Richard Schaefer won’t comment on rumors of discord with Oscar De La Hoya

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, on Friday morning said he would not address in any way, shape or form the rumors that he and his boss, Oscar De La Hoya, are on the outs.

Some of the gossip has gone so far as to suggest that Schaefer was about to either resign or be pushed out of the company he has helped grow into a monster.
“I’m actually trying to get to the bottom of those rumors as well, and the sources,” Schaefer said via telephone. “I am not going to comment on it. I’ve never really been one to comment on rumors, and I’m not going to start now.”

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez stops Alfredo ‘El Perro’ Angulo in 10th round at MGM Grand

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Saturday rebounded from his first career loss by stopping fellow Mexican Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo in the 10th round of their junior middleweight main event at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The Golden Boy Promotions card was televised on Showtime pay-per-view.

Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KOs) was ahead by scores of 89-82, 89-82, 88-83 at the time of the stoppage, which came at 47 seconds into the round when Alvarez came out strongly following what was a good ninth round for him.

This was Alvarez’s first fight since he lost a decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. this past September at MGM Grand.

This was the second consecutive loss for Angulo, who is now 22-4.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Carlos Molina still in jail, off Saturday’s Alvarez-Angulo undercard at MGM Grand

It’s official, Carlos Molina of Chicago via Mexico won’t be able to defend his junior middleweight title against Jermall Charlo on tonight’s undercard in Las Vegas because he remains on jail after having been arrested Tuesday on out-of-state warrants issued from the state of Wisconsin. Molina also has immigration issues, according to several reports out of Las Vegas.

That fight was scratched and now the 10-round lightweight fight between Ricardo Alvarez and Sergio Thompson will be elevated to the Showtime pay–per-view portion of the show at MGM Grand.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo – both of Mexico – will tangle in the junior middleweight main event. The limit for junior middleweight is 154. But before the weigh-in Friday, Alvarez apparently let it be known he wouldn’t be able to make the weight. But it is not a title fight and the Angulo camp agreed to a limit of 155, according to a story on BoxingScene.com.

In that story, it was noted that Alvarez may have had to give Angulo $100,000 of his purse for the fight to go on at the higher weight. Alvarez then weighed in at 155, Angulo 154 1/2. Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, could not confirm that Alvarez had to fork over the extra dough.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Carlos Molina still locked up in Clark County, Nev., his title defense in jeopardy

It will be interesting to see what unfolds Friday regarding junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina of Chicago via Mexico. He is supposed to defend his title against Jermall Charlo on Saturday on the undercard of the junior middleweight main event between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico and countryman Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

But as of early Friday morning, Molina was still in jail after having been arrested Tuesday by Clark County officials for two out-of-state warrants. He also apparently is having immigration issues, according to several reports out of Las Vegas.

One story on ESPN.com indicated that Molina was born in Mexico, but has lived in the United States – currently in Chicago – since he was 4 years old.

If Molina is unable to get out of jail in time for Friday’s weigh-in, he could conceivably be stripped of his title. A story on BoxingScene.com reported that if that fight does fall through, a lightweight fight between Ricardo Alvarez – older brother of “Canelo,” and Sergio Thompson would be elevated to the Showtime pay-per-view portion of the card.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that one of the warrants for Molina was for a parole violation for failing to register as a sex offender. Molina in 2002 was convicted of second-degree sexual assault of a child in Wisconsin.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Not surprisingly, Mayweather-Maidana lands at MGM Grand in Las Vegas

To no one’s surprise, the May 3 Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana welterweight title-unification bout will take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, a spokeswoman for Golden Boy Promotions confirmed Wednesday.

A deal for the fight was reached Feb. 24 – the day Mayweather turned 37. But until Wednesday the site remained up in the air – though Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told this newspaper it most likely would be at the Las Vegas casino where Mayweather has fought 11 times.

The bout will be available on Showtime pay-per-view.

Mayweather is 45-0 with 26 knockouts. Maidana, of Argentina, is 30. He has a record of 35-3 with 31 knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Alfredo Angulo understands what it means when two Mexicans tangle

There is a lot of boxing pride in Mexico, so when two of its best and most ferocious fighters square off, there is no denying how big of a fight it is to the combatants and their country.

Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo knows the score.

