This and that from opening day of the summer meet at Del Mar:
* Joe Talamo, who’s as enthusiastic on Twitter as he is in person, won the first race of the season, rallying with 4-1 shot Price for trainer Howard Zucker. If you have a twitter account and don’t follow Talamo, you should start.
* Mike Mitchell claimed horses out of the first two races — Times Gone By in the first for $40,000 and Isle of Prado in the second for $25,000.
* It was Kayla Stra and not Chantal Sutherland who became the first female jockey to win a race at the meet. Stra won the second with King Ledley, for trainer Gus Headley, at odds of 8-1.
* The inaugural pick five pool at Del Mar was a whopping $348,428. Very impressive.
* Nice to see Tyler Baze win the third aboard Classy Lion at 6-1. Baze was sidelined most of last summer after an accident behind the starting gate at Del Mar and didn’t return until Hollywood Park’s spring-summer meet.