The Cal League season opens next Thursday. Usually, it’s several days after the big leaguers start, but this time the Cal League actually opens before some big league teams, like the Angels, who open on Friday. The 66ers open at the Quakes on April 5.
No rosters are out yet but Here are some possibilities of players it would be interesting to see:
The 66ers officially unveiled the new signs and logos for the newly renamed San Manuel Stadium (formerly Arrowhead Credit Union Park) at Wednesday’s press conference.
I like the logo: it incorporartes a baseball diamond, 2 bats and a tribal logo all into one.
There is another sign out on the E Street entrance to the ballpark. and the signage in the ballpark is improved. Parking lots have been repaved.
Although I didn’t write the news story, I was at the press conference.
Here are some noteworthy points:
- The naming rights agreement is for 5 years, as approved by the tribe. There is a renewable 5-year option after that.
- Initially, 3-, 5- and 10-year deals were explored before the 5-year was approved.
- The amount of the money in the deal is undisclosed, but that money goes to the team. However, the city gets a cut of all revenue. The city gets a percentage of the naming-rights deal at the same rate as the rest of the advertising for the 66ers.
- San Manuel had already sponsored the state-of-the-art scoreboard that was installed two years ago and had been involved with the team for years before that.
- The key member in all of this is Byron Marquez, the 66ers’ Director of Business Relations & President of Family Outreach. Marquez is also a member of the San Manuel Tribe and presented the proposal to the tribal members for a vote.
- There was a game played between Fontana and Yucaipa, the first game under the new stadium name following Wednesday’s press conference. However, there will be a full county clash of 3 games on Saturday, capped by Yucaipa-Redlands at 7 p.m.
- The 66ers’ season begins April 5, with the home opener April 12.