Jaime Jarrin likes him some Twitter.

At a press conference today announcing his new three-year contract with the Dodgers, Hall of Fame broadcaster Jaime Jarrin expressed his love for the Dodgers, for his wife, and for … Twitter.

Followers of @JaimeJarrinHOF already know that the 76-year-old is a reliable source of information en Espaol, such as “Matt Kemp regresa a la alineacin de Dodgers como 4to. bate por primera vez este ao. Kemp cede el 3er. escaln a A-Gon.” (Translation: Matt Kemp is batting fourth for the first time this year. He had been batting third. He’s switching spots with Adrian Gonzalez.)

“I am enjoying that,” Jarrin said. “I am very dumb for all the technology we have now. They taught me how to send a Twitter and I’m enjoying that immensely. It is fantastic because now I can see how important baseball is for our listeners. I’m getting follower from Argentina, from Costa Rica, from Venezuela … from all over the world. I had a hint of that, but now I am seeing. They are asking me for more information on the Twitter. I am enjoying that very much.”

Here’s hoping some others in his profession follow suit.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Guerra, Federowicz on their way soon.

Rosters expand Saturday around Major League Baseball to include all players on the 40-man roster. The Dodgers are expected to bring two players up from Triple-A Albuquerque: catcher Tim Federowicz and pitcher Javy Guerra.

Federowicz is hitting .296/.371/.465 with 11 home runs and 76 RBIs in 114 games, which ranks third on the Isotopes. The 25-year-old appeared in the first seven games of his major-league career last season with the Dodgers, going 2-for-13.

Guerra had a pair of scoreless two-inning stints Aug. 22 and 25, then allowed four runs while recording only one out last Wednesday in Oklahoma City. His Triple-A ERA is an unsightly 8.31.

Those are the only two players expected to be added to the active roster Saturday, but Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that more could be added later on. One possibility is Dee Gordon, who was transferred to the 60-day disabled list on Thursday and therefore can’t come off until next Monday at the earliest.

Gordon is batting just .133 (2-for-15) in Albuquerque as he recovers from surgery on his right thumb, however, and might not be back Monday.

“He really hasn’t swung the bat well yet, so we’re going to let him play as long as we can,” Mattingly said.

The Pacific Coast League regular season ends Monday. The Isotopes are in first place, one game ahead of the Oklahoma City Redhawks, but have yet to clinch a playoff berth. Assuming they clinch, they would advance to a best-of-five first-round series, and Gordon could keep playing there.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Kenley Jansen’s timeline: One week or four weeks.

Kenley Jansen will learn Tuesday whether or not he will be able to help the Dodgers in their quest for a playoff spot.

The 24-year-old closer, who was hospitalized last Tuesday in Denver after experiencing cardiac arrhythmia, is taking prescription blood thinners. If he is able to come off the medication Monday, Jansen said he will be able to pitch as soon as Sept. 7 in San Francisco. If not, he will have to take the medication another four weeks, which projects to Sept. 28. The regular season ends Oct. 3.

“It’s my life,” he said. “I can’t play around with that.”

Jansen said he felt “fine” Friday, even throwing 25 pitches in a bullpen session and participating in a “totally normal” workout. But he did not take the field during batting practice and will watch the game against the Diamondbacks from inside the Dodgers’ clubhouse to avoid the possible consequences of being hit by a baseball. (Blood-thinning medication makes it more difficult for wounds to clot, so with any open wound Jansen runs the risk of losing a significant amount of blood.)

Continue reading

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Matt Kemp is back in the lineup and batting fourth.

Matt Kemp was penciled into the cleanup spot in the Dodgers’ lineup for the first time this season, and it appears his collision into the center-field wall in Colorado will only keep him out of the lineup for two games.

“It’s as good as it’s going to get,” he said of his knee, which was still swollen Thursday and rendered him unavailable for the Dodgers’ 2-0 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Kemp downplayed the severity of the pain in his left shoulder, but manager Don Mattingly said that the center fielder might still miss the game if the shoulder tightens up after batting practice.

In his career, Kemp is a better hitter out of the three hole, but he has more experience batting fourth (203 games) than third (185). He’s batting .289/.354/.521 as a cleanup hitter and .337/.392/.568 third.

“I batted fourth all last year,” Kemp said. “I know how to do it.”

Mattingly said that he wanted to separate left-handed hitters Adrian Gonzalez and Andre Ethier. Gonzalez is hitting third, Kemp fourth, Hanley Ramirez fifth and Ethier sixth. “Matt didn’t care either way, Adrian didn’t care either way,” Mattingly said.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page