A big weekend of Kentucky Derby prep races nears, with the Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park the toughest of the three on paper. Also on tap are the San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita and the Tampa Bay Derby at Tampa Bay Downs.
It appears the Rebel will draw such highly regarded Derby contenders as Lookin At Lucky, Super Saver, Dublin and Noble’s Promise. The San Felipe likely will include Caracortado, Dave in Dixie, Sidney’s Candy and American Lion.
All three Derby preps will be run Saturday.
Here’s the latest Derby top 10 I turned in to the Paulick Report late Monday afternoon:
1. Lookin At Lucky — Rebel most likely will lead to start in Arkansas Derby on April 10
2. Eskendereya — He’ll go next in either Florida Derby (March 20) or Wood (April 3)
3. Super Saver — Will make 2010 debut in Rebel Stakes with Dominguez in saddle
4. Caracortado — Stiffest test to date for unbeaten Cal-bred gelding comes Saturday
5. Dublin — Loved the way he closed in Southwest Stakes; Lukas doesn’t hurt cause
6. Rule — Florida Derby at Gulfstream is Roman Ruler colt’s probable next start
7. Conveyance — Baffert is pointing this guy to the $800,000 Sunland Derby on March 28
8. Dave in Dixie — Stretch runner is one of Sadler’s two major Derby contenders
9. Discreetly Mine — Risen Star winner ticketed for Louisiana Derby on March 27
10. Buddy’s Saint — Deserves another shot; will go next in Wood Memorial at Aqueduct
Sidney’s Candy, trainer John Sadler’s other Derby contender, will be trying two turns for the first time in the 1 1/16-mile San Felipe. … Bob Baffert hasn’t given up on The Program, third in the Sham last Saturday. He believes the colt will be better on dirt. He might be right. Remember I Want Revenge?