Albuquerque Isotopes brawl with Reno Aces [video].

The Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate, the Albuquerque Isotopes, were involved in a massive brawl this evening during their game against the Arizona Diamondbacks-affiliated Reno Aces. Ten players were ejected:

Ben Ross of KOLO-TV in Reno provided the video and the play-by-play on Twitter:

Ross deleted the video, but we have a couple more videos below:
Continue reading

A brief postscript to the Albuquerque Isotopes’ forfeit loss.

Albuquerque Isotopes manager Damon Berryhill spoke to Examiner.com briefly about having a walk-off win changed to a forfeit loss on Tuesday.

“We got caught up in basically a paper move and just made a mistake in a transaction that ended up costing us a game,” Berryhill told reporter Chris Jackson.

That’s essentially the same explanation that Dodgers vice president of player development De Jon Watson gave us, and it lacks specifics about how the mistake was made. There are “easy mistakes to make”; this isn’t one of those.

With or without specifics, the Dodgers and Isotopes don’t come away looking good. The Isotopes have a 44-55 record and are 12 games out of first place, so one game might not matter much in the long run.

The “real victim” in all of this? Albuquerque pitcher Juan Abreu, who had a win stricken from his record by the league on Tuesday and was released from his minor-league contract Thursday. Here’s to better times, Juan.

Dodgers’ Triple-A team is forced to forfeit a victory.

A simple yet obvious bookkeeping error resulted in a forfeit loss for the Albuquerque Isotopes, the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate. Here’s the full text of a Pacific Coast League release explaining why:

The Pacific Coast League has announced an official change to the result of the July 9 game between the El Paso Chihuahuas and Albuquerque Isotopes. The game, which had been suspended due to rain and completed the following day, ended in a final score of Albuquerque 7, El Paso 6. However, that has now been declared an El Paso victory by way of forfeit.

Following the completion of the game, the Pacific Coast League determined that a 26th player was improperly added to the Albuquerque roster prior to the game. Major League Rule 2(c)(2)(b) stipulates the active roster limit for Triple-A teams is 25 players. The violation occurred as a result of the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Isotopes major league affiliate, activating an Albuquerque player from the Disabled List without making a corresponding transaction to remove a player from the Triple-A club’s Active List, which was already at the 25-player limit.

Thus, the game becomes a forfeit in the favor of the El Paso club and corresponding adjustments will be made to the teams’ respective won/loss records. Per the Official Baseball Rules, even though the final score will now be listed as a 9-0 El Paso win, individual and team statistics from the game, including runs scored, will count in the official records. However, the pitching records — win, loss, and other — will be erased.

More to come as we get it.

Dodgers option Pedro Baez to Triple-A.

The Dodgers optioned pitcher Pedro Baez to Triple-A Albuquerque after beating the San Diego Padres 1-0 on Sunday at Dodger Stadium. The corresponding roster move will be announced after the All-Star break. Baez pitched a scoreless inning Tuesday at Detroit in his most recent major-league stint.

Overall, Baez has allowed two runs in two innings with the Dodgers this season. The right-hander won’t have anywhere to pitch until Thursday, since the Pacific Coast League is in the midst of its own All-Star break.

Chone Figgins will begin rehabilitation stint Thursday with Triple-A Albuquerque.

Chone Figgins

Chone Figgins will miss his 28th consecutive game today. (Associated Press photo)

Chone Figgins, on the disabled list since June 14 with a left hip flexor strain, said he will begin a minor-league rehabilitation stint Thursday with Triple-A Albuquerque. He’s not sure how long he’ll need after missing 28 games leading into the all-star break.

“It’ll be the same as when I went down and played there the first time,” Figgins said, referring to when he was optioned to Triple-A in late April. “They’ll move me around (the field). Hopefully I can get a lot of work in.”

Friday, Figgins reported a grabbing sensation in the area of his left hip when he attempted to steal a base in drills, but he said that was the only lingering symptom of the original injury. (The team originally called Figgins’ injury a left quad strain, but Figgins said it was a hip flexor.) Now he believes the sensation was a byproduct of a lack of physical activity.

“I think it’s going to continue to get stronger,” he said.

Figgins said he will work out at Dodger Stadium Tuesday and Wednesday under the guidance of team trainers.

The Triple-A All-Star Game, between the Pacific Coast League and the International League, is Wednesday. The Isotopes begin an eight-game homestand the following day.

The Dodgers hit the road after the all-star break, visiting St. Louis, Pittsburgh and San Francisco before returning home July 29. It’s probable that Figgins will rejoin the team by the end of the month.

Figgins has a .217 batting average and a .373 on-base percentage in 38 games this season.