“Every fight is important, but this one is more special because of all the fans in Mexico will know that the winner of this fight is the No. 1 Mexican fighter,” Angulo, who will take on Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Saturday in the junior middleweight main event at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view), said at Tuesday’s arrival at MGM Grand. “It’s a huge fight for Mexico and it’s a huge fight for ‘Canelo’ and me.”

Angulo, of Mexicali, Baja California, is 22-3 with 18 knockouts. Alvarez, of Guadalajara, Jalisco, is 42-1-1 with 30 knockous.

This card is being staged by Golden Boy Promotions.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez says he has gotten past loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Even though Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico is just 23, he has been a pro since 2005 after turning pro at the of 15 in Jalisco, Mexico. During all that time, the only blemish on his record was a draw when he entered the ring this past Sept. 14 to take on Floyd Mayweather Jr. at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Like most who challenge Mayweather, they realize once they are in the fray that Mayweather is even better defensively than thought. Mayweather schooled Alvarez and won a majority decision that was only such a decision because since-disgraced judge C.J. Ross scored it a draw.

Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KOs) on March 8 will get back in the ring for the first time since that first loss when he tangles with fellow Mexican Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo in the junior middleweight main event at MGM Grand  (on Showtime pay-per-view).

Alvarez was asked how he got past the loss to Mayweather during a conference call this week.

“I have a lot of family. I have a lot of support, friends, and my team, and I’m very strong-minded,” Alvarez said.  “I’m very strong-minded. So yes it was a loss, but I learned a lot from it, and I just move on. I just – I gained experience and move on. But again, I’m strong-minded. I don’t dwell on the past. Now I look forward to the future.”

The future is now, as this fight with Angulo (22-3, 18 KOs) could be an absolute ring war.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Richard Schaefer does not want Antonio Orozco to be a one-hit wonder

Antonio Orozco is not quite ready for a world-title bout, but the Tecate, Baja California-born super lightweight is getting close. The thing is Richard Schaefer wants to make sure that when Orozco is given that shot, he not only is ready to win, but has the wherewithal to remain champion for a while.

“You want to make sure that the guy who just became world champion has the necessary tools in the tool box to not just be a one-hit wonder, but to be a long-term world champion who can take out the necessary tools as he fights and defends his world titles, and has gone through some adversity in that road to the world title and has learned from that adversity,” said Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Orozco.

Orozco, 26, lives in San Diego. He is 19-0 with 15 knockouts and has stopped his past seven opponents inside the distance. His moniker is “Relentless,” and he lives up to it.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Riverside’s Mauricio Herrera realizes what he’s up against with Danny Garcia

Mauricio Herrera of Riverside will have quite a task in front of him when he challenges Danny Garcia of Philadelphia for his two super lightweight belts on March 15 at Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico (on Showtime). And he knows it.

“I know this is a huge opportunity, and I’m going to take full advantage of it,” said Herrera, 33. “To have a shot at Danny’s belts has been a dream of mine for a long time.

“Danny Garcia is an intelligent and tough fighter, but so am I. I’m coming to Puerto Rico and I know there is a lot of pressure. But, hopefully they will support me, too.”

Herrera (20-3, 7 KOs) , who has never fought for a major title, is Mexican-American. Garcia (27-0, 16 KOs) is Puerto Rican-American, so he figures to have the bulk of the fans that night.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Danny Garcia says all the right things at news conference in Puerto Rico

Super lightweight champion Danny Garcia is an outstanding fighter. He’s also smart enough to say all the right things at the right time.

Garcia, born and raised in Philadelphia, is of Puerto Rican descent. On Tuesday, he helped play host to a news conference in Puerto Rico promoting his March 15 title defense there against Mauricio Herrera of Riverside (on Showtime).

Garcia apparently wanted locals to know where his heart is, so he came with all kinds of good stuff.

“I am a Puerto Rican,” he said. “I could have been born on the moon, but I’m still a Puerto Rican.”

That’s not all.

“I think that Puerto Rico is going to accept me as its own after I win on March 15,” he said. “Philadelphia might be my birthplace, but Puerto Rico is my blood.”

Garcia, just 25, is 27-0 with 16 knockouts. Herrera, 33, is 20-3 with seven knockouts. The two will tangle at Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon.

 

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail