The Dodgers defeated the Cubs 7-2 tonight at Dodger Stadium. For a full box and recap click here.
THE BARE ESSENTIALS
* With the Rockies breathing down the Dodgers necks and threatening to climb one game closer in the West Division standings, Russell Martin said enough is enough, blasting a grand slam in the sixth inning to break open a tie game and give the Dodgers a 6-2 lead. The Dodgers never looked back and for one night, anyway, kept their 3 1/2 game lead over the Rockies.
* Martin slugged the second grand slam of his career and the Dodgers’ fifth bases-clearing homer of the seaso. His other granny was a walk-off shot on April 21, 2007 vs. Pittsburgh…Oddly enough, Los Angeles’ last grand slam by Manny Ramirez on July 22 vs. Cincinnati also broke a 2-2 tie in the sixth inning.
* Jeff Weaver tossed a season-high 5.1 innings and lowered his ERA to 3.13 (11 ER/31.2 IP) in his seven starts.
* Matt Kemp went 2-for-4 for his 39th multi-hit game of the season, one behind Andre Ethier’s 40 for the club lead. Kemp continues to pace the Dodgers with 140 hits.
* The Dodgers improved to 72-50 and remain 2.0 games ahead of the Phillies (69-49) for the best record in the National League.
* With roughly three quarters of the season completed, Los Angeles leads the National League with a 72-50 record, a nine game improvement over its 63-59 mark at the 122-game mark in 2008.
* The Dodger bullpen has allowed just one earned run over its last 15.1 innings (0.59 ERA) in five games.
* The Dodgers improved to 1,015-1,014 against the Cubs in 2,029 all-time meetings between the franchises.
* THe four-game series continues Friday with the Dodgers sending LHP Randy Wolf (7-6, 3.43) against RHP Randy Wells (9-5, 3.01)