The Cardinals defeated the Dodgers 3-2 tonight at Dodger Stadium. For a full box and recap click here
* Albert Pujols walked, stole second – taking third on a bad throw – then scored on Matt Holliday’s fly ball to center in the bottom of the ninth against Jonathan Broxton as the Cardinals beat the Dodgers.
* The Dodgers’ division lead shrank to 3.5 games over the Rockies, their smallest margin since May 12 when they led the Giants by 3.0 games.
* The Dodgers committed a season-high three errors for the second time this season…Los Angeles also committed three miscues on July 4 at San Diego.
* Clayton Kershaw threw 97 pitches in 3.2 innings, his second shortest outing of the season…he entered the night 1-0 with 21 strikeouts and a 1.29 (3 ER/21.0 IP) in three career starts against St. Louis.
* The Dodgers dropped their fourth straight one-run game, falling to 21-16 overall and 17-6 at home.
* Despite the loss, four Dodger relievers combined to toss 5.1 innings of one-run ball, allowing just three baserunners on one hit and two walks.
* Jonathan Broxton had his win streak snapped at seven, dropping his first decision of the season…Since his last victory, Broxton has successfully saved three of six opportunities and allowed six runs in 10.1 innings (5.23 ERA) over 10 appearances.
* Los Angeles dropped its fifth consecutive series to the Cardinals…the Dodgers last claimed a series victory against St. Louis from May 14-16, 2007, taking two of three at home.
* Orlando Hudson’s one-out single in the sixth ended Adam Wainwright’s no-hit bid, marking the longest the Dodgers had been held hitless to start a game…Los Angeles’ previous hitless drought to start a game was 4.2 innings on June 16 vs. Oakland.
* Los Angeles signed Vicente Padilla to a minor-league contract today…According to manager Joe Torre, Padilla is expected to pitch this weekend for Triple-A Albuquerque and take the hill for the Dodgers on Thursday at Colorado.
* Prior to the game, the Dodgers placed Hiroki Kuroda on the 15-day disabled list (concussion) retroactive to August 16 and recalled infielder Tony Abreu from Triple-A Albuquerque.
* The Dodgers open a four-game home series against the Cubs, sending RHP Jeff Weaver (5-4, 3.71) against LHP Tom Gorzelanny (5-2, 5.24).