Hanley Ramirez batted .283 with 13 home runs and 71 RBIs in 2014. (Getty Images)
did not accept the Dodgers’ qualifying offer by the Monday afternoon deadline, making him a free agent.
Ramirez was not expected to take the qualifying offer, a one-year $15.3 million contract for 2015, which would have amounted to a pay cut from his 2014 salary. No player has accepted his team’s qualifying offer in the three years since it became an option.
Though he played exclusively at shortstop in 2014, Ramirez’s future is seen at either as a corner infielder, corner outfielder, or designated hitter in the American League. Since the Dodgers are set at those positions for next season (and don’t have the option of using a designated hitter), they are not expected to try to entice Ramirez with a multiyear contract.
According to various reports, and even his own Twitter bio, Ramirez is open to changing positions. That could make him a very desirable player in a free-agent market lacking right handed power hitters.
Is Hanley Ramirez willing to switch positions for his next team?
This isn’t the Dodgers’ most pressing concern at the moment, but it was interesting to see that Ramirez changed his Twitter bio Monday morning from “MLB shortstop” to “MLB player.”
We promise not to make this a daily update … unless Hanley changes his mind again.
According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, one of the first orders of business for the Dodgers’ new front office includes trading an outfielder.
There’s no surprise there. What’s interesting is the names on the trade list.
The Dodgers never shopped their outfielders aggressively under former general manager Ned Colletti. Now it seems front-office shakeup could be followed by a shakeup of the major league roster.
Gabe Kapler speaks to the Taft High School baseball and softball team during a stop at his alma mater on the Dodgers Community Caravan in 2011. (Michael Owen Baker/Staff Photographer)
Gabe Kapler formally joined the Dodgers’ front office Friday with a ringing endorsement from a former teammate. Check out what retired pitcher C.J. Nitkowski wrote today on FoxSports.com about Kapler.
Hanley Ramirez dropped a strong hint in a series of tweets Thursday that he will not accept the Dodgers’ qualifying offer, a $15.3 million contract for 2015.
Ramirez has said in the past that he takes a hands-off approach to contract negotiations. While he’s expressed his two cents to the world on Twitter — and likely to his agents, Adam Katz Andy Mota — Ramirez’s camp has not formally rejected the qualifying offer, according to Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman.
This seems to be a matter of time. Ramirez has until the end of the week to decide, and might just be taking his time. It’s more likely that his agents are negotiating with other teams than mulling the qualifying offer at this point.
Earlier today, Farhan Zaidi was introduced as the Dodgers’ new general manager. Here are some highlights from his press conference that didn’t make my main story (which you can read here):
Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman confirmed that the Dodgers’ coaching staff will return next year.
Bench coach Tim Wallach, hitting coach Mark McGwire, assistant hitting coach John Valentin, pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, assistant pitching coach Ken Howell, third-base coach Lorenzo Bundy, first-base coach Davey Lopes and bullpen coach Chuck Crim will join manager Don Mattingly on the Dodgers’ staff in 2015.
The Dodgers formally announced the hires of Farhan Zaidi (general manager) and Josh Byrnes (senior vice president, baseball operations) on Thursday.
The announcement, which had been in the works for days, provides some clarity as to how the front office under Stan Kasten and Andrew Friedman will work.
“Farhan’s primary focus will be the Major League team and player acquisitions while Josh will concentrate on the oversight of scouting and player development,” Friedman said in a statement released by the team. “However, they will both work closely with me on all aspects of baseball operations in our efforts to make the Dodgers’ front office and team the best it can possibly be.”
Zaidi, 37, was previously the Oakland A’s assistant general manager.
Byrnes, 44, had been without a job since he was fired as the San Diego Padres’ general manager in June.
Zaidi will meet with the media tomorrow at Dodger Stadium.
More to follow.
Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez won the second Silver Slugger Award of his career Thursday.
Gonzalez slashed .276/.335/.482 in his second full season with the Dodgers in 2014. He hit 27 home runs and drove in a major-league leading 116 — one off his career high. He drove in 117 runs with the Boston Red Sox in 2011, the first year he won the award.
Gonzalez was the only Dodger player to win a Silver Slugger award at his position.
As expected, it looks like Hanley Ramirez will reject the Dodgers’ $15.3 million qualifying offer and become a free agent. At least, that was the logical conclusion after Ramirez all but renounced his ties to the Dodgers in a series of tweets Thursday:
Ramirez also changed his Twitter bio to read “MLB shortstop,” taken from the business card of a man who knows what position he wants to play but doesn’t care where.