The Dodgers fell to the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-3 tonight in Arizona. For a full box click here.
* Arizona rallied for the winning run in the bottom of the ninth, taking advantage of a throwing error by Dodgers reliever Ramon Troncoso that allowed Gerardo Parra to reach second base to begin the inning. Parra moved to third on a sacrifice bunt, and Troncoso put the next two runners on with intentional walks, setting up a match-up against Mark Reynolds with the bases loaded. Reynolds worked the count to 3-2, fouled off a couple of pitches, then drew a game-winning walk.
* The Dodgers lead in the National League West is down to 2 1/2 games over Colorado, which rallied for two runs in the ninth inning to beat the Reds.
* Manny Ramirez had two hits – including his 18th home run of the year – and an RBI.
* Jon Garland gave up three runs over six pretty solid innings.
The Dodgers open a three-game series in San Francisco beginning Friday.
Ken Gurnick at MLB.com reports that Randy Wolf will miss his next start due to stiffness in the back of his left elbow. .According to Gurnick But Wolf was getting a bullpen session in before Tuesday night’s game in Arizona when he felt stiffness and tried to compensate by changing his mechanics, at which point the decision was made to send him to Los Angeles for an exam.
Dr. Neal ElAttrache administered a cortisone injection Wednesday to calm “irritation,” according to trainer Stan Conte. The discomfort is not in the area of the Tommy John operation Wolf underwent in 2005.
The Dodgers came back in dramatic fashion to defeat the Diamondbacks 5-4 tonight in Arizona. For a full box and recap..
THE BARE ESSENTIALS:
* In a must-have win with the Rockies breathing down their necks, the Dodgers cameback from a 4-1 deficit with four runs in the eighth inning to defeat the Diamondback.
* James Loney tied the game 4-4 with a single, and Ronnie Belliard followed with a 50-foot infield single to drive in the winning run.
* Jonathan Broxton pitched the ninth for his 34th save.
* Loney, Orlando Hudson and Adre Ethier each had two hits. Ethier drove in a pair of runs.
* With the win, the Dodgers maintained their 3 1/2 game lead over Colorado.
* In the final game of the three-game series the Dodgers send RHP Jon Garland (9-11) against RHP Dan Haren (13-8)
The Dodgers defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-2 tonight at Dodger Stadium. For a full recap and boxscore click here
THE BARE ESSENTIALS:
* Jon Garland, making his first start with the Dodgers since being traded to L.A. from Arizona on Monda, allowed two runs in 7.0 innings, retiring the last 14 batters he faced…he is now 3-0 with a 2.70 ERA (6 ER/20.0 IP) in his last three starts.
* Casey Blake went 3-for-4 with a double, leaving him just five hits shy of 1,000 in his career (995).
* Manny Ramirez hit a lead-off home run in the fourth inning to ties the game 2-2, his 16th home run of the year.
* Ronnie Belliard went 2-for-3 with three RBI and is batting .333 (4-for-12) with one homer and four RBI in four games as a Dodger.
* After sharing the NL’s top record with the Cardinals for one day, Los Angeles claimed back the Senior Circuit’s top spot and now leads Philadelphia and St. Louis by 1.0 game.
* Garland became the 12th different Dodgers starting pitcher, one more than last year’s total of 11 and one shy of the Los Angeles Dodgers record of 13 set in 1964… he became the first Dodger starter to earn a victory in the last seven games.
* Jonathan Broxton picked up his 31st save, which ranks 10th on the all-time Dodger single season saves list, trailing Todd Worrell’s 32 in 1995 by one for the ninth spot…Eric Gagne has the Dodger record with 77 saves in both 2002 and 2003.
* The Dodgers open a three-game home series against the San Diego Padres Friday by sending LHP Clayton Kershaw (8-7, 2.94) against LHP Wade LeBlanc (0-1, 9.58).