Dodgers acquire Darwin Barney from Chicago Cubs.

Darwin Barney

Darwin Barney’s +46 defensive runs saved at second base from 2012-14 ranks first in the major leagues. (Associated Press photo)

According to multiple reports Monday morning, the Dodgers have acquired second baseman Darwin Barney from the Chicago Cubs. The 28-year-old veteran had been designated for assignment six days ago.

Update (12:30 p.m.): The trade is official. The Dodgers acquire Barney and cash from the Cubs for a player to be named later. Barney hasbeen added to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster so there is no corresponding move at the moment.

Barney, 28, is hitting 230/.265/.328 in 217 plate appearances with the Cubs this season. Known for his defense, Barney’s Ultimate Zone Rating per 150 games is +15.5. He’s got +7 Defensive Runs Saved this season and +46 over the past three seasons, first in the majors.

Prior to being designated for assignment by the Cubs, Barney had hit safely in eight of his previous 10 games, batting .385 (15-for-39) with two doubles, two triples and an RBI since July 1. He hit .230 with two home runs and 16 RBI in 72 games overall.

Update (2:06 p.m.): Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said via text message: “We added him because we believe he is a plus defender who can play second, short and third.”

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Full text of letter from U.S. Rep. Tony Cárdenas to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler.

Yesterday, we reported that Congressman Tony Cárdenas (D-San Fernando Valley) had written a letter to the Federal Communications Commission requesting the bureau mediate the ongoing dispute surrounding the Dodgers’ network, SportsNet L.A. You can read that story here.

The full text of Cárdenas’ letter is here:
Continue reading

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

After brawl, Erisbel Arruebarrena assigned to Single-A Rancho Cucamonga.

Erisbel Arruebarrena‘s rehab assignment at Triple-A Albuquerque came to a violent end Saturday night, when the 24-year-old infielder incited a massive brawl in the Isotopes’ game against the Reno Aces.

Sunday, the Dodgers activated Arruebarrena from the 15-day disabled list and re-assigned him to Single-A Rancho Cucamonga. The timing of the move, one day after the brawl, suggests this is more than a coincidence.

Arruebarrena had not been performing badly at Albuquerque. He hit his first Triple-A home run Saturday — his slow home run trot might have provoked Reno to begin with — and was batting .351/.410/.486. Albuquerque is playing Reno again tonight and Monday.

A source with knowledge of the situation said there is no precedent for a player on a major-league rehabilitation assignment being suspended by the Pacific Coast League. Nonetheless, the league is reviewing the incident and is expected to discipline Arruebarrena. It’s unclear whether or not he would be required to serve his suspension while playing in a different league.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page