You would think that a place called Panera Bread would cater to people who like…uh…bread, right?
But what about those who don’t eat bread, because of allergies or dietary restrictions?
Panera’s recently-launched “hidden menu” might just fit the bill.
The chain, known for its pastries, breads, bagels, sandwiches, soups and salads, rolled out several bread-free options in New York City back in November of last year. They went nationwide in January.
The menu is so secret, we just found out about it yesterday.
Here’s a look at the items:
- Power breakfast egg white bowl with roasted turkey: Roasted turkey, egg whites, warm baby spinach, roasted peppers and basil pesto.
- Power breakfast egg bowl with steak: Two eggs, seared top sirloin, sliced avocado and tomatoes.
Lunch and dinner
- Power Mediterranean chicken salad: Chicken, baby spinach, romaine, tomatoes, applewood smoked bacon, diced eggs, fresh-squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Power Mediterranean roasted turkey salad: Roasted turkey, baby spinach, romaine, tomatoes, red onions, Kalamata olives, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Power chicken hummus bowl: Chicken, with cilantro jalapeño hummus, baby spinach, cucumbers, diced tomatoes and red onions, and finished with fresh-squeezed lemon and fresh-chopped cilantro.
- Power steak lettuce wraps: Seared top sirloin, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, diced tomatoes and red onions, basil pesto and finished with fresh lemon juice.
You won’t find the “hidden menu” in the cafe. Just mention that you’re ordering off it, as we did today.
We tried the Power Mediterranean chicken salad ($7.99) and thought it was delicious. In fact, it’s probably the best salad we’ve had that wasn’t slathered in dressing. Very flavorful. The portion was good, and right now, if you purchase a drink with any entrée, you can add any bakery treat for just 99¢.
That proved to be too good to pass up. So much for any dietary gains from just having a salad for lunch.
You can read more about Panera’s “hidden menu” here.
Inland Empire Panera Bread locations include Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, Redlands, Chino Hills, Ontario, Fontana, Victorville, Riverside, Corona, Moreno Valley, Hemet, Menifee, Temecula, Palm Springs, Palm Desert and La Quinta.