Ford groupie appears on Montel

A woman fascinated with convicted serial killer Wayne Adam Ford appeared on the Montel Williams television show Monday to discuss her relationship with the death row inmate and publicize her new documentary.
Victoria Redstall, a British-born actress, gabbed with the talkshow host about she met Ford during a tour of the jail in San Bernardino County and how the pair made a pact to show the world Ford’s human side. Redstall has partnered with director James Muller to create a documentary about Ford called “Room Zero.”
A truck driver from Arcata, Ford was convicted in June 2006 of slaughtering four women — which included one from Fontana and another from Victorville — during a several months-long trial in San Bernardino Superior Court. The same jury determined Ford should receive the death penalty in August of that year. He was sentenced on Mar. 16.
Remarkably, Ford turned himself in to authorities in Humboldt County in November 1998 with a severed breast from one of his victims in his pocket. The victims, found in 1997 and 1998 in bodies of water were: Tina Renee Gibbs, 26, Lanett Deyon White, 25, Patricia Tamez, 29, and an unidentified woman whose torso was found in a slough near Eureka.
The actress once told The Sun she used to sing country songs and share childhood memories with Ford, when he was housed at West Valley Detention Center, in Rancho Cucamonga.
Redstall told the Montel show that she has visited Ford while he is on death row in state prison. She also talked about how her meeting with Ford, while he was housed at West Valley Detention Center, caused jail administrators to conduct an investigation regarding her inmate visits.
Redstall created a furor during the trial, was removed from the courtroom on at least one occasion, and was questioned on the witness stand during a special hearing. Redstall got approval from the court to shoot photographs during the trial, despite objections from lawyers on the case who questioned her media credentials.
Two of the three lawyers in the case have since become judges in San Bernardino County. Judge David Mazurek, who prosecuted the Ford case, is assigned to Victorville Superior Court. Judge Steve Mapes, who defended Ford as a deputy public defender, is assigned to Barstow Superior Court.
Deputy Public Defender Joe Canty, who led Ford’s defense team, died of a heart attack at his Upland home on June 9.

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Three face arraignment in Yucaipa homicide

Three young men ordered held in custody the beating death of 46-year-old Mark Douglas Smith are scheduled to appear in court Friday for formal arraignment.
Judge Michael A. Smith ruled that all three defendants — Aaron Alan Dixon, Christopher Dean Dacosta and Kelly Lucien McLeod — should be held over for trial after listening to testimony at a preliminary hearing on Oct. 23 in San Bernardino Superior Court.
Dixon was held on charges of voluntary manslaughter, while Dacosta and McLeod face charges of murder for their alleged roles in Smith’s death, according to prosecutor Terry Brown, of the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.
The three defendants attended a small party at a residence in the 34000 block of Avenue E, in Yucaipa, in July, according to testimony from Sheriff’s detectives at the Oct. 23 hearing. Smith, the victim, was also at the party and was reportedly acting inappropriately with young girls — some of whom were minors.
The girls reported that a drunken Smith had been grabbing at their bodies and making inappropriate comments to them, testified Detective Rick Bessinger.
Dixon fought with Smith, and Smith was left sitting on the floor next to the front door. McLeod and Dacosta then put an apparently unconscious Smith into the back of pickup truck, dumped him into a drainage ditch near a dirt extension of Avenue E and left, according to testimony.
The pair are accused of returning to the ditch about a half hour later to beat Smith with a metal pipe, which was subsequently cleaned with bleach. Authorities found Smith’s body lying face down in the ditch, with blunt force injuries to the head and various scrapes on the back.

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

McCaleb pleads not guilty

The suspected gunman in the shooting at Rialto discount mall pleaded not guilty at an arraignment Monday.
Morgan Jerreal McCaleb, of Rialto, faces charges of murder and attempted murder in the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Terry Green, of Los Angeles, and the wounding of another teenager on Oct. 7.
McCaleb, 18, and also known as “P-Nut,” is being held on $1.75 million bail at West Valley Detention Center. He is scheduled for a hearing on Oct. 23 in Fontana Superior Court.
Rialto Police arrested McCaleb on Thursday, after he had eluded and hid from about 20 officers for more than eight hours in the Tehachapi area. He ran up a steep hill, and Rialto officers shot him with a Taser gun about 7 a.m. and took him into custody.
Police said the victims, Green and another 16-year-old boy, were in the mall when they got into a fight with a group of six or seven people. During the melee, McCaleb pulled out a gun and fired at the victims, striking Terry Green in the upper body and the other victim in the legs, authorities said.
Green died at the scene, while the unnamed victim nearly bled to death because one of the bullets struck an artery.
The suspects are associated with gangs and the victims may have gang affiliation as well, police said.

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Newest Mynisha suspect set for hearing

Royal Louis Small, the 12th suspect charged with fatally shooting 11-year-old Mynisha Crenshaw, is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Wednesday in San Bernardino Superior Court.
The hearing will determine whether there is enough evidence to hold over Small for trial on the charges.
Small, also known as J-Bone, faces charges of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy and street gang allegations, according to court documents. If convicted, Small could face up to life in state prison.
The 29-year-old Small was arrested in August at a Moreno Valley residence. San Bernardino Police have said the investigation in the 2005 shooting remains open, but they would not say what directed them to Small.
If Small is held over for trial, he is likely to be added to a case with four other defendants in the case who are awaiting a re-trial scheduled for Jan. 7, according to Deputy District Attorney Ron Webster.
The defendants in the re-trial are: Sidikiba Greenwood, Sinque Morrison, Michael Barnett Jr. and Harold Phillips. A jury deadlocked over most of the charges at a trial in West Valley Superior Court, in Rancho Cucamonga, last fall.
Police detectives reported the five defendants, including Small, are part of a large group of suspected gang members who gathered at an apartment complex, near Mountain Avenue and Citrus Street, to retaliate against a rival street gang. Weapons were fired into an apartment where Mynisha and her family were having dinner.
One bullet struck Mynisha in the chest and she later died. Her older sister was seriously wounded in the attack. Authorities have said the girls were unintended victims.
Seven other defendants in the case have accepted plea bargains, and four have already been sentenced to state prison. The remaining three defendants are likely to be called at the upcoming re-trial.

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Former Little League president to be arraigned

The former president of Bloomington Little League is scheduled for arraignment Wednesday on charges alleging that he embezzled thousands of dollars from the league’s accounts.
The arraignment for Wesley Shawn Adams is set for 8 a.m. in Dept. F1 at Fontana Superior Court.
Adams, 40, faces one count of embezzlement and one of grand theft, according to court documents. He was president of the league’s board of directors.
Adams is suspected of misappropriating about $19,700 from the league in June. In August, financial records revealed the youth baseball league had a $21,000 deficit and $12 in its banking account, according to sheriff’s detectives.
Bank records show Adams wrote checks to himself for cash, detectives reported. Adams reportedly admitted to investigators that he squandered the money on gambling, according to prosecutors.
“When they asked him about it, he admitted it,” said Deputy District Attorney Lyle Scollon.
A Bloomington resident, Adams is not being held in custody.
Despite the financial setback, the Bloomington league will have a season in 2008, according to league officials. Little League Baseball/Softball will allow the Bloomington league to charter, insure them, and play baseball/softball without collecting any money until it is back on its feet financially, according to Gary Mendoza, District 21 administrator, in an earlier statement.

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email