I’m a Yankee Doodle Doggie, but I still get quite nervous when all those fireworks start going off. I also know that I’m not alone. In fact, my best friend Indiana Bones ended up in the
animal shelter after a 4th of July weekend. His family never came for him, which is very sad, but he was adopted into a new forever home and is loved, which is awesome.
Indy still cowers at the sound of the pops and bangs. It’s funny too because he is a Belgian Malinois and is supposed to be brave. Still, I can’t laugh because I’m trembling myself. And I’ll bet your pets aren’t too thrilled either. That’s why I’m sharing this:
The ASPCA recommends keeping your pooch indoors as much as possible during backyard parties and Fourth of July festivities, even if he is a pro picnicker. From toxic food and beverages to raucous guests and fireworks, the holiday weekend is a minefield of potential pet problems.
“Even the most timid dog can leap a six-foot fence if he’s spooked by loud noises,” says Dr. Pamela Reid, Vice President of the ASPCA Animal Behavior Center.
If your dog shows signs of distress from fireworks or boisterous revelers, Dr. Reid suggests giving him a Kong toy stuffed with peanut butter.
“The persistent licking should calm his nerves,” she says.
The ASPCA offers some more expert advice to keep your pet singing, “Oh Say Can You See,” all the way to the fifth and beyond:
- Keep your pet on the wagon. Since alcohol is potentially poisonous to pets, place all wine, beer and spirits well out of paws’ way.
- Avoid scraps from the grill. Stick with your pet’s normal diet– any change, even for a day, can result in stomach upset. Certain foods like onions, avocado, chocolate, grapes and raisins are especially toxic to pets.
- Skip the sunscreen. Avoid lathering your pet with any insect repellent or sunscreen not intended for the four-legged kind. Ingestion can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy.
- Stay fire-smart. Keep your pet away from fireworks, matches, citronella candles and lighter fluid, which if eaten can irritate the stomach, lungs and central nervous system.
- Be cool near the pool. Don’t leave pets unsupervised around a pool or lake– not all dogs are expert swimmers! Also, pools aren’t large water bowls– they contain chlorine and other toxic chemicals that can cause stomach problems.
As always, if you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous from the picnic table, please contact your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
For more information and tips, visit www.aspca.org
I hope I get a nice peanut butter Kong every day over the weekend!
Have a safe and happy 4th of July and paws up,