Chone Figgins will miss his 28th consecutive game today. (Associated Press photo)
, on the disabled list since June 14 with a left hip flexor strain, said he will begin a minor-league rehabilitation stint Thursday with Triple-A Albuquerque. He’s not sure how long he’ll need after missing 28 games leading into the all-star break.
“It’ll be the same as when I went down and played there the first time,” Figgins said, referring to when he was optioned to Triple-A in late April. “They’ll move me around (the field). Hopefully I can get a lot of work in.”
Friday, Figgins reported a grabbing sensation in the area of his left hip when he attempted to steal a base in drills, but he said that was the only lingering symptom of the original injury. (The team originally called Figgins’ injury a left quad strain, but Figgins said it was a hip flexor.) Now he believes the sensation was a byproduct of a lack of physical activity.
“I think it’s going to continue to get stronger,” he said.
Figgins said he will work out at Dodger Stadium Tuesday and Wednesday under the guidance of team trainers.
The Triple-A All-Star Game, between the Pacific Coast League and the International League, is Wednesday. The Isotopes begin an eight-game homestand the following day.
The Dodgers hit the road after the all-star break, visiting St. Louis, Pittsburgh and San Francisco before returning home July 29. It’s probable that Figgins will rejoin the team by the end of the month.
Figgins has a .217 batting average and a .373 on-base percentage in 38 games this season.
The Dodgers announced the June winners of the Dodger Pride Awards today. The awards were created in 2008 by general manager Ned Colletti, and are issued on a monthly basis to the players at each level of the club’s minor league system “who play the game with a hustling, smart, aggressive style.” Players and staff on each respective club vote for the awards.
The winners for June are as follows:
Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett threw five shutout innings Sunday in Colorado. (Associated Press photo)
, whose 2.26 earned-run average is second among Dodgers starters, was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left hip impingement Tuesday.
Beckett last pitched two days ago in Colorado and threw five shutout innings, earning his sixth win of the season. His next scheduled start was Friday in Los Angeles against the San Diego Padres. After that, Beckett wouldn’t have pitched until after the All-Star break, so it’s possible that Beckett will miss only one start. He’s eligible to return July 22, the second game of a three-game series in Pittsburgh.
Right-handed pitcher Pedro Baez was recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque. The 26-year-old had a 4.50 ERA in 17 appearances, all in relief, since being promoted from Double-A on May 25.
Baez appeared in his first and only major-league game with the Dodgers on May 5. He allowed two runs on two hits in one inning against the Nationals.
The Dodgers are scheduled to play the Detroit Tigers at 4 p.m. today at Comerica Park.
The Dodgers have reportedly signed former Reds, Phillies and Nationals outfielder Roger Bernadina to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Albuquerque.
Bernadina, 30, slashed .153/.286/.203 over 71 plate appearances for the Reds this season. He started 12 games, 11 in the outfield and one at first base.
Bernadina was designated for assignment when the Reds called up pitcher Carlos Contreras on June 21. Bernadina was previously designated for assignment on May 3 when Skip Schumaker was activated from the disabled list, but rejoined the team three days later when Jay Bruce was put on the DL.
Fox Sports Ohio ran a nice feature on Bernadina in the midst of spring training.
The Albuquerque Isotopes’ outfield is currently a bit cluttered. Mike Baxter, Trayvon Robinson and Brian Cavazos-Galvez are healthy. Infielder/outfielder Casio Grider was recently recalled from Double-A, Carl Crawford is currently in Albuquerque on a rehab assignment and Joc Pederson is on the disabled list with a mild shoulder separation.
Prepare for a Canadian invasion when the Dodgers host the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday.
New Dodgers third baseman Jamie Romak waited almost 11 years from the time he was drafted until the time he was added to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster Wednesday. A veteran of 1,069 minor-league games, Romak joined the Dodgers on Wednesday as Carl Crawford was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left ankle.
After such a long wait to reach the major leagues, what’s a little flight from London, Ontario, Canada to Los Angeles for Romak’s wife? Or his mom, sister, brother and friends?
“Once it sunk in it was really emotional,” the 28-year-old said. “I called my wife, my mom and she started crying. I started tearing up. Everything you wish it would be.”
Miguel Olivo was released by the Dodgers on Thursday. (Getty Images)
The Dodgers released Miguel Olivo
on Thursday, two days after the catcher slugged teammate Alex Guerrero
and bit off a portion of his ear in the middle of a Triple-A game in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Olivo had been suspended by the Albuquerque Isotopes on Wednesday. The Dodgers have 39 players on their 40-man roster.
