How fitting that the final two major preps for the 137th Kentucky Derby, last Saturday’s Blue Grass Stakes and the Arkansas Derby, were won by 19-1 and 25-1 long shots, respectively.
That’s the way it’s been this year so far with this crop of 3-year-olds, none of whom can establish any sort of consistency that would warrant Derby favoritism.
So who will be the favorite when the Derby gates open May 7? Your guess is as good as mine, although I assume Florida Derby winner Dialed In will get more than his share of support:
My latest Derby rankings:
1. Dialed In — Come-from-behind style may be suited for Churchill Downs’ long stretch
2. Nehro — Loved his runner-up effort in the Arkansas Derby; may be the real deal
3. Uncle Mo — Could still go postward as Derby favorite if he makes the race
4. Midnight Interlude — Figures to be in perfect tracking position
5. Jaycito — Don’t like the fact he might race with only one Derby prep
6. Toby’s Corner — Wood winner could be this good in wide-open year
7. Pants On Fire — How much did Jump Start colt beat in Louisiana Derby?
8. Archarcharch — Will he like Churchill as much as he enjoys Oaklawn Park?
9. Stay Thirsty — As others fall, this guy finds himself back in our rankings
10. The Factor — Proved in Arkansas Derby he can’t rate