On that terribly rainy Sunday in late March, I had just eaten at the original Bob’s Big Boy in Toluca Lake and was looking for the freeway when, just behind a 24-hour dry cleaner a block from Bob’s, what did I see but a University of La Verne satellite campus. Wha…?
“What you spied on your trek to the original Bob’s Big Boy was University of La Verne’s San Fernando Valley Regional Campus in Burbank,” reports ULV spokesman Charles Bentley, a familiar name in this blog’s comments section, in answer to my query.
Bentley continues: “The university has served the ‘Valley’ for more than 30 years, providing accelerated degree programs for working adults. Today individuals can take classes at the regional campus, at the College of the Canyon’s Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, and at 10 corporate locations we are partnered with in that area.”
Presumably no classes are offered at Bob’s Big Boy. That’s just where you go for a malt after class. And if you spill any on your sleeve, you can stop at the 24-hour dry cleaner.
But back to Bentley, who continues: “La Verne, currently celebrating its 120th year, is proud to state that we are ‘Eleven campuses, four colleges, one university, one vision.’ ” Stirring. Here’s the full list of the campuses (campi?):
* Main campus – La Verne (1950 Third Street)
* College of Law campus – Ontario (320 E. D Street)
* Inland Empire Regional Campus – Ontario (3237 Guasti Road)
* High Desert Regional Campus – Victorville
* San Fernando Valley Regional Campus – Burbank
* Orange County Regional Campus – Irvine
* Kern County Regional Campus – Bakersfield
* Ventura County Regional Campus – Oxnard
* Central Coast Regional Campus – San Luis Obispo
* Vandenberg Air Force Base Military Center
* Point Mugu Naval Air Station Military Center
ULV at one point had a campus in Athens, Greece. No joke. For all its obvious benefits to transfer students, the Grecian campus wasn’t near a Bob’s Big Boy. I can’t speak to the dry cleaning situation.