The 35-year-old was only added to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster in April after a somewhat tumultuous spring training. Olivo signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers in January and received an invitation to the major-league camp. Despite batting .263 (5 for 19) in limited Cactus League playing time, Olivo was returned to the minor leagues as the Dodgers opted to keep three catchers (A.J. Ellis, Drew Butera and Tim Federowicz).
Olivo requested his release at the time but ultimately accepted an assignment to Albuquerque, where he batted .368 (28 for 76). After Ellis was placed on the disabled list and Federowicz struggled to hit major-league pitching, the Dodgers purchased Olivo’s contract May 1 and let him start six of the next 10 games.
But Olivo struggled to hit too. He struck out nine times in his last 13 at-bats while failing to collect a hit. When Ellis was activated from the disabled list May 14, Olivo was optioned back to Albuquerque. Tuesday marked Olivo’s fourth start since returning to the minors.
Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis went 1 for 2 with a single and a walk, and was caught stealing in his first rehabilitation game Sunday in El Paso, Texas. He caught all nine innings of the Albuquerque Isotopes’ 11-0 loss to the El Paso Chihuahuas.
Ellis, who had arthroscopic surgery on the meniscus in his left knee April 8, is expected to play at least one more game with the Isotopes.
“He’ll play tomorrow then we’ll evaluate where he’s at,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Sunday.
Tuesday will mark exactly five weeks since the surgery. Initial estimates placed the timetable for Ellis’ recovery at 4 to 6 weeks.
Paco Rodriguez is returning to the Dodgers.
The left-handed reliever was recalled from the Albuquerque Isotopes on Tuesday, according to a release issued by the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate. The Minnesota Twins are hosting the Dodgers tomorrow; today’s game was postponed due to inclement weather in Minneapolis and the teams will play a day-night doubleheader Thursday.
The Dodgers haven’t issued an announcement or a corresponding roster move, probably because there isn’t one. Major-league teams are allowed to carry 26 players on their 25-man roster for a doubleheader — but only in the case of day-night doubleheaders that have been scheduled 24 hours in advance. The rule went into effect with the most recent collective bargaining agreement, which was enacted in 2012.
Since this doubleheader fits the bill, Rodriguez might only be with the team Thursday before he heads back to Albuquerque.
Rodriguez allowed two runs in eight appearances spanning 5 ⅔ innings with the Dodgers. He pitched three scoreless innings at Albuquerque.
Update (5:36 p.m.): According to the minor league transactions page, Carlos Triunfel has been optioned to Triple-A Albuquerque. Triunfel’s trifle of a major-league recall lasted less than 48 hours.
Update 2 (7:30 p.m.): The Dodgers officially announced that Rodriguez has been recalled and Carlos Triunfel has been optioned to Albuquerque.
Philadelphia Phillies outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr. doesn’t regret his situation. He’s back in the major leagues after a year-and-a-half layoff. Monday, he was batting leadoff at Dodger Stadium. For the season, he’s batting .250 and is a regular in the Phillies’ outfield rotation.
If he could do anything over from the last two years, however, he admitted that he should have had surgery early in 2012. That’s when Gwynn first noticed the symptoms the led to his sports hernia surgery in September of last year.
The symptoms persisted throughout the 2012 and 2013 seasons.
“I didn’t want to have surgery at all,” he said. “I had just signed a 2-year deal at that point. The last thing you want to do is sign a deal then sit out a period of time. That’s what I was thinking at the time. But you live and you learn. You feel invincible when you’re younger. I learned the hard way that wasn’t the case.”
Jose Dominguez made just three appearances for Triple-A Albuquerque since his last appearance with the Dodgers on April 5. (Associated Press photo)
The Dodgers bolstered their depleted bullpen Monday by recalling right-hander Jose Dominguez
from Triple-A Albuquerque and optioning utility player Chone Figgins
Coming into Monday night’s game against the Philadelphia Phillies, Dodger relievers ranked second in MLB in innings pitched. Dominguez is healthy and well-rested. He’s made just five appearances in the last 17 days — three since his last game in a Dodgers uniform April 5. Four days later, the Dodgers optioned Dominguez to Albuquerque when Josh Beckett was activated from the disabled list.
Dominguez has allowed four earned runs in three appearances for the Dodgers this season.