Dodgers announce June ‘Pride Award’ winners.

The Dodgers announced the June winners of the Dodger Pride Awards today. The awards were created in 2008 by general manager Ned Colletti, and are issued on a monthly basis to the players at each level of the club’s minor league system “who play the game with a hustling, smart, aggressive style.” Players and staff on each respective club vote for the awards.

The winners for June are as follows:
Continue reading

Dodgers place Josh Beckett on 15-day disabled list with left hip impingement.

Josh Beckett

Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett threw five shutout innings Sunday in Colorado. (Associated Press photo)

Josh Beckett, whose 2.26 earned-run average is second among Dodgers starters, was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left hip impingement Tuesday.

Beckett last pitched two days ago in Colorado and threw five shutout innings, earning his sixth win of the season. His next scheduled start was Friday in Los Angeles against the San Diego Padres. After that, Beckett wouldn’t have pitched until after the All-Star break, so it’s possible that Beckett will miss only one start. He’s eligible to return July 22, the second game of a three-game series in Pittsburgh.

Right-handed pitcher Pedro Baez was recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque. The 26-year-old had a 4.50 ERA in 17 appearances, all in relief, since being promoted from Double-A on May 25.

Baez appeared in his first and only major-league game with the Dodgers on May 5. He allowed two runs on two hits in one inning against the Nationals.

The Dodgers are scheduled to play the Detroit Tigers at 4 p.m. today at Comerica Park.

Report: Dodgers sign Roger Bernadina to minor-league contract.

The Dodgers have reportedly signed former Reds, Phillies and Nationals outfielder Roger Bernadina to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Albuquerque.

Bernadina, 30, slashed .153/.286/.203 over 71 plate appearances for the Reds this season. He started 12 games, 11 in the outfield and one at first base.

Bernadina was designated for assignment when the Reds called up pitcher Carlos Contreras on June 21. Bernadina was previously designated for assignment on May 3 when Skip Schumaker was activated from the disabled list, but rejoined the team three days later when Jay Bruce was put on the DL.

Fox Sports Ohio ran a nice feature on Bernadina in the midst of spring training.

The Albuquerque Isotopes’ outfield is currently a bit cluttered. Mike Baxter, Trayvon Robinson and Brian Cavazos-Galvez are healthy. Infielder/outfielder Casio Grider was recently recalled from Double-A, Carl Crawford is currently in Albuquerque on a rehab assignment and Joc Pederson is on the disabled list with a mild shoulder separation.

Dodgers purchase Jamie Romak’s contract from Triple-A, place Carl Crawford on 15-day DL.

Prepare for a Canadian invasion when the Dodgers host the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday.

New Dodgers third baseman Jamie Romak waited almost 11 years from the time he was drafted until the time he was added to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster Wednesday. A veteran of 1,069 minor-league games, Romak joined the Dodgers on Wednesday as Carl Crawford was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left ankle.

After such a long wait to reach the major leagues, what’s a little flight from London, Ontario, Canada to Los Angeles for Romak’s wife? Or his mom, sister, brother and friends?

“Once it sunk in it was really emotional,” the 28-year-old said. “I called my wife, my mom and she started crying. I started tearing up. Everything you wish it would be.”
Continue reading

Dodgers release Miguel Olivo, two days after brutal fight with teammate Alex Guerrero.

Miguel Olivo

Miguel Olivo was released by the Dodgers on Thursday. (Getty Images)

The Dodgers released Miguel Olivo on Thursday, two days after the catcher slugged teammate Alex Guerrero and bit off a portion of his ear in the middle of a Triple-A game in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Olivo had been suspended by the Albuquerque Isotopes on Wednesday. The Dodgers have 39 players on their 40-man roster.

The 35-year-old was only added to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster in April after a somewhat tumultuous spring training. Olivo signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers in January and received an invitation to the major-league camp. Despite batting .263 (5 for 19) in limited Cactus League playing time, Olivo was returned to the minor leagues as the Dodgers opted to keep three catchers (A.J. Ellis, Drew Butera and Tim Federowicz).

Olivo requested his release at the time but ultimately accepted an assignment to Albuquerque, where he batted .368 (28 for 76). After Ellis was placed on the disabled list and Federowicz struggled to hit major-league pitching, the Dodgers purchased Olivo’s contract May 1 and let him start six of the next 10 games.

But Olivo struggled to hit too. He struck out nine times in his last 13 at-bats while failing to collect a hit. When Ellis was activated from the disabled list May 14, Olivo was optioned back to Albuquerque. Tuesday marked Olivo’s fourth start since returning to the minors.
Continue reading