Clippers forward Zach Randolph was suspended for two games for his role in a fight with Phoenix’ Louis Amundsen in Tuesday game against the Suns. He was not assessed any additional fine.
I don’t like to trade in the rumor-mongering world that much, or that often. But expect the Clippers name to pop up frequently in those types of stories the next few days. Basically, the Clippers have a lot of guys that a lot of teams have interest in.
My read is that the only untouchable guy on the team right now is rookie Eric Gordon, followed closely by Al Thornton, Zach Randolph and Marcus Camby.
That’s right, Marcus Camby. I’ve been repeatedly told the Clippers do not want to trade Camby. And really, why should they. Camby has a relatively inexpensive contract, has been a great team leader and is playing like an All Star.
Now, does that mean the team would never trade one of the aforementioned players? No. It means they don’t want to trade them and it would take a lot to change their minds.
Notice, however, who I did not list among the untouchables and draw your own conclusions. The best way I can explain it is that the Clippers are listening and taking calls. I wouldn’t say they are making a ton of them.
I was told, however, that if the Clippers were trying to dump Kaman’s salary, they could’ve done it in two seconds. In other words, that’s not the objective.
Their front office believes that if everyone is healthy, the team can contend for a playoff spot. Coach Dunleavy has spoken repeatedly about wanting to see how Camby, Randolph and Chris Kaman play together, which still hasn’t happened.
But this time of year, you always answer your phone.
The Clippers have agreed to a trade for Detroit guard Alex Acker, a former Pepperdine star.
The deal will be formally announced Monday afternoon. In order to make room for Acker on their roster, the Clippers are expected to waive reserve center Cheikh Samb, who was acquired in a trade with Denver last month.
This is yet another creative deal for the Clippers, who will receive cash considerations from the Pistons that essentially pay for Acker’s salary, and a future second round pick.
Acker is a solid player who hasn’t been able to crack Detroit’s rotation because of veterans like Rip Hamilton and Allen Iverson, and young stars like Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo ahead of him.
According to a source close to the Pistons, Acker’s contract has a team option for next year. Which means that like Samb, the Clippers will be getting a free look at a young player over the final two months of this season.
By making this trade, Detroit avoids paying the luxury tax this season.
Here are a few quotes from Elgin Baylor’s lawyers from today’s news conference, followed by the statement released this afternoon by Clippers general counsel Robert H. Platt…
BAYLOR LAWYER CARL DOUGLAS
(on whether there was an attempt to settle before the lawsuit was filed…)
“There was nothing that was said to us that gave us any indication that they were interested in resolving this matter fairly. We were very disappointed by their response.”
(on the lawsuit…)
“I think that the facts speak for themselves. Certainly, Elgin Baylor is an icon in this city. He is a city treasure, and for them to treat Elgin Baylor, after dedicating 22 years of his hard work, his sweat and his tears to this organization, is indeed an abomination.”
(on why the NBA is included in the lawsuit…)
“It’s important to remember that the NBA knows the salaries that are paid to each of the general managers in the league. It is offensive that Elgin Baylor, with 22 years of experience, having been the executive of the year back in 2006, would have been paid a salary that, based on comparable NBA general managers, is a disgrace.”
(on whether a settlement is still possible…)
“We keep the doors of negotiation open … but we aren’t starting this action for the purpose of trying to encourage a settlement. … We will be able to prove everything that is there.”
(more general comments on the lawsuit…)
“Elgin Baylor has not been treated fairly by the team that he gave 22 years of his life. He was given this retirement contract and told to take it or leave it. After 22 years, that’s just not fair, and what we’re going to do is bring justice to Elgin Baylor and his time with the Los Angeles Clippers.”
(on way Baylor stayed with the Clippers despite the alleged poor treatment…)
“One thing to remember about Elgin is, he’s humble, he’s poised, he’s gracious. He’s a team player. It’s not of his nature to rock the boat. He was one of 30 people that held those kinds of jobs. It was his life, working in the city that he loved, and he hoped that with his continued effort, he’d be able to turn the team around and to make them into a winner. Regrettably, he was tossed out before he was given that chance.”
BAYLOR LAWYER ALVIN PITTMAN
(on why the NBA is included in the lawsuit…)
“The NBA is akin to an individual to whom much is given. The NBA regulates the entirety of professional basketball, and yet we ask or expect little of it when it comes to the issue of employment of minorities in executive positions. The NBA will fine people for speech and conduct, but on a significant issue such as discrimination in employment within the executive ranks, minorities can play the game but the NBA the is deaf, blind and mute when it comes to the issue of employment discrimination in the executive ranks. The NBA has a duty to act. It has done nothing. That’s why the NBA is a partner.”
The following is a statement from the Los Angeles Clippers’ General Counsel Robert H. Platt, a partner at the law firm of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips:
“Now that they have staged their press conference, it has become even more apparent that the decision to bring the suit was driven by publicity-seeking attorneys hoping to draw attention to themselves. Their false claims carry no weight and have no credibility.
“Elgin Baylor was with the Clippers for 22 years and he received numerous salary increases and was always treated well.
“During Elgin’s tenure, the other NBA teams employed over 125 General Managers with an average tenure of less than five years. In fact, despite the team’s poor draft history and record, Elgin was the NBA’s longest serving General Manager when he chose to resign.
“Elgin rejected the opportunity to continue with the organization as a paid consultant or stay in his current job. People can judge for themselves the results of his performance during his 22 years on the job. We stand by our assertion that Elgin was always treated fairly and honorably.”
Here is the full text of the statement Elgin Baylor made to the media today, one day after he filed a lawsuit against the Clippers and the NBA:
“I’m Elgin Baylor. I’m here with my wife, Elaine. I dedicated the last 22 years of my life as a NBA executive, working with the Los Angeles Clippers organization, in the position of executive vice president and general manager. It was a job that I loved.
“Against tremendous odds, I put my heart and soul into that job. Working for Donald Sterling was never easy. I was often forced to work under challenging conditions. The authority granted to me was too limited and restricted, for the position I held. It was like working with one hand tied behind my back, but given the shortage of blacks in the executive roles within the NBA, I felt obligated to hang in there and endure whatever came my way.
“I worked with the Clipper organization, under contract, for only for my first six years, until 1993. After that, it was if I had passed the smell test. For the remainder of my time, I was told I did not need a formal written agreement. Donald Sterling always assured me, whenever I asked about my contract situation and my salary, that I was a lifer, that I would remain a part of the Clipper family until I decided to retire. Sometime before the 2006 season, Clipper president Andy Roeser started harassing me about my age. `Elgin, how old are you?’ he would ask repeatedly. `When are you planning to retire?’
“Two thousand and six was a magical year. The team that I pushed Sterling to assemble made it to the second round of the playoffs, exceeding everyone’s expectation. I was honored, by the Sporting News, to be named the NBA executive of the year. The team’s coach was acknowledged and rewarded with a new, long-term contract worth over $20 million. When I asked Donald Sterling if he was going to take care of me, he said nothing. He offered me nothing. He did nothing. No salary increase, no bonus, nothing. Not only was my salary structure left unchanged, my duties, responsibilities and the little authority that had been a part of my position were further diminished by Sterling and Roeser. Player-personnel meetings were planned and conducted without my knowledge and without inviting me to attend. I was left out of contract negotiations. The job that I loved was slowly being taken away from me and there was never an explanation.
“In 2006, the head coach was secretively given many of my general-manager duties. In 2008, I discovered this while researching an unrelated matter. I stumbled upon the coach’s contract and I saw, for the first time, that most of my duties had been given to him. This past August, I was handed an agreement and told to take it or leave it. Given that I had invested so much into the Clippers and the NBA, I was traumatized by this situation, and today I remain mentally and emotionally devastated.
“In closing, I want to make one thing clear: I did not retire. I had so much more to give. The way I was treated by the NBA and the Clippers was unfair and, in many ways, discriminatory. It was wrong. We are forced to take this action because our efforts to resolve this dispute quietly were essentially ignored. So I look forward to having my day in court. I thank you, and may God bless you.”