Submitted this week to the Paulick Report, which publishes turf writers’ Top 10 Derby lists weekly:
1. Lookin At Lucky — Slated to make 2010 debut in San Felipe on March 13
2. Buddy’s Saint — Working well at Gulfstream for start in Saturday’s Fountain of Youth
3. Super Saver — May surface in Gotham Stakes on March 6 at Aqueduct
4. Jackson Bend — Another talented colt ticketed for the Fountain of Youth
5. Eskendereya — Jockey John Velazquez’s best Kentucky Derby chance?
6. Rule — Looked good airing opposition in Sam Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs
7. Ron the Greek — Closer slated for start in Risen Star at Fair Grounds on Saturday
8. Dave in Dixie — Is this come-from-behinder a real threat or ultimate tease?
9. Tiz Chrome — Deserves another shot off fourth-place effort in Lewis Stakes
10. Eightyfiveinafifty — Fell off most Derby lists after bolting in Aqueduct’s Whirlaway
I turned in my ballot before Sidney’s Candy scored his impressive victory in Monday’s San Vicente Stakes at Santa Anita. Inadvertently left Caracortado out of my top 10 after his impressive 1 3/4-length victory in Saturday’s Robert B. Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita. He should have been eighth, ahead of Dave in Dixie and Tiz Chrome. That will be corrected next week. Trainer John Sadler said he’ll most likely send Sidney’s Candy, who overpowered the San Vicente field by 4 1/4 lengths, to Aquduct for the Gotham Stakes on March 6. Dave in Dixie will start next in the San Felipe at Santa Anita on March 13.
The Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park, canceled Monday because of freezing temperatures, will now be run Saturday and is scheduled to include the Sadler-trained Domonation, D. Wayne Lukas’ Dublin and the Bob Baffert-trained Conveyance.