Candle causes deadly fire in Hacienda Heights

Authorities said that an unattended candle in the living room started a house fire that killed a woman and her 3-year-old son Sunday night.

The woman’s husband and daughter were injured but survived the fire in the 1700 block of Piermont Drive. Pending notification of next of kin, coroner’s officials didn’t release the names of the woman or the boy.

The husband saved the daughter from the flames and carried her outside, said sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Thomas in a statement.

Thomas said the man returned to the house to help rescue his wife and son, but the woman ran back into the house to get the boy.

“She realized her son was back in there and went for her son,” Deputy Tony Moore said. But both the woman and the child were unable to be rescued until firefighters arrived.

The man and his daughter were taken to hospitals and treated for smoke inhalation, as well as for injuries the father incurred during the rescue attempt.

The incident will be handled by the sheriff’s Arson/Explosives Detail as an accidental fire investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *