That memory was rekindled when the Dodgers announced the list of participants for Saturday’s “old-timer’s game,” which will be played at Dodger Stadium after the 1 p.m. game between the Dodgers and San Francisco Giants.
Admission to the game is free with a ticket to the Dodgers-Giants game. Introductions will be followed by a two-inning game. The full list of participants:
Team 1 (will wear Dodger home jerseys)
Dusty Baker OF
Tim Wallach 3B
Mickey Hatcher SS/OF
Steve Sax 2B
Mike Marshall 1B
Reggie Smith OF/1B
Steve Yeager C
Raul Mondesi OF
Davey Lopes 2B
Darryl Strawberry 1B/OF
Ron Cey 3B
Eric Gagné P
Fernando Valenzuela P
Team 2 (will wear Dodger alternate road jerseys)
Shawn Green OF
Derrel Thomas 2B/C
Bill Russell SS
Ken Landreaux OF
Eric Karros 1B
Rick Monday OF
Nomar Garciaparra 3B
Maury Wills SS
Steve Finley OF
Orel Hershiser P
Rick Honeycutt P
Some bullet points for a South Korean Parents’ Day:
• UCLA alumnus Meb Keflezighi, the first American in 32 years to win the Boston Marathon, will throw the ceremonial first pitch tonight.
• The name of this blog is Inside the Dodgers, but apparently that’s only because the team and MLB haven’t threatened legal action against us.
• BaseballAmerica.com projects the Dodgers to grab a high school pitcher in the first round of the June draft.
• OK, this is cool. MLBfarm.com has a search tool that allows you to see how each of the Dodgers’ (or any other team’s) top 20 prospects performed yesterday (or another day, last week or last month).
• Backstage Dodgers followed Puig to his Miami home Sunday morning.
• Only one current major-league manager has never been ejected from a game. The leaderboard is here.
• The Padres are messing with the outfield distances at Petco Park.
• Robert Glasper’s version is not the first acoustic piano cover of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” I’ve heard, but it is the smoothest: