The Dodgers defeated the Cubs 2-1 tonight at Dodger Stadium. For a full box and recap
THE BARE ESSENTIALS:
* Three Dodger pitchers combined to limit the Cubs to a season-low one hit…The last time the Dodgers one-hit an opponent was July 7, 2008, when Hiroki Kuroda shut out the Braves 3-0…the Cubs were limited to one hit for the first time since August 31, 2005 by Derek Lowe and the Dodgers at Wrigley Field.
* On the eve of his 33rd birthday, Randy Wolf went 1-for-1 with a double, a walk, and two RBI…With 11 RBI, he tied his career high set in 2003 as a member of the Phillies…Wolf also tied a career-best four-game hit streak, going 6-for-10 (.600) with two doubles, a home run, and five RBI in that span…Wolf’s 11 RBI are tops among Dodger pitchers and are the most RBI by a Los Angeles pitcher since Fernando Valenzuela’s 11 RBI in 1990…Don Drysdale holds the Los Angeles Dodgers record for RBI by a pitcher with 19 set in 1965.
* Wolf allowed a season-low one hit in 7.0 innings…he is 3-0 with a 1.99 ERA (5 ER/22.2 IP) in his last three starts.
* Los Angeles improved to 73-50 and leads St. Louis (70-54) by 3.5 games for the best record in the Senior Circuit.
* Juan Pierre has six hits in his last 10 pinch-hit opportunities dating to August 8…Pierre is batting .333 (10-for-30) with two walks and two sacrifices in 34 pinch-hitting appearances overall.
* The Dodgers improved to 22-16 in one-run games, 18-6 at home.