The Diamondbacks defeated the Dodgers 4-1 at Dodger Stadium tonight. For a full box and recap click here
THE BARE ESSENTIALS:
* The Dodgers had no answer for Arizona starter Max Scherze, whor tossed a career-high 7.2 innings for the second time, matching his effort from June 11 vs. San Francisco. The only Dodger to have success was Andre Ethier, who went 3-for-4 and is now batting .367 (29-for-79) with 15 RBI in his last 20 games with an at bat. Manny Ramirez had an RBI single.
* Chad Billingsley was perfect through four innings, but gave up four runs in the fifth inning to take the loss.
* Matt Kemp’s career-long home run streak ended at four games.
* Doug Mientkiewicz stroked a pinch-hit single in the sixth inning in his first game since April 16, when his dislocated his shoulder sliding into second base.
* Dodgers failed to hit a long ball after a season-long eight consecutive games with a home
* The Dodgers and the Cardinals share the National League’s best record with identical 79-55 marks….The two clubs had matching 17-8 records on May 2, and Los Angeles had been in sole possession of the Senior Circuit’s top mark for 92 consecutive days.
* Charlie Haeger made his first relief appearance in a Dodger uniform, tossing a scoreless ninth…Each of his last three relief appearances have come at Dodger Stadium, the previous two (Sept. 23-24, 2008) coming as a member of the San Diego Padres.
* In the finale of the four-game series Thursday, the Dodgers send newcomer RHP Jon Garland (8-11, 4.29) against his former teammates at RHP Billy Buckner (2-5, 8.63).