Walnut opposes new Mt. Sac parking garage

By Steve Scauzillo, Staff Writer

Opponents of a proposed 2,200-space, five-level parking garage at Mount San Antonio College have gained a powerful ally: City Hall.

What started with one member of the City Council having some concerns in July grew into full-fledged opposition last week by the entire council to the construction of a concrete garage directly across from the Timberline neighborhood at Mountaineer Road and Edinger Way.

In a letter addressed to Mt. SAC Board President Fred Chyr and in a three-page resolution both passed on 5-0 votes, the City Council objected to the location, saying it would lower property values, bring congestion, air pollution and result in public safety hazards to Walnut residents.

Both documents are “urging the relocation of the proposed parking structure” and are asking the college board to find alternative locations for a parking garage within the sprawling, 420-acre Walnut campus.

In addition, the City Council demanded the Mt. SAC Board of Trustees hold a joint meeting on the topic. So far, Mt. SAC President William Scroggins has agreed to allow two trustees to meet with the Walnut City Council, a gesture that was rejected during the Aug. 28 Walnut City council meeting.

“It is imperative for us to meet with all of them,” said City Councilman Tony Cartagena. Councilwoman Mary Su said she wanted at least a majority of the seven-member Mt. SAC board to sit down with the City Council. “Two won’t represent the full board,” she said.

Walnut City Manager Rob Wishner and his staff are reportedly in discussions with Scroggins regarding some kind of joint meeting.

Scroggins said Thursday he was talking with Wishner about a meeting of three Mt. SAC board members with two Walnut city council members. “It is in the discussion stages,” Scroggins said. No dates have been announced.

Read more in Steve’s story GARAGE.