Some facts you might not know about John Henry, who will be honored on Santa Anita Handicap Day, March 3:
– He, along with Milwaukee Brew, are the only two-time winners of the Big ‘Cap.
– He won 26 of 39 starts for Hall of Fame trainer Ron McAnally, who knew just what made the feisty gelding tick.
– He’s the all-time leading money-winner for a gelding, earning about $6.5 million.
– He’s 31 today and will celebrate his 32nd birthday at the Kentucky Horse Park on March 9.
– Not only did he win the Big ‘Cap twice, but he also won the Arlington Million twice and finished second another time.
In order to figure a horse’s age in human years, you take its age, multiply by three and add eight. That means that on March 9, the amazing John Henry will be 104 years old. They say most hores live to be 15-20, that few live to be 25 and even fewer are alive at 30. It would figure that John Henry, who was sold for $1,100 as a yearling, would buck the odds.