Some facts and figures about today’s Vanity Handicap at Hollywood Park, in which Zenyatta will attempt to win a record 17th consecutive race. Citation, Mister Frisky and Cigar failed to win No. 17, but the unbeaten Zenyatta is 1-5 on the morning line to reach the elusive plateau:
* Gamely is the only distaffer to have carried more weight to victory in the Vanity than the 129 pounds Zenyatta carried in 2009. Gamely and Silver Spoon both carted 130 pounds when they won the stake. Cascapedia carried 129 when she won in 1977.
* The last horse to carry 130 pounds to victory at Hollywood Park was the great John Henry when he won the 1981 Hollywood Invitational Turf, a race now known as the Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap.
* Zenyatta’s average margin of victory has been slightly better than two lengths. Her largest victory came by 4 1/2 lengths in the Apple Blossom at Oaklawn Park in 2008. Her slimmest margin of victory was a head in last summer’s Clement L. Hirsch Stakes at Del Mar.
* Zenyatta is 6 for 6 at Hollywood Park, 6-0 at Santa Anita, and 2-0 at both Del Mar and Oaklawn Park.
* The 6-year-old daughter of Street Cry will surpass the $6 million mark with a victory today. She’s closing in on the all-time female earnings record of $6,334,296 held by Ouija Board, who was retired in 2006 after a third-place finish in the Japan Cup.
* Zenyatta can become only the fourth filly or mare to win the Santa Margarita at Santa Anita, the Apple Blossom and the Vanity in the same year, joining 2002 Horse of the Year Azeri, Bayakoa (1989) and Paseana (1992).