The Dodgers formally announced their 2013 minor-league coaching staff Monday. It’s a long list with mostly familiar names:
Field Coordinator: Bruce Hines
Senior Advisor, Player Development: Gene Clines, Charlie Hough
Senior Advisor, Latin America: Ramon Martinez
Hitting Coordinator: Eric Owens
Pitching Coordinator: Rafael Chaves
Outfield/Baserunning Coordinator: Damon Mashore
Infield Coordinator: Pat Listach
Catching Coordinator: Travis Barbary
Assistant Hitting Coordinator: Todd Takayoshi
Assistant Pitching Coordinator: Richard Knapp
Coordinator of Arizona Instruction: John Shoemaker
Campo Las Palmas Coordinator: Henry Cruz
Field Coordinator, Campo Las Palmas: Antonio Bautista
Manager: Jody Reed
Hitting Coach: Orv Franchuk
Pitching Coach: Hector Berrios
Single-A Rancho Cucamonga:
Manager: Carlos Subero
Hitting Coach: Johnny Washington
Pitching Coach: Matt Herges
Manager: Damon Berryhill
Hitting Coach: Esteban Lopez
Pitching Coach: TBD
Sorting out the important details …
• John Valentin, the Triple-A hitting coach last year, is now the assistant major-league hitting coach to Mark McGwire. He’s replaced by Stubbs, who moves up from the same position at Double-A Chattanooga. Otherwise, the Albuquerque Isotopes’ staff remains intact.
• Subero was the manager at Chattanooga the last three seasons; he replaces Juan Bustabad in Rancho. Washington replaces Michael Boughton, who had been with the Dodgers organization since 2008, as the Quakes’ hitting coach. The Quakes went 68-72 in 2012 and missed the playoffs. Pete Marshall, who covers the California League for the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin and San Bernardino Sun, reports via Twitter that Bustabad is looking for work and might coach in high school next year.
• Reed was the Dodgers’ minor-league infield coordinator last year and guided the Arizona League Dodgers to a championship in 2011.
• Forbes spent the last nine seasons managing in the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh organizations, the last two at the helm of the Double-A Altoona Curve of the Eastern League.
• Takayoshi spent the past 11 seasons as a coach in the Angels’ organization, including the last six years as the Angels’ Roving Hitting Coordinator. Serving in a dual role in 2011, he was also the club’s field coordinator. Takayoshi was a two-time batting champion as left-handed hitting catcher during his four years of affiliated baseball in the Angels’ farm system from 1993-96.
• Knapp, who has spent 30 years in professional baseball, was the Royals’ minor league pitching coordinator last season after serving as the pitching coach of the Detroit Tigers from 2009-2011. Knapp, 51, pitched in five minor league seasons from 1983-87 in the Padres and Rangers organizations.
• Shoemaker, who has a long history with the organization, moves from Great Lakes to succeed Matt Martin as the Coordinator of Arizona Instruction. Martin also managed the AZL Dodgers to a 34-21 record last season, but appears to be out of the organization.