Blake Griffin/Photo courtesy of Los Angeles Clippers
Remember last week when we reported that Blake Griffin removed himself from Team USA’s national team that was to compete in the FIBA World Cup? At the time, Griffin said he wanted to focus on the upcoming season with the Clippers.
Well, ESPN.com – citing sources – on Monday reported that Griffin was actually advised by doctors to avoid international competition during the summer so he can give a small fracture in his back more time to heal ahead of the 2014-15 NBA campaign.
Blake Griffin/Photo courtesy of Los Angeles Clippers
Power forward Blake Griffin on Thursday announced he is pulling himself off Team USA and will not play with the national team this summer. He was one of 19 players selected to the roster; the USA World Cup team will be chosen from that roster.
“I appreciate the invitation to play for Team USA this summer,” Griffin said. “It is a special opportunity any time you have a chance to represent your country, and I was honored to be included. However, right now I want to focus and dedicate 100 percent of my energy on improving and preparing for the upcoming season with the Clippers.”
Glen Davis/Photo courtesy of Los Angeles Clippers
The Clippers have re-signed veteran post Glen “Big Baby” Davis to a one-year contract for the veterans’ minimum of $1.2 million, according to league sources.
Davis, who is 6-foot-9 and about 290 pounds, came to the Clippers this past season from the Orlando Magic. He played the first four years of his career for the Boston Celtics under current Clippers coach Doc Rivers.
Davis, 28, played in 23 regular-season games for the Clippers in 2013-14. He averaged 4.2 points and 3.0 rebounds. He has career scoring and rebounding averages of 8.7 and 4.7, respectively.
The Los Angeles Times was first to report this deal.
Keith Benson/Photo courtesy of Oakland University
The Clippers are now 1-3 in summer league play after being defeated by the Miami Heat 96-87 on Wednesday at Cox Pavilion on the campus of University of Nevada Las Vegas.
Keith Benson – a 6-foot-10 power forward out of Oakland University – led the Clippers with 18 points off the bench.
DeAndre Liggins, a 6-6 shooting guard/small forward out of Kentucky, scored 14 points. Shawn Jones – a 6-7 power forward from Middle Tennessee St. – led Los Angeles with eight rebounds. Benson had six rebounds.
Miami (1-4) got a team-high 18 points from Justin Hamilton, a 7-foot post out of LSU. Tyler Honeycutt – a 6-8 forward who played at UCLA – led both teams with 15 rebounds.
The Clippers next play Friday at 3 p.m. against the Toronto Raptors at Cox Pavilion.
Spencer Hawes (top) and Jordan Farmar/photos courtesy of Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers
The Clippers on Wednesday night announced they have officially signed free agents Jordan Farmar and Spencer Hawes.
Terms were not disclosed. However, Hawes – a 7-foot post – is reportedly looking at a four-year contract while point guard Farmar – most recently of the Lakers – has a two-year contract.
The team will hold a news conference Thursday at its headquarters in Playa Del Rey.
Hawes was with Philadelphia and Cleveland in 2013-14. He has career scoring and rebounding averages of 9.7 and 6.4, respectively.
Farmar has averaged 7.9 points and 3.0 assists during his seven-year career.
Danny Granger/photo courtesy of Los Angeles Clippers
Small forward Danny Granger, who played 12 regular-season games for the Clippers after coming over from Indiana this past season, has agreed to a two-year deal with the Miami Heat.
Granger, who has a career scoring average of 17.4 but has battled injuries the past couple of years, is expected to get $4.2 million over two years, with the second year being a player option.
Yahoo Sports was first to report the accord.
C.J. Wilcox (top) and Reggie Bullock/photos courtesy of Los Angeles Clippers
The Clippers on Monday announced their summer league roster and recent first-round draft choice shooting guard C.J. Wilcox is not on it.
According to head coach and team president Doc Rivers, Wilcox has an injured right shoulder.
Small forward Reggie Bullock, the team’s 2013 first-round draft choice, also is absent from the summer league roster because of a sore right quad sustained during the 2013-14 campaign.
“We would obviously love for both Reggie and C.J. to play in Summer League,” Rivers said. “However, we want to take a conservative approach in their rehab process and make sure they are fully healthy and ready to go for the start of training camp.”
The Clippers will play in the league from July 11-21 at Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion on the campus of University of Nevada Las Vegas.
Jordan Farmar/photo courtesy of Los Angeles Lakers
Free agent point guard Jordan Farmar and the Clippers have reportedly come to terms on a two-year deal.
The two-year accord is for $4.2 million, with the second year being a player option.
Farmar, out of UCLA, played the first four years of his career for the Lakers, played two years for the New Jersey Nets, did not play in 2012-13 and then played this past season for the Lakers.
In 41 regular-season games in an injury-plagued 2013-14, Farmar averaged 10.1 points and 4.9 assists. He is averaging 7.9 points and 3.0 assists over his seven-year career.
Farmar, 27, went to Taft High in Woodland Hills.
This could off-set the recent loss of point guard Darren Collison, who signed with Sacramento.
The Los Angeles Times first reported this deal, citing NBA executives not at liberty to speak publicly on the matter.
Thursday is the first day free agents can actually sign their contracts.
Spencer Hawes/photo courtesy of Cleveland Cavaliers
The Clippers have reportedly come to terms with free agent post Spencer Hawes on a four-year contract, according to a report on YahooSports.com, which cited league sources.
Hawes, who is 7-foot, has played seven seasons in the NBA. He was with both Philadelphia and Cleveland in 2013-14.
The Seattle native, who is 26, has career scoring and rebounding averages of 9.7 and 6.4, respectively.
According to the story, Hawes will be paid $23 million over four years, with the fourth year being a player option.
Darren Collison/photo courtesy of Los Angeles Clippers
Doc Rivers was talking priorities on the night of the NBA Draft. One was to re-sign backup point guard Darren Collison.
“Our first guy, I’ll be honest, is one of our guys that opted out,” Rivers said June 26. “He’s a little guy. That’s very important for us.”
Rivers confirmed he was talking about Collison. Lo and behold, Collison has agreed to a three-year deal with the Sacramento Kings. The accord is for $16 million, according to the L.A. Times, which first reported the news.
Collison told this newspaper in mid-June he wanted to stay with the Clippers.
“My intention is to stick with the Clippers,” he said. “They’re a good team. Good teams like San Antonio and Miami have stuck with the same core. I’d love to stay for three to four years, but there has to be a mutual agreement.”
Collison, out of UCLA and Etiwanda High in Rancho Cucamonga, just completed his fifth NBA season. He spent a year with New Orleans, two with Indiana and one each with Dallas and the Clippers.
Over that time he has averaged 11.9 points and 4.9 assists. He averaged 11.4 points and 3.7 assists this past season with Los Angeles. He played in 80 regular-season games, starting 35.
Here is the Associated Press story: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20140703/darren-collison-agrees-to-3-year-16-million-deal-with-sacramento-kings-according-to-source