“Politics doesn’t make strange bedfellows — marriage does.” —– Groucho Marx
Let the social issue of this election cycle come out.
The political wedge issue of all issues.
That being the judge over-turning California’s Prop. 8 that banned same-sex marriage.
Who ya gonna blame — the judge who made the ruling? Can’t do that, he was a Daddy Bush appointee. Actually, the judge was first nominated by the Republican Party’s Holy Father, Ronald Reagan.
Family values groups are up in arms over the over-ruling. Which is their right —- they believe firmly that a marriage should be a union between a man and a woman. The Bible tells them so.
Same-sex couples say it’s a civil rights issue. They believe people have a right to love whoever they want. Which is their right. However, same-sex marriage should not be compared to the civil rights struggle of the 1960s. Sexual preference is a choice. That’s why it’s called a preference.
Be that as it may, here are some of the comments —- pro and con — that might have been uttered after the judge found that the gay marriage ban in California was unconstitutional:
1. “Alright! Now we have the right to get married —- and eventually become miserable and never have sex again….”
2. “I don’t know who to call first, my mother —- or Liza!”
3. “This is an outrage! It was bad enough when they were living in sin when they were single —- now they can live in sin legally!”
4. “There’s good news and bad news. The good news is that same-sex couples can get married in California. The bad news is there’s now a ban on same-sex divorce.”
5. “I heard the judge used to be one of the Village People.”
Those who disagree with the same-sex marriage ban being over-turned (really, could there be a worse word that can apply to this situation?) here are a few movie titles that could be seen as gay-themed that could keep the concerned worried:
1. “The Prince Bride”
2. “A Room with a View of the YMCA”
3. “When Mary met Sally”
4. “Willie Wonka Looking for Mr. Goodbar”
5. “Seven Brides for Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants”
6. “There’s Something About Mary Driving Miss Daisy”
7. “Good Will Hunting Where the Boys Are”
8. “An Officer and a Gentlemen In the Bedroom”
9. “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore with Hannah and Her Sisters”
10. “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice & Melvin & Howard & Harold & Maude & Harry & Tonto & Thelma & Louise & Bonnie & Clyde & The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover & Winnie the Pooh & Tiger Too