Training Days

I know it’s been a while since my last post. I’ve been busy at work trying to figure things out and since we’re still waiting on the Internet to be connected at home I really haven’t had a lot of time to browse the Internet.

So, to keep the ball rolling I’m taking suggestions – is there anything about the newsroom that you’d like to know about?

In the meantime, I’ll leave you with two things:

1) As a former Glendora resident, I’m excited about the redevelopment of the Citrus Crossing, a retail center at Citrus Avenue and Route 66 (in Azusa, across from APU). I think the area will benefit greatly from the project.

2) Is anyone as confused about this situation with Sen. Larry Craig as I am? Who knew this kind of thing went on in airport bathrooms? I listened to NPR‘s coverage this morning and thought that their sidebar on The Semiotics of Sexual Behavior was a pretty clever companion. Here’s the teaser:

Allegations of lewd conduct in a public restroom by Sen. Larry Craig raise the question of how foot-tapping or hand-waving in a toilet stall can lead to an arrest. Dr. Michael Reece, associate professor for public health at Indiana University in Bloomington, researches sexual behavior, anonymous sexual encounters and the venues where they take place. He talks with Alex Chadwick.

Link to the audio.

i-5b65e45bf9225d996304f9ec96ba905a-bathroom.jpg

This entry was posted in newspaper. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Training Days

1. Jill says:

I have something I want the Pasadena Star-News in general to know about — I would like a way to support the Star-News without receiving the physical newspaper. I much prefer to read the news online. Why not offer a subscription option that allows subscribers access to the Star-News archives online instead of receiving the paper? I have a lot of ideas about this if anyone wants to talk more about it. I very much want local journalism to thrive. I just don’t want to read the news on physical paper.

2. kate says:

All right. I’ll look into it!

3. joe says:

have you tried out the archive search?

4. h2oguru says:

While stories like this and also the one about the Gold Line extension may give the warm fuzzies to some, I get that quesy (sp?) feeling. Haven’t we over-populated our region enough? Doesn’t anyone care how we will provide the necessary social, health and other needed services to our soon-to-be new neighbors all this development is attracting while continuing to adequately serve those of us who have been around for awhile? I can tell you about our future water situation, and it isn’t pretty. I wish some credible think-tank would review our widely-accepted mantra that the only way to prosperity is through growth. I’m not smart enough to know if that is true. If it is, we’re in huge trouble and we should prepare for it.

5. h2oguru says:

6. kate says:

Interesting point, h2oguru. But from what I’ve seen of the plans, the redevelopment of Citrus Crossing doesn’t include more housing, just shops and restaurants that will basically replace the empty store fronts already there. Maybe the revenue made from revitalizing some of these shops will help contribute to the services you describe above. Plus, I believe the addition of the grocery store will hopefully benefit residents already living in that area. I agree with you that the water situation is precarious – keep an eye out on the paper’s Web site for a story on water that is set for the weekend.

7. The Larry Craig stuff is hilarious.

8. 91024 says:

There is a housing component in the redevelopment project. Here is the link with all the info: http://www.ci.azusa.ca.us/planning/FoothillCenter.asp
    The project was Foothill Center before they renamed it Citrus Crossing.

9. kate says:

My bad. Thanks for pointing that out 91024. At first look, I didn’t realize that the townhouse construction nearby is connected. I was just talking about the commercial center.

I clicked on the “Citrus Crossing” link at City of Azusa’s Web site and found sketches:

10. Jill says:

Hi Joe, those prices in archive search are *way* too high. I don’t want to pay $2.50 for a single article sight unseen, and I definitely don’t want to pay $2000/year for access to 1200 articles. That’s crazy talk! (Also, can those prices really correspond to the cost of providing electronically archived articles?)

I’m thinking about other services I pay for online. I pay $30 a year to host my pictures on Flickr. Pricing more in that neighborhood is what I’m talking about.

How about $10 a month for a Star-News membership that would give me unlimited access to the archives, a way to bookmark articles, a way to comment on and discuss articles with other members. And maybe a significantly pricier membership for people who get invited to annual parties where they get to meet other members and people from the paper? And maybe a corporate membership level as well?

Comments are closed.