President Obama was scheduled to deliver his jobs plan before a Joint Session of Congress next Wednesday.
The same night the Republican presidential candidates are to debate at the Reagan Library.
That was the plan, with Obama putting the squeeze on the GOP, as well as MSNBC, the news network that’s carrying the debate.
Now one could see why the prez wanted to overshadow the candidates, but stepping all over MSNBC’s big night kind of makes you say huh?
MSNBC is Barack Obama’s Fox News. They’re just left of St. Francis of Assisi.
What is it with Obama anyway? Is he out to disappoint everybody who supports him?
All of this, of course, is a moot point now.
Wednesday afternoon Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner asked the president to reschedule his jobs address to Congress to Thursday. You know, opening night of the new NFL season featuring the winners of the last two Super Bowls, the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers.
Boehner cited a “tight schedule” as reason for him asking the favor. Wednesdays is tanning night with Snooki from ‘The Jersey Shore.”
It wasn’t so much that you knew the president would cave in to Boehner’s demand. The big surprise was how long it took to cave. Which wasn’t long at all. Same day. Maybe within the hour. Usually it takes Obama a day or so to think it over before he caves to Republicans’ demands.
If this is any indication of how he’s allegedly going to get tough with the loyal opposition, skip the speech and watch the Bill Murray comedy “Groundhog Day” because we keep going through the same thing time and again with this president.
Think of the most liberal wimp who shows up on those MSNBC news shows pleading with him to get tough.
The problem with Barack Obama is he’s too fair. Fairness in politics is a cul-de-sac and Obama keeps traveling down that one way street that gets him nowhere.
Anyway, he’s probably made MSNBC happy because now they can have the debate and decent ratings for once.
No, the bully pulpit will not be in use the night of the GOP presidential debate.
Obama needs to make use of the bully pulpit like he does the teleprompter.
The originally scheduled programs for next week would’ve caused a lot of back-and-forth of nonsense chatter anyway.
Fox News would’nt have known where to turn. On one hand they would be furious that their GOP candidates were being upstaged by the president.
But to make up for that, MSNBC would be screwed.
It would’ve been interesting to see how many Republicans wouldn’t have showed up for the Joint Session to protest Obama stepping over their party’s big night.
Maybe this is for the best, after all, because if Obama didn’t cave, the news shows would’ve been going over the newest push comes to shove for the next week.
And the pols would’ve stoked the flames.
Anything to avoid having to talk about jobs or how none of them have any plan that can get Americans back to work.
So will Obama get tough next Thursday, previously scheduled for Wednesday, when he debuts his jobs plan?
Here are five things his advisers wouldn’t be above contemplating to help make his point:
1. He shows up to the speech dressed in work overalls wearing a hard hat and carrying a blueprint in one hand and a shovel in the other and starts off by saying “Let’s get to work!”
2. Daughters Sasha and Malia will be selling lemonade from stands on either side of the political aisles.
3. Applause will be drowned out by the sound of a jackhammer fixing a street.
4. When Vice President Biden nods off, Boehner uses a cattle prod to wake him while Obama is saying “This administration refuses to sleep on the job of getting jobs for every American who wants to work.”
5. After the speech as he leaves shaking hands along the way, “Hail to the Chief” canned music replaced by “Take This Job and Shove it.”
- iPhone 3GS Full diamante,Diamond,rhinestone,bling Protective hard cases on Future fundraiser
- iPhone 3GS Full diamante,Diamond,rhinestone,bling Protective hard Case on Talkin’ ’bout my generation
- read more on CEO vs. community organizer
- finances on The melancholy riff
- Politics Fact Checker on Real guy stuff
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008