If President Obama’s jobs plan speech was a Broadway show and the Stock Market was the critic who could make or break it, the show would close after opening night.
The Dow plummeted 300 points the day after the speech. Of course this plays right into the hands of the naysayers who want America to fail. Until they can get one of their own in power.
Remember what Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said after the GOP took control of the House last year: The Republican Party’s top priority is to make Barack Obama a one-term president.
Top priority? Really? Not jobs or turning the economy around?
House Speaker John Boehner’s party didn’t even offer a response to Obama’s speech. Boehner said Republicans “would rather watch football.”
It was the season opener of the NFL with the last two Super Bowl champions, the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers, going at it.
And Obama is no Knute Rockne.
Boehner could’ve said, for a rebuttal to the president’s speech, just tune into Fox News.
Obama wants us to believe the economy is on the road to recovery.
The GOP would have us believe we’re on the road to perdition.
Listen to Fox News’ presidential creationist candidates Romney, Perry and Bachmann (There’s a law firm for you) criticize everything about “this president.”
Interesting phrase there, “this president.” As if the GOP has to remind their lunatic fringe (growing ever larger by the day) that Obama is a person of color.
Speaking of interesting phrases, Bachmann called Obama’s American Jobs Act a “failed gimmick.” (forget the fact it hasn’t been passed yet, because Bachmann hasn’t.)
But Bachmann is prophetic here. “Failed gimmick” will be the exact words that will be used when she’s finally forced to dump her chances for the Republican presidential nomination.
Things overheard while Obama was giving his jobs speech before the joint session of Congress last week:
1. “He wouldn’t be speaking tonight if it was the season opener of the NBA.”
2. “Is Harry Reid still breathing?”
3. “Rush Limbaugh gave us bottles of water and we’re supposed to do spit takes whenever Obama mentions anything about the have-nots.”
4. “Now that it’s worked and we succeeded at discrediting him, it’s no challenge making up new lies.”
5. “I had a dream last night that Michele Bachmann was giving her State of the Union address and her head started spinning completely around and fire started to shoot out of her nostrils.”