Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal is on the 7-day concussion disabled list. (Associated Press photo)
The concussion Yasmani Grandal
sustained Friday was the second of his career; the first came in a Double-A game in 2011 and was much worse, he said.
The consequences of sustaining multiple concussions ultimately made going on the disabled list an easy choice for the 26-year-old catcher.
Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal, who was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list Saturday, is expected to miss only the minimum seven days before he returns, manager Don Mattingly said Sunday.
That would put Grandal on track to return to the Dodgers on Saturday against the Cardinals, the second day of a seven-game trip to St. Louis and Colorado.
Grandal played catch and ran in the outfield at Dodger Stadium prior to Sunday’s game against the San Diego Padres:
“I think he’ll end up playing some games to stay sharp,” Mattingly said. “He’s doing pretty good. He felt 100 percent yesterday. He’ll play two or three games before he comes back, not necessarily catch but play.”
Austin Barnes is up from Triple-A Oklahoma City to take Grandal’s spot on the 25-man roster. He is making his major league debut Sunday against the San Diego Padres.
Juan Uribe has started three of the Dodgers’ last 13 games at third base. Alex Guerrero is starting at third today, so it will soon become three of the last 14 for Uribe.
Uribe had a 13-game hitting streak from April 15 to May 4 that raised his slash line to .279/.318/.361 for the season. Since then Guerrero and Justin Turner have taken the majority of starts while Uribe has just two hits, both singles, in 19 at-bats. He’s gone from starting third baseman to “part of the mix” to, as manager Don Mattingly said Sunday, “eh, part of our club”: