las Vegas could break pay-per-view records.
Local Las Vegas news stations are saying there could also be record numbers for local merchants with the thousands upon thousands in town for the event.
On top of all that, there was a line Saturday morning at the Mayweather-Alvarez memorabilia line at MGM Grand that was three times longer than anything yours truly has seen in 20 years of covering boxing in Sin City.
Mayweather-Alvarez will be available on Showtime pay-per-view.