Oy! Say it ain’t so, Joe.
Granted, Vice President Joe Biden is a human gaffe machine. But his speech late last week praising his boss for saving the world contained not only the worst quote of the week, but maybe so far this year.
And it tuns out it wasn’t a gaffe, it was part of the speech. And it cleared speechwriters or at best Biden himself.
He said it and seemed completely clueless that he said something that was a real gut-buster.
Biden, touting President Obama’s quiet courage, channeled Teddy Roosevelt, who famously said “Speak softly and carry a big stick.”
Without missing a beat, Biden added, “I promise you, the president has a big stick.”
Paging Dr. Freud.
You can almost hear one of the several bubble-headed bleached blondes on Fox News blasting Biden and the Democrats with, “OK, now you’re bragging. That’s a cheap way to try to get the woman vote.”
The Biden line was priceless for late night comics.
It probably contributed in some perverse manner to the latest GOP critique of Obama as a celebrity who just happens to be president.
Mitt Romney, who famously in 2008, barked “Who let the dogs out” during a campaign speech, this time might want to chant to his supporters, “Can’t touch it.”
What wasn’t reported, because it’s not true, but it’s part of this bit anyway, is that Biden secretly offered tips to Romney on how to come across less square and more hip if he wants to get some of that youth vote.
Biden’s suggestions on how Mitt can be hip:
1. Change name to Mitt Rom.com
2. Have his sons form a boy band and call themselves The Rich Kids on the Block.
3. Centerfold in Fortune 500 magazine.
4. As part of hosting “Saturday Night Live,” Mitt gets to play Mr. Roboto with musical guests Styxx.
5. In the 1950s, President Eisenhower campaigned on stumps with Abbott and Costello. Every so often on campaign trail this time, Mitt can be straight man in comic routines with Larry the Cable Guy.
6. Write forward to new tome “The Book of Mormon Bromances.”
7. Spring break 2013 at California mansion (car elevator off limits)
8. New Cabinet post: Secretary of Tweeting
9. Announce contest Go on a (platonic) double date with Donny and Marie Osmond
10. Pimp one of Ann’s two Cadillac rides.
- iPhone 3GS Full diamante,Diamond,rhinestone,bling Protective hard cases on Future fundraiser
- iPhone 3GS Full diamante,Diamond,rhinestone,bling Protective hard Case on Talkin’ ’bout my generation
- read more on CEO vs. community organizer
- finances on The melancholy riff
- Politics Fact Checker on Real guy stuff
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008