The Dodgers beat the Pirates 5-4 in 13 innings tonight at Dodger Stadium. For a full box and recap click here.
THE BARE ESSENTIALS:
* Once again, Andre Ethier was the hero, hitting a dramatic, game-winning two-run home run in the bottom of the 13th to win it or the Dodgers. Ethier now has a major-league leading six walk-off hits and four walk-off homers this season…Ethier also leads the majors with nine walk-off hits since the start of the 2008 season…It was the Dodgers’ 12th walk-off win of the season.
* Ethier became the first Dodger with a 30-homer season since Adrian Beltre slugged 48 in 2004. And for good measure, with his ninth-inning double, Ethier became the first Dodger to hit 40 doubles in a season since Shawn Green’s 49 in 2003…His 40 doubles tie for sixth with Raul Mondesi (1996) and Eric Karros (1999) on the Dodgers single season doubles list.
* Jonathan Broxton has not allowed an earned run since August 15, going a perfect nine-for-nine in save opportunities and striking out 28 in 17.0 innings over 16 appearances in that span.
* The Dodgers lead the Rockies by 5.0 games in the NL West and the Cardinals by 2.0 games for the Senior Circuit’s top record…Los Angeles’ magic number to clinch a postseason berth is 10, meaning any combination of Dodgers wins and Giants losses totaling 10 would send the club to the playoffs for the third time in four years.
* The Dodgers are a season-high 28 games above the .500 mark.
* The Dodgers improved to 27-19 in one-run games, 20-7 at home…Los Angeles in 6-4 in its last 10 one-run contests.
* In the finale of the three-game series today 1t 12:30 p.m., the Dodgers send RHP Hiroki Kuroda (6-6, 4.00) against RHP Kevin Hart (1-5, 6.46)