The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, in cooperation with Barstow, Chino, Colton, Fontana, Montclair, Ontario, Redlands, Rialto, San Bernardino and Upland police departments, will have its first countywide gun buyback tomorrow (June 1).
Guns traded in will be exchanged for Stater Bros. gift cards in varying amounts:
- $50 gift cards for inoperable weapons
- Up to $100 in gift cards for handguns, shotguns and rifles
- Up to $200 in gift cards for assault weapons (as classified in the State of California)
The event, which will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., is similar to a highly successful event conducted in December 2010 by the San Bernardino Police Department.
The goal of the event is to reduce gun violence by getting guns off the streets. It’s completely anonymous, and there is no limit to the number of weapons that can be turned in.
The buyback program will take place at the following locations:
- Barstow: Cora Harper Community Center, 841 Barstow Road (Barstow Police Department)
- Redlands: Stater Bros. Market, 11 E. Colton Ave. (Redlands Police Department)
- Rialto: Stater Bros. Market, 571 E. Foothill Blvd. (Colton, Fontana and Rialto police departments)
- San Bernardino: Stater Bros. Market, 444 E. Base Line (San Bernardino Police Department)
- Upland: Stater Bros. Market, 919 N. Mountain Ave. (Chino, Montclair, Ontario and
Upland police departments)
- Victorville: Stater Bros. Market, 15235 Hook Blvd. (San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department)
Guns should be unloaded and stored in the trunk or rear of the vehicle.