We’re in the midst of the Lenten season, but you don’t need to step foot in any church to find that out.
All you have to do is drive past any fast food outlet.
As is an annual tradition, fast food restaurants are advertising their seafood offerings, hoping to reel in customers who are eschewing meat on Fridays.
Here’s what you can expect to find at your local eatery:
- Wendy’s has brought back its Premium Cod Fillet Sandwich. It’s made with North Pacific cod, covered with a panko coating and deep fried.
- McDonald’s has been advertising its perennial Filet-O-Fish for just $1.59 on Fridays.
- Wienerschnitzel has revived its “UnDER the Sea Trio”: The Sea Dog (a hot-dog shaped fish fillet, served in a hot dog bun), a fish wrap and fish and chips.
- Church’s Chicken should rename itself Church’s Chicken, Shrimp and Fish, as those are its current offerings. Guests can get a crispy fish or shrimp meal, complete with small fries and a biscuit.
- Panda Express’ limited-time Golden Szechuan Fish is made from North Pacific cod, lightly battered and combined with sugar peas and red bell peppers in a Szechuan sauce.
- Del Taco has brought back its crispy shrimp, which is available in both tacos and burritos for a limited time. Also, beer-battered fish tacos have returned. Two shrimp tacos will set you back $4, while a pair of beer-battered fish tacos can be had for $3.50.
- Burger King has been touting its Big Fish and new Big Fish Deluxe (includes cheese and “King sauce”) sandwiches.
- Quiznos has re-introduced its lobster and seafood salad sandwich filling and salad topper. Also, one of the chain’s new pastas is mac and cheese with lobster and seafood.
- Popeyes has rolled out its Seafood Mardi Gras menu, consisting of a Popcorn Shrimp meal, a Seafood Po’Boy sandwich, a Cajun Fish meal, a Fish and Popcorn Shrimp meal, and a Butterfly Shrimp meal.
- Carl’s Jr. has resurrected the Charbroiled Atlantic Cod Fish sandwich and taco. Bonus points for having two of the few non-fried options. Head to the chain’s website for a coupon for a free soda when you purchase either cod item.
- El Pollo Loco has added Baja shrimp entrées to its menu. Guests can choose from the following camarón loco items: Shrimp and chicken bowl, shrimp tacos or a shrimp tostada.
- Arby’s has brought back its Reel Big Fillet fish sandwich for a limited